Bono Joshua Tree 1987 2017 voice

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 bmillis

bmillis

Numb ✪

• 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:29 PM

Sorry...I know I'm going to get flamed for this...   Bono can't sing anymore.  His range is gone....especially his lower register.   I'm not trying to be mean spirited but I can't fathom shelling out money to see the Joshua Tree Tour 2017 when I know I'd be getting Bono 2017 versus Bono 1987.  I know, I know....people get old and their voice changes.  However, I'm at the point where I find his voice annoying and I cringe when I hear him sing from their older catalog...i.e. Joshua Tree.  And I'm not cringing because I don't like him...it's more of a feeling of pity.  I know that many think his voice is great...so if you feel that way I hope you got tickets and enjoy the show.  Me...I'm bowing out.  I've seen them over a dozen times and it's time to call it quits.  

Anyone else feel the same way?   Again, not trying to start a war...just my opinion.

#2 Grande 3:16

Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 403 posts
  • LocationWhere The Streets Have No Name (Perth, Western Australia)

Posted 01 February 2017 - 02:20 AM

To be honest, when they performed SYCMIOYO at (I think it was) the Grammys in 2005(?) I thought they were finished. I even said I wouldn't pay to see that. Maybe Bono was just having an off day, because I haven't heard him sound like that since.

His range isn't what it used to be, but he can still get up.

"There's obviously been a clear case of instrument envy and Sting and myself have four thick, long strings and he's got six girly ones." - Adam Clayton

#3 zooropamofo

zooropamofo

Numb ✪

• 23 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:20 AM

Sorry...I know I'm going to get flamed for this...   Bono can't sing anymore.  His range is gone....especially his lower register.   I'm not trying to be mean spirited but I can't fathom shelling out money to see the Joshua Tree Tour 2017 when I know I'd be getting Bono 2017 versus Bono 1987.  I know, I know....people get old and their voice changes.  However, I'm at the point where I find his voice annoying and I cringe when I hear him sing from their older catalog...i.e. Joshua Tree.  And I'm not cringing because I don't like him...it's more of a feeling of pity.  I know that many think his voice is great...so if you feel that way I hope you got tickets and enjoy the show.  Me...I'm bowing out.  I've seen them over a dozen times and it's time to call it quits.  

Anyone else feel the same way?   Again, not trying to start a war...just my opinion.

Ummm....have you watched Bad from I&E Live in Paris? RTSS from the Vertigo Tour DVD? In all honesty, while I appreciate the 1987 period, I find that Bono was over-singing some of those songs at that time.  His more nuanced delivery from AB forward is more pleasing IMO.

His lower register has never sounded better than The Troubles from SOI

I have a will for survival
So you can hurt me
And then hurt me some more
I can live with denial

But you’re not my troubles anymore

There are some songs that give him fits these days....With Or Without You is one of them...but I think he will deliver a strong set of shows this year.

#4 pain_18_

pain_18_

Discotheque ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 34,469 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:08 AM

Bono's best singing period is 1984 - 1997.....His lower register on *POP* is the best I've ever heard .......

#5 jeffwalsh

jeffwalsh

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 464 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:18 PM

I haven't really compared the two periods qualitatively, but I always feel that live Bono emotionally connects with what he is singing, and while I don't recall a moment where I heard a sour note or longed for the past, it always sort of brings me in to enjoy it. I'm not the same when I heard it in 1987, either, so we're both bringing decades of experience to bear on the material. If it was about hoping he hit all the notes perfectly in the same keys, and there was no emotion behind it... then I'd stay home.

Edited by jeffwalsh, 01 February 2017 - 01:19 PM.

#6 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 34,469 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 01 February 2017 - 02:40 PM

It's not about being perfect here........Not at all......It's just that his voice used to sound cooler in the past...and not so much these days..... In my opinion........not talking about hitting the right notes just for the sake of it........ It's just that......his voice has dramatically changed over the last few years and sometimes  I can't feel the emotion either due do this change........

Edited by pain_18_, 01 February 2017 - 02:41 PM.

#7 afg

afg

Numb ✪

• 16 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:55 PM

Every decade his voice has changed, so even 10 years later in 1997 he didn't sing the older songs the same way.  But even from a music standpoint, the way they play the older songs live is not always exactly the same either.   I just listened to a bootleg show from the I&E tour. The opening set included Gloria, I will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday.  Bono sounded great.  I was surprised by his range on some of those songs.  Even when he sings parts of older songs a bit differently it still sounds good and when they play their newer material I wouldn't want to hear his 1987 voice on those songs.  The JT songs will make up less than half of the setlist on this tour.   So I think the versatility of his voice will allow him to sing the older songs and the newer ones.

Edited by afg, 01 February 2017 - 04:05 PM.

#8 Shannon387

Shannon387

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,731 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:56 PM

If you're expecting perfection, stay home & listen to the album. His voice and he as a person has changed through the years. It happens to everyone. Expecting him or anyone to remain exactly the same or completely perfect every time is unreasonable. They've been around 40 years....yes, they've evolved through the years. I still enjoy the way he sings, even more so live. I think he actually sounds better live. He still has a great voice albeit different but still enjoyable. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

#9 bmillis

bmillis

Numb ✪

• 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:52 PM

Appreciate the responses. I'm curious how 2017 Bono approaches RHMT considering how I feel about his voice.  I'm guessing a lot of fans are jazzed to hear that song live.  That song comes across as really difficult to sing.   Thanks for recommending some recent performances where you felt his voice was spot on.  I will have to check them out. I've got a lot of live recordings and I really cherish the ones from the Zoo TV/Zooropa era where I felt his voice was at its peak.  I do think he can have occasional moments but I don't think he is consistent.  And it's not about perfection...its that he just doesn't sound good to me anymore.  I want to emphasize It's not that I dislike U2/Bono....I think they're great.... it's more of a feeling of disappointment.   Like said, I'm sure there are people that 100% disagree with me and I respect that....not trying to offend anyone.

#10 mgoughler

mgoughler

Numb ✪

• 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:34 PM

Cool Story - My wife and I went to a show in Chicago for the Vertigo Tour.  We had general admission tickets.  Got there early enough to be 3 people from the center of the "circle".  Needless to say, once the concert got going, it was hot and crazy.  It was not for my wife.  So, she said, "I'm just going to the back of the floor, I'll meet up with you after".  She went to get water and was walking back to the floor and passed the sound section.  One of the sound people said, "Hey, is that for me?" meaning the water, she said sure and threw it to him.  Well, he let her into the sound sections, sat her on a stool and put production headsets on.  She heard the voice feed from Bono's mic,all of the feed back from the production people, etc. etc..  I forget what song they were doing, but she said one point, one of them was yelling....all hyped up....saying,"HE'S ON...HE'S ON....HE IS IN RARE FORM.  LISTEN TO HIM TONIGHT.  HAVEN'T HEARD HIM THIS GOOD SINCE......"  Anyway, since this was about voice and all...she heard the raw voice feed and was amazed....and apparently so was the crew that night.  She left with that experience plus some crew (not for public) Vertigo memorabilia...pins, posters, etc..   

#11 Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 403 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:25 PM

I'm curious how 2017 Bono approaches RHMT considering how I feel about his voice. I'm guessing a lot of fans are jazzed to hear that song live. That song comes across as really difficult to sing.

I'm wondering if they might cheat a little and have Edge perform it solo like SBS at PopMart.

"There's obviously been a clear case of instrument envy and Sting and myself have four thick, long strings and he's got six girly ones." - Adam Clayton

#12 nyru2

nyru2

Numb ✪

• 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:32 PM

Cool Story - My wife and I went to a show in Chicago for the Vertigo Tour.  We had general admission tickets.  Got there early enough to be 3 people from the center of the "circle".  Needless to say, once the concert got going, it was hot and crazy.  It was not for my wife.  So, she said, "I'm just going to the back of the floor, I'll meet up with you after".  She went to get water and was walking back to the floor and passed the sound section.  One of the sound people said, "Hey, is that for me?" meaning the water, she said sure and threw it to him.  Well, he let her into the sound sections, sat her on a stool and put production headsets on.  She heard the voice feed from Bono's mic,all of the feed back from the production people, etc. etc..  I forget what song they were doing, but she said one point, one of them was yelling....all hyped up....saying,"HE'S ON...HE'S ON....HE IS IN RARE FORM.  LISTEN TO HIM TONIGHT.  HAVEN'T HEARD HIM THIS GOOD SINCE......"  Anyway, since this was about voice and all...she heard the raw voice feed and was amazed....and apparently so was the crew that night.  She left with that experience plus some crew (not for public) Vertigo memorabilia...pins, posters, etc..   

That is a great story. I am a part tim sound engineer and Id probably rather sit where she sat than up front! 

#13 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 34,469 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:34 PM

Love this story !!!!

#14 nyru2

nyru2

Numb ✪

• 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:35 PM

Maybe they should just bring this guy up for RHMT.. :-)

#15 afg

afg

Numb ✪

• 16 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:49 PM

Impressive

#16 sbeck

sbeck

Ultraviolet ✪✪✪✪✪

• 225 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:38 PM

We went to Chicago shows but they won't put the caps on the water so you can't throw them.  I am not trying to pour water on the story, pun, since that is cool but we had water and u could have the bottle but they take cap, or they put it in a cup, more easily spilled.  Anyway, I would like to think that is cool.

#17 moyabean

moyabean

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 98 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:01 PM

bmillis, I suppose we're all different in what we're looking for in a live show. For me, it's never been about how good or bad Bono's voice is. I've never thought that he has a traditionally great voice. But, what he may lack vocally he makes up for with his immense passion. It's that passion that hooked me when I was a kid and keeps me hooked to this day. So, even when he can't hit a note, or isn't able to perform vocally as he did decades ago, I'm not bothered because the passion, message, and meaning are all still there. You ears are just tuned differently. I wouldn't go, either, if I felt the performance would make me cringe!

#18 Michele700

Michele700

Numb ✪

• 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:34 AM

I'm happy to say I completely disagree with you, bmillis, and I think I'm even being objective (which is hard as I am a diehard fan). I've been a fan of U2 since the early 80's and was there for the original Joshua Tour. I think that Bono's voice may have deepened with age, but lately I've been listening to Songs of Innocence non-stop (it took me a while to get into it, but now that I am, I love it --- as much as J. Tree) and Bono's voice is rich and spot on. We just got back from holidays so on the plane I had Songs of Innocence on and Wow. So . . . no, I don't agree with you. If you're talking about live shows, it probably depends on how he's feeling, how much he's been singing, and whatever else goes on with a singer's voice.

#19 Michele700

Michele700

Numb ✪

• 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:36 AM

Love this! Thank you.

#20 Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 403 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:25 AM

To be honest, when they performed SYCMIOYO at (I think it was) the Grammys in 2005(?) I thought they were finished. I even said I wouldn't pay to see that. Maybe Bono was just having an off day, because I haven't heard him sound like that since.

His range isn't what it used to be, but he can still get up.

I might be thinking of a different performance, I just watched the Grammys one and it was quite good.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bono, Joshua Tree, 1987, 2017, voice