Photo
- - - - -

SOE an Introduction and connection with The Joshua Tree?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 buzz2

buzz2

Numb ✪

• 11 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:11 PM

Looking at my deluxe version of The Joshua Tree the other day I noticed "Beautiful Ghost/Introduction to Songs of Experience" as one of the songs from the Joshua Tree Sessions.  Could not believe it at first, but amazed at how far back this idea of SOE and maybe even SOA and SOI goes.  All the way back to 1987!!!!???  I am curious if there is a connection with the Joshua Tree and the album U2 is figuring out when to release(SOE)? Perhaps a fellow fan or some of the uber fans at @u2.com (Matt, Tassoula I am talking to you) can look into this. Thank you.

#2 peterferris8

peterferris8

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,678 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:54 PM

I guess you could say there is a connection. Edge said the reason U2 have pushed back SOE is because while 80% of the album was written in early 2016, there have been some significant events and some big cultural shifts in the last 12 months - Trump in America, and, here in the UK, industrial action pretty much every other week and then Brexit. So they're taking a look at what they've got with SOE to see whether it really reflects the state of the world now. And while doing that, they also noticed a lot of the stuff happening now is similar to the stuff happening around the time The Joshua Tree was written. I think SOE will be released this year, but probably not until the last 3-4 months.

U2 gigs: The O2 Arena, London, 25/10/15 & 03/11/15 Night 1 - The Miracle

#3 HansasHeroes1991

HansasHeroes1991

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 168 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:28 PM

I remember an NME article from back in, 

I think,

June 1992, 

in which Bono referred to something with Songs of Experience in the title. 

When the Joshua Tree box set came out and Introduction to Songs of Experience was on it, 

I thought it seemed odd. 

Bono's voice sounded older in that recording than how he sounded in 1987. 

The idea probably does go back at least that far. 

I'm sure that Bono has been studying William Blake for decades now. 

I know Van Morrison was fairly preoccupied with Blake as well. 

Musically, ItSoE always felt like a kind of preamble to the title track of Zooropa to me. 

Waves of regret, waves of joy, I reached out for the one I tried to destroy...

#4 buzz2

buzz2

Numb ✪

• 11 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:33 PM

Cool in sight and thank you guys! 

#5 voicefromdc

voicefromdc

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 191 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:08 AM

I guess you could say there is a connection. Edge said the reason U2 have pushed back SOE is because while 80% of the album was written in early 2016, there have been some significant events and some big cultural shifts in the last 12 months - Trump in America, and, here in the UK, industrial action pretty much every other week and then Brexit. So they're taking a look at what they've got with SOE to see whether it really reflects the state of the world now. And while doing that, they also noticed a lot of the stuff happening now is similar to the stuff happening around the time The Joshua Tree was written. I think SOE will be released this year, but probably not until the last 3-4 months.

Maybe they have to gather some experience in this new world before they can sings songs about it  :D

Although,I would love to hear the songs they initially chose for the new album.  Especially if it is a continuation of Innocence

Edited by voicefromdc, 13 January 2017 - 02:09 AM.

#6 toyoracer

toyoracer

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 69 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

Never saw it from that angle, but now that I think about... Interesting. For instance, they went through the "innocence" era, hit big fame with 'The Joshua Tree', and from there, gain the experience to truly right the songs of experience.