A message to the band - Just an idea for the tour

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mgoughler

mgoughler

Numb ✪

• 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:58 PM

Let me know what you all think of this idea.  I don't mind if you don't like it.  That's why I'm asking. It's something that came to mind while reading the Rolling Stone article(s) about how the Tour came about.  

It seems like while there may have been a show...or a few shows...Celebrating the Joshua Tree the idea to make it a tour out of it happened when Trump was elected President of the United States.  That's when the brakes were put on the SOE and more thought was put into "the future".

I would LOVE to see Bono send a Tweet to the POTUS every night of the tour, during the shows.  Similar to the calls he made during the ZOO T.V. shows.  The whole world knows he (Trump) can't resist responding to tweets directed at him.  And, when the tweet goes out, everybody at the shows can retweet.  I'd like to know how the fans feel about this?  Maybe, if enough like the idea, the band would take notice and consider it?  You never know right?  Anyway....at least something good came from this election....THIS TOUR!  

#2 Shannon387

Shannon387

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,731 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:09 PM

I hate twitter. It contains far too much hatred & negativity already. With that in mind... Personally,I'm not sure trolling Trump on twitter would be a good move. Someone wise once said don't become a monster in order to defeat a monster. I'm not sure Bono or any of the band members are all that fond of twitter anyway. From my understanding, they are mainly on Instagram & the rest gets communicated for them. I'd like the idea of them sharing YouTube videos of what Bono says like they've done before.

#3 sbeck

sbeck

Ultraviolet ✪✪✪✪✪

• 225 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:29 PM

elections have consequences.

#4 mgoughler

mgoughler

Numb ✪

• 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

I hate twitter. It contains far too much hatred & negativity already. With that in mind... Personally,I'm not sure trolling Trump on twitter would be a good move. Someone wise once said don't become a monster in order to defeat a monster. I'm not sure Bono or any of the band members are all that fond of twitter anyway. From my understanding, they are mainly on Instagram & the rest gets communicated for them. I'd like the idea of them sharing YouTube videos of what Bono says like they've done before.

Fair enough.  I just have a very strong feeling that the entire show will have a very very strong political vibe intertwined in it.  I like getting opinions from others.  Keeps me on the right path.  Thanks for the reply.  Hoping to see others.

#5 Shannon387

Shannon387

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,731 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:53 PM

It definitely will during certain portions of the show. I'm actually looking forward to hearing what he/they have to say. I'm just not sure twitter is a good place to communicate anything effectively. Trump is not your typical President he's a reality show twitter troll who's easily offended & will completely shut out anyone whom he doesn't like or sees as offensive. Bono, from a humanitarian standpoint, would & I'm sure is keeping this in mind.

#6 DBUGGY

DBUGGY

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 103 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:22 AM

Not sure that's a great idea really, we don't want U2 being banned from playing in the US  :wacko:

#7 Grande 3:16

Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 403 posts
  • LocationWhere The Streets Have No Name (Perth, Western Australia)

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:27 PM

Not sure that's a great idea really, we don't want U2 being banned from playing in the US :wacko:

I'm half expecting this already.

"There's obviously been a clear case of instrument envy and Sting and myself have four thick, long strings and he's got six girly ones." - Adam Clayton

#8 theladyA

theladyA

Babyface ✪✪

• 30 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:29 PM

It definitely will during certain portions of the show. I'm actually looking forward to hearing what he/they have to say. I'm just not sure twitter is a good place to communicate anything effectively. Trump is not your typical President he's a reality show twitter troll who's easily offended & will completely shut out anyone whom he doesn't like or sees as offensive. Bono, from a humanitarian standpoint, would & I'm sure is keeping this in mind

Shannon387 you raise a really good point, during Bono's alter persona's in the early 90's coming out of JT and into Zoo TV tour from AB...those personas of MacPhisto, The Fly and Mirror Ball Man were strong political statements.  He just became MacPhisto on Jimmy Kimmel for (Red) a few months ago and I think we will see some rendition of him again.  Some on these posts believe the tour will stay in the time bubble of JT and not address things they did before and after, but as a retrospective and artists with something fresh to say with JT and their collective work, they must.  I highly doubt, as you say, that now after those days and Bono's rise as one of if not the leader in humanitarian/philanthropic endeavors (One.org, Red etc...) that he will jeopardize any support in the name of his art.  But.......this is about exactly that and coming out of JT, with his reinterpretation of Ronald Reagan's voice in Bullet the Blue Sky, he will surely directly address Trump and he should.  Edge said the tour is coming out of their lens looking at how history changing in the UK and US with Brexit/Trump elections.  The power of art and music is in the blood of U2 since they were boys.  Maybe instead of prodding Trump and his views he will prod him more about injustice (a theme the bands entire discography addresses) and what he is or isn't doing in the name of humanitarian aid and human rights.   Bono could call him out with the gold phone he used on that tour, since Donald likes gold so much ;)  , I'm sure he'll answer.  

#9 peterferris8

peterferris8

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,679 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:56 PM

The thing is that Trump is basically a Twitter troll. And you know the thing about trolls...don't feed them, it only makes them more powerful!

U2 gigs: The O2 Arena, London, 25/10/15 & 03/11/15 Night 1 - The Miracle

#10 paulimoto

paulimoto

Numb ✪

• 8 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

I hope they do nothing of the sort and just play music - which is what they are best at.

I was at the Amsterdam gig on the last tour and there appeared to me to be a stand off between Larry, Edge & Adam - and Bono when he wouldn't stop talking about the refugee crisis.  He wanted them to go to his end of the stage and carry on the messaging and they refused.  I have been at many U2 gigs overs the last 40 years and never sensed such a divisive buzz on stage.  It was brief, but it was there.

We all understand the social values they are committed to and dont need it "drummed" into us.

CUT THE MESSAGING AND JUST PLAY THE MUSIC.

#11 adrnik

adrnik

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 141 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:41 PM

All U2's shows have a political edge to them. 

I rather like it and appreciate how they do this.

There's the quote from Adam on the RAH film which I completely agree with..

"There are some people who say you shouldn't mix politics and music, sports and politics. Well... I think that's kinda bull****!"

#12 paulimoto

paulimoto

Numb ✪

• 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:28 AM

I agree with Adam's point of view and acknowledge there has always been a social / political "edge" to U2 gigs, but there is a balance.  In the early days the political statement was made via the music - Bono did very little preaching, but we got the message.  IMO the Vertigo tour was the last one with the right balance of music and Bono making political statements.  I just hope the band get back to that.  There are 4 people in the band.