why Twickenham and not Wembley Stadium

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ourmaninbananas

ourmaninbananas

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 72 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

why not Wembley in London - that weekend is free, but they're playing Twickers, which sucks to get back from after a concert - and surely these days it won't take more than 3 days to break down Adele's stage from the 1st July...

#2 joshthetree

joshthetree

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,256 posts
  • LocationFrackpool

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:59 PM

Its a real bit h getting there from where I live up north but gotta do it
fact is fiction and TV reality

#3 cdparky

cdparky

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 75 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:11 AM

why not Wembley in London - that weekend is free, but they're playing Twickers, which sucks to get back from after a concert - and surely these days it won't take more than 3 days to break down Adele's stage from the 1st July...

At a guess, with Tottenham playing all their games there next season they could have reached the limit of events Wembley can hold in a year.

#4 monica martino

monica martino

Lemon ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 6,009 posts
  • LocationNorthside, just across the river to the southside

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:57 AM

Having the tour a tight schedule they considered venues close to airports?

#5 DBUGGY

DBUGGY

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 103 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:27 AM

Twickenham is the worst possible venue for them to play. It's a nightmare getting back into town from there. Plus the really rubbish thing is they have a curfew there because of residents.

Which will basically mean the concert starts earlier when it will probably be bright sunshine, the lighting show won't kick in until much later in the show, just like 2005.

As Bono said on Vertigo tour, we have a strict curfew in place and they don't give the rugby any shit.

Wembley, the London Stadium or even the Emirates would have been better. But still I'll be there both days ;)

#6 jambo_dondo

jambo_dondo

Numb ✪

• 24 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:06 AM

Yes have to say would have preferred a different location in London (or even better one nearer me- shame they aren't doing Elland Road like on original tour as I'm in Leeds) as remember it being a nightmare getting back into town the last time they played there and indeed when I saw the Stones there.

I did try to get a cheap hotel nearer to the stadium but had no luck so had to go for a hotel in London so will have to battle through the crowds!

#7 carlhancox

carlhancox

Babyface ✪✪

• 44 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:14 PM

Those from the UK looking for hotels, and wanting to avoid central London, I've always found the Heathrow hotels quite well placed for gigs and rugby at Twickenham.....
They tend to be far cheaper than Richmond / anything back towards central London, and it's only about 5 miles (20 min taxi / Uber) to the stadium. Good for the following morning if you're staying over, straight onto the M4 or M25 to get home, and also on concert day, you'll be coming in from the opposite direction to central London, so crowds should be a little easier in theory.
See you all at Twickenham......

#8 brupars

brupars

Numb ✪

• 20 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:04 AM

Glad we booked the Hilton up the road as soon as the second show was announced. No problem for us, but it booked solid right afterwards.

#9 joeyanne

joeyanne

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 131 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:58 AM

I booked the easy hotel out at heathrow. Far from fancy (the room I've booked doesn't even have a window) but I've always found easyhotels great for when you just need a bed, shower and somewhere to keep your stuff. It was much cheaper than anything near the stadium even factoring in getting a taxi/uber. I'm also arriving by coach into heathrow and have booked the bus which goes to/from the hotel so hopefully everything will be quite hassle free.

#10 stephenpooley

stephenpooley

Babyface ✪✪

• 47 posts
  • LocationWaterford, Ireland

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:49 PM

Also staying at a Heathrow Airport hotel, very cheap. I'm from Ireland and I'm getting married in July. All the European dates are while I'm on honeymoon, except London night 1,which is the day after the wedding. So we are getting married in Cork on the 7th July, flying to London on the 8th for the show, flying back to Cork the morning of the 9th,then flying to Sydney from Dublin later that night.
The things I'll do just to hear some rarities like Exit and Trip Through Your Wires... ☺️

#11 Heather S

Heather S

Babyface ✪✪

• 49 posts
  • LocationWiltshire, UK

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:29 PM

Yes have to say would have preferred a different location in London (or even better one nearer me- shame they aren't doing Elland Road like on original tour as I'm in Leeds) as remember it being a nightmare getting back into town the last time they played there and indeed when I saw the Stones there.

I did try to get a cheap hotel nearer to the stadium but had no luck so had to go for a hotel in London so will have to battle through the crowds!

I will have a £39 travelodge room going spare for the Sunday night. It's in Richmond so possible to walk. I haven't cancelled it yet. Let me know in case you fancy that and can cancel your London hotel.

#12 NickGreeen88

NickGreeen88

Numb ✪

• 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:06 PM

A number of gigs at Wembley now seem to operate a Floor Standing/Unreserved Level 1 seats system, have been to a few there now with this. Maybe something to do with fire regulations and not being able to separate standing/seating ticket holders at the entrances and concourse areas? So if you think of the price difference for U2 between GA and Level 1 seats and the potential for them not to be able to offer this at Wembley, maybe this was a contributing factor in playing Twickenham?

Agree Twickenham is a pain to get to/from by public transport so we have decided to drive and have booked parking at a local school.

#13 christian.oldcorn

christian.oldcorn

Numb ✪

• 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:49 AM

been to twickenham for a number of non-rugby events.

after the show don't wait for shuttle buses.  walk the mile or two over the bridge to Richmond and get on the tube.  You'll be in central London 90 minutes after the show ends (unless of course tfl have maintenance work going on!