• 46 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:20 AM

Great writing on this thread.

#22 vtech

vtech

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 74 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:54 AM

All valid points...Ever since 89', and of course much worse in the last 15-20 yrs, they like to say a bunch of bullshit and do whatever they wind up doing, WHENever  they wind up doing it.  Larry's the only one light on the spewing.  If the leave ONE tune from the back 2/3 of the Joshua Tree album out in the live concert, I'll be pissed.  There would have been NO point other than playing a safe bet IF they dont play its entirety...I for one could go 20+ years not hearing Still Haven't Found and With or Without you live again in a set.  Even Streets isnt what it was, but ya still gotta have it..After witnessing 54 shows in nearly 3 decades, my money was spent to hear tracks 4 thru 11....PERIOD...anything left out would provide a huge dissapointment.

#23 mirrorballgirl

mirrorballgirl

Babyface ✪✪

• 30 posts
  • LocationZagreb, Croatia

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:55 AM

I mean, think about it - let's say you're a giant U2 fan and you've always wanted to meet someone in the band.  You get to the venue before the concert early, and just so happen to catch one or more of the members who decided to stop to sign autographs.  You've got Bono's attention for ten seconds.  What do you do?  Try to blurt out a coherent quick sentence on a complex topic and try to express that the fans aren't being respected in the way that they had been for the band's entire career, and hope that it somehow sinks in, knowing full well that the band signed a multi-year management deal and that nothing is likely to change?  Or worse, that the band would say they knew, and they didn't care?  Or do you quickly tell him that you love the music, and maybe try to sneak in a song request?  I'm willing to bet that over the course of the tour, not one fan wasted their ten seconds to say that organizationally, things are falling through the cracks.

That would be the perfect topic for the tea ceremony with Bono and Julia Roberts, the winner should definitely raise this issue there, on behalf of all of us. Who knows, maybe Julia will help too.  ;)

#24 jeffwalsh

jeffwalsh

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 464 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:56 PM

The problem with this dissection of the timeline is it takes place in a vacuum, and isn't addressing that ticket prices for every band went up primarily because of people pirating their albums and bands making far less revenue from their catalog than ever before, so touring has become the one area where they can still hold the line on financials. Add ticket prices for other bands in, add Napster in, etc., etc., and then it would be a more complete picture. It also excludes the fact that $50 on the Pop Mart isn't being adjusted over time, and assuming that $50 then and now are the same values, which isn't true. Not that this is unusual, Hollywood never uses adjusted numbers, either, or else no movie would ever bring in more box office than Gone With The Wind.

#25 yardie

yardie

Night and Day ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 1,865 posts
  • LocationCo.Antrim, Northern Ireland

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:26 PM

I'm not nervous about the tour at all. I think a valid point was raised earlier re: RHMT. Listened back, and do think Bono might struggle to hit some of those notes in his more advanced years - however, would never under-estimate his tenacity to achieve some version of the song with the rest of the band. Maybe a cooked down version of the song akind to what they did with Every Breaking Wave on the last tour. Much preferred the album version of that song to the slower tempo live one - but it worked in the context of the show.

I'm really quite excited to see how the band will approach a retro tour for the first time. I'm hoping they will have quite a bit of fun with it, if truth be told. It's a real opportunity for them to mix it up a bit as clearly the JT songs won't supplement a 2hr plus gig, a 22-25 song (as has been the U2 live way for the most part) setlist on their own.

What will the PA rig / stage look like? Was the Christmas day Joshua Tree a hint?

A really interesting next 3 to 4 months ahead if only for the fact the band are not (as we know to this point) touring any new material. Fantastic to see the them come outdoor this summer - totally unexpected.

However, I do hope they push on from this in whatever form it takes, and realease the new material pre year end, say fall/Autumn - and back that up with perhaps early 2018 southern hemisphere shows.

#26 superyeyo

superyeyo

Babyface ✪✪

• 45 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:56 PM

I'm not nervous about the tour at all. I think a valid point was raised earlier re: RHMT. Listened back, and do think Bono might struggle to hit some of those notes in his more advanced years - however, would never under-estimate his tenacity to achieve some version of the song with the rest of the band. Maybe a cooked down version of the song akind to what they did with Every Breaking Wave on the last tour. Much preferred the album version of that song to the slower tempo live one - but it worked in the context of the show.
I'm really quite excited to see how the band will approach a retro tour for the first time. I'm hoping they will have quite a bit of fun with it, if truth be told. It's a real opportunity for them to mix it up a bit as clearly the JT songs won't supplement a 2hr plus gig, a 22-25 song (as has been the U2 live way for the most part) setlist on their own.
What will the PA rig / stage look like? Was the Christmas day Joshua Tree a hint?
A really interesting next 3 to 4 months ahead if only for the fact the band are not (as we know to this point) touring any new material. Fantastic to see the them come outdoor this summer - totally unexpected.
However, I do hope they push on from this in whatever form it takes, and realease the new material pre year end, say fall/Autumn - and back that up with perhaps early 2018 southern hemisphere shows.

Agree:RHMT should fit perfect in a B Stage kind of thing.
Also....expecting them to throw in some new songs before SOE comes out....hopefully it should be out while they are still on tour and make it like a 1-2 punch kind of thing.

Edited by superyeyo, 26 January 2017 - 07:56 PM.

#27 charov

charov

Numb ✪

• 19 posts
  • Locationwhere the streets have no name....

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:59 PM

Vertigojds: 

I love U2 like mad, but  yes, I agree with much of what you said.  I thought I was the only one to think that way.  I felt it was odd the way they marketed the I E Tour.

I wondered why they would pressure us to buy 2 nights worth of tickets. I really did not want to spend that much money. Also there was no way to choose which

night to go to. They gave no description of how to choose which night to go to. So I just chose the first night at random. I also was surprised to find myself behind

the stage. I thought I choose a a view of the front of the stage. Still I love them like mad, and more and more each day,  I guess you have to be patient with artists.

#28 generationwithoutname

generationwithoutname

Numb ✪

• 15 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 07:45 PM

"Nervous for the new tour?" NO!!!

#29 jaanakulo

jaanakulo

Babyface ✪✪

• 27 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:17 PM

Nope, not nervous cos not going :)

pretty sure they certainly will play the whole album that is not the question

I just personally feel my nearest and dearest U2 time really was the decade 1982-92 and then, the amazing 360 tour. I only regret I did not attend the Elevation tour that was a mistake but the band was not in the radar then even though the album was.

Otherwise, this one I shall skip cos it is impossible to live it again, live, that album with this band, cannot do. Cannot imagine how they could do it without a pathetic one getting sad.

Instead heading to a Skeleton Tree tour. I can cry out there.

PS. I very much agree that the idea of I&E how it was sold was brilliant! Loved it. Two different nights, yes! and even though it did not happen (a pity but maybe it would have been too difficult and expensive with all the visuals and the manuscript) saw the show twice and it certainly had its moments. October, Every Breaking Wave, New Years Day, very special.

And Larrys blue shirt. And caught the eyes of the Edge from the stage, yep, great.

So, until the next album maybe. 

PS 2. Well well. Have thought this over after hearing some comments from the band and looking through some 87 tour stuff 

hmm. Well. Dublin Croker 22nd might have been a wonderful wonder. All the best for the crowd & for the band.

Edited by jaanakulo, 20 February 2017 - 03:12 PM.

#30 lysowski

lysowski

Numb ✪

• 12 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:42 PM

Like   zooropamofo  I am also a huge Bruce and U2 fan.  I saw The River tour three times in 2016.  The first two I saw they played The River straight through from the beginning and it was awesome.  The third time The River was not played.  I think sometime during the first half of 2016 they announced that on the last leg The River would not be played (not sure if tickets for this leg were sold before or after the announcement.)  Anyway the point is bands and set lists change while on tour; however, I'm sure glad I got to see The River redux.  

As far as The Joshua Tree I surely hope they play straight through and as much as I love the first three 'hits' I am more stoked about the second half of the album. Especially   7. "In God's Country"

8. "Trip Through Your Wires"  and 9. "One Tree Hill".  For some reason this trio are my favorites on the album.   

#31 jaanakulo

jaanakulo

Babyface ✪✪

• 27 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:46 PM

This is it

hands up! 

At the same time I wonder how the band of young men can gets translated with a message to another time another place

is it really possible

but yeah after some thought I think they might

to some extent at least

why, cos they are sort of a best band in the planet and aware

as they have always been it is great and precious

the only ones, four guys for forty years - and we all love them so.  Keep on and stay. Whatever comes and goes, songs like this in a day like today really comforted and made sense, here, in a life. 

Thank you, U2. 

Edited by jaanakulo, 20 February 2017 - 10:19 PM.

#32 hicksong

hicksong

Ultraviolet ✪✪✪✪✪

• 203 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:49 PM

Nervous? No.... Excited.... Yes..... just knowing that I am going to 3 U2 shows this summer makes me happy. I'll take then in whenever they dish it up. Do I want to hear/see JT in it's entirety in sequence.... you Bet I do !

#33 adrnik

adrnik

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 139 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:01 PM

Why be nervous for the tour? It's not as if the band have suddenly got crap at playing live after 40 years!

I could understand why the band want to play a more stripped down version of RHMT but I hope they play it in full as it is the one album track I am eager to hear live.

#34 adamezro

adamezro

Numb ✪

• 11 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:57 PM

Always nervous at a U2 concert!!

My nervousness comes from two (and a bit) simple reasons - Will they play WOWY (missed out on some of the Vertigo nights) and will they play "Bad" and the bit is will Bono add "Shine Like Stars" to WOWY! (Clearly guaranteed WOWY on this tour!)

I will be gutted if they don't play the entire album, don't mind if it's not in order, just really want to hear all the songs. For the rest, I just want them to mix-it up night to night. The previous few tours have been far too rigid (especially 360, which was too tied into the staging / production). I & E was better but not hard to predict what they would play.

Would also like them to bring back the magic for the introduction of Streets, nothing has compared since the Elevation Tour at Slane Castle (Go Home - DVD) - which was truly mind blowing!

As a side note - Was also really disappointed with the 2 nights’ idea not being fully explained before tickets went on sale for I & E, was really poorly communicated (but was relieved when the concept switched!)

If I had my 10 seconds, I would ask for "Shine Like Stars!!!" and probably Heartland too!

First saw them at The Point Depot on December 30th 1989 "It's no big deal, it's just -- we have to go away and...and dream it all up again" and multiple times on the tours since. For TJT 2017 tour, have 2 x nights in London (GA and Gold) and Croke Park (Pitch 2) - Every other gig I go to, before the band comes on stage, for a brief moment I wish it U2 coming on, so in July will happen 3 times - YAY!!!!!!!!

Edited by adamezro, 24 February 2017 - 02:01 PM.

#35 willdo

willdo

Numb ✪

• 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:07 AM

I'm nervous about the stage height! I'm bringing my 13 year old son in the GA. I hope he can see everything!
Have you seen the stage from the Joshua Tree tour? It was so high!
With it being stadium shows, I'm nervous! They're usually higher.

#36 vertigojds

vertigojds

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 137 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:49 AM

The problem with this dissection of the timeline is it takes place in a vacuum, and isn't addressing that ticket prices for every band went up primarily because of people pirating their albums and bands making far less revenue from their catalog than ever before, so touring has become the one area where they can still hold the line on financials. Add ticket prices for other bands in, add Napster in, etc., etc., and then it would be a more complete picture. It also excludes the fact that $50 on the Pop Mart isn't being adjusted over time, and assuming that $50 then and now are the same values, which isn't true.

That's a fair point in that prices naturally go up over time, and I wouldn't have expected prices to remain absolutely static over twenty years.  But I think it's also fair to say that prices have far exceeded inflation and cost of living adjustments over that time period.  Adjusting for inflation, the prices today still exceed what they were then.

For instance, a inflation calculator suggests that $50 in 1997 would be worth about $75 today.  When I saw them at Giants Stadium in 1997, all tickets were equally priced at $50.  For this current tour, the top price is $280 - most of the lower and middle levels are priced at that amount, representing the majority of tickets.  Some lower and middle level seats, along with a lot of upper level seats, are priced at $155.  A lot of the upper level seats are priced at $100.  There are some tickets in the back rows of the highest level as little as $35, but those don't represent a significant quantity of the total tickets.  The general admission floor tickets are $75 - which comparatively speaking is a value, but to me could be considered a decrease in value compared to a reserved front section floor ticket for $50 back in the day, when you'd be guaranteed your space.  (I prefer general admission myself, but I recognize that a guaranteed front area ticket for $50 has more value than a general admission ticket for $75 where you could wind up in the back.)

To my mind, while it's technically true that U2 are offering tickets on this tour that are cheaper than their tickets used to be, the practical reality is that the majority of people purchasing tickets will be asked to pay significantly more than they were in 1997.

Most of the bands that I saw in 1997-1999 when I was first getting into live music have doubled their prices since then, which isn't nothing, but happened over a twenty year span.  In the same span, U2's prices have increased to about six times what they used to be.  I don't think it's necessarily a coincidence that Live Nation is now managing their tours because I have seen similar price increases for bands that are booked by Live Nation compared to bands that aren't.  Live Nation offers the artist huge paydays in exchange for handling all of the touring logistics; once they've gotten the band to sign on, Live Nation has to get the money back somehow, so that's where they go.  I think in a lot of these cases, the artist is happy to take the check and isn't even aware of what the prices are. 

I definitely miss the old days when all tickets were the same price, and everyone had a chance at getting good tickets - maybe you'd be up in the front, maybe you wouldn't, but it wasn't just about who could buy a better view.  Nowadays, when U2 tickets go onsale, I imagine many fans must be crushed because they know that their budget won't even allow them the possibility of good seats.  I felt it was one thing back in the day if I tried for tickets and didn't wind up with good ones - just the luck of the draw.  Now it bothers me that people don't even get the chance to try for good tickets anymore.

Edited by vertigojds, 10 March 2017 - 01:52 AM.