Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

has any band member responded to Paul claiming he had a contract with island records in 1989 and U2

Paul Rose

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 yancy

yancy

Numb ✪

• 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:32 AM

Paul Rose did have a 1989 song for island records that u2s song the fly does sound simular too,has any u2 members responded to Pauls claim.

Attached Images

• 311336_297822903655321_340075003_n.jpg

#2 Grande 3:16

Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 401 posts
  • LocationWhere The Streets Have No Name (Perth, Western Australia)

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:46 AM

When a song gets infringed upon, it's usually not a case of "Hey this song is awesome, let's rip it off!" but a musician getting a song out of his head not realising it's just a song they heard somewhere before.

The only similarity I can spot between The Fly and this demo is the first 4 notes in the demo are similar to the first 4 notes in The Fly's solo. It is possible that Edge may have heard the song and without realising it incorporated it into The Fly. However I reckon 4 notes is a huge stretch.

(Fingers crossed Van Halen never hear Bullet The Blue Sky and The Strokes never hear Vertigo)

Edited by Grande 3:16, 12 March 2017 - 01:40 AM.

"There's obviously been a clear case of instrument envy and Sting and myself have four thick, long strings and he's got six girly ones." - Adam Clayton

#3 pain_18_

pain_18_

Discotheque ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 34,466 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:20 AM

When a song gets infringed upon, it's usually not a case of "Hey this song is awesome, let's rip it off!" but a musician getting a song out of his head not realising it's just a song they heard somewhere before.

The only similarity I can spot between The Fly and this demo is the first 4 notes in the demo are similar to the first 4 notes in The Fly's solo. It is possible that Edge may have heard the song and without realising it incorporated it into The Fly. However I reckon 4 notes is a huge stretch.

(Fingers crossed Van Halen never hear Bullet The Blue Sky and The Strokes never hear Vertigo)

It's Ted Nudgent for  Bullet the Blue Sky, Grande.

There were also claims that The Fly is a rip-off of Megablast - Bomb the Bass from 1988.

Edited by pain_18_, 12 March 2017 - 11:21 AM.

#4 Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 401 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:15 PM

Hadn't heard that Megablast tune but just checked it out. I wanna learn it now. :D

"There's obviously been a clear case of instrument envy and Sting and myself have four thick, long strings and he's got six girly ones." - Adam Clayton

#5 Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 401 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:25 PM

It's funny how some songs get accused of ripping off songs while others get a free pass. It seems Tom Petty will sue anyone who happens to use the same 4 chords he used in a song 30 years ago (you know, because he totally invented and owns chords) while other songs sound so much like another song you can almost interchange the lyrics.

How does this song get away with sounding like this one? Or this one sounding like this one?

But four notes and I'm suing!

#6 Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 401 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:30 PM

#7 pain_18_

pain_18_

Discotheque ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 34,466 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:38 PM

It was said that Staring at the Sun was a rip off of The Kinks - Sunny Afternoon... LOL !

#8 peterferris8

peterferris8

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,678 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:47 PM

I imagine most of us have seen this, but I'm still just gonna leave it here. 

Edited by peterferris8, 15 March 2017 - 02:47 PM.

U2 gigs: The O2 Arena, London, 25/10/15 & 03/11/15 Night 1 - The Miracle

#9 joshthetree

joshthetree

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,254 posts
  • LocationFrackpool

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:04 PM

Paul Rose did have a 1989 song for island records that u2s song the fly does sound simular too,has any u2 members responded to Pauls claim.

Dont think they will respond other than through their lawyers
fact is fiction and TV reality

#10 joshthetree

joshthetree

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,254 posts
  • LocationFrackpool

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:15 PM

I imagine most of us have seen this, but I'm still just gonna leave it here. 
https://www.youtube....h?v=5pidokakU4I

Haha thats great id pay to watch that
fact is fiction and TV reality