My Inevitable *POP* Thread !

*POP* 20thAnniversary LOVE MOFO InsertTAGhere

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#41 Grande 3:16

Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 401 posts
  • LocationWhere The Streets Have No Name (Perth, Western Australia)

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:57 PM

An interesting read: http://www.stereogum...he-anniversary/

It gets critical of the band towards the end, but I tend to agree a bit. :(

"There's obviously been a clear case of instrument envy and Sting and myself have four thick, long strings and he's got six girly ones." - Adam Clayton

#42 pain_18_

pain_18_

Discotheque ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 34,466 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

I'm reading it......interesting........Can't say I like it ......! 

Edited by pain_18_, 06 March 2017 - 02:28 PM.

#43 Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 401 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:30 PM

I just yesterday posted about my insane love of this album and the whole experience leading up to it, as well as the aftermath. If you want to check it out it's here: http://www.enderbowe...ty-years-later/

I'm really disappointed they didn't celebrate it this year in any kind of way. I really thought they would.

In 1996 I think I knew exactly three people with internet, and one of them wasn't me. :P

Good read.

"There's obviously been a clear case of instrument envy and Sting and myself have four thick, long strings and he's got six girly ones." - Adam Clayton

#44 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 34,466 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:46 PM

The only thing I like about the StereoGum review is the criticism to present *U2* in the last paragraph and the fact that he types Pop in italics ...  I'm surprised he didn't take on the most embarrassing fact of all:  re-touring TJT at 30.....

PS :  How can he say " ditching the riffs" when some of U2's biggest riffs in their career are on *POP*.... !!!! I'm taking this opportunity to reiterate that on *POP* the blend between electronica and rock is perfect...It's so good that you can't tell what they did to create those sounds......It's what Edge said : " using rock-tools to make dance music " and they indeed succeeded....They went far enough with it....further in either direction and it wouldn't have turned out this perfect.............I really love the demo-snippets on the Hong-Kong mixes, some people are saying that those versions (of what can be heard) of the songs are " more stripped down " and stuff.....They are indeed a bit rockier but still great  .. ..Experimental......Different.....from the album....That doesn't mean the final album is over-produced.....If U wanna hear over-produced...Listen to ATYCLB and SOI........

Edited by pain_18_, 08 March 2017 - 05:47 PM.

#45 Ender

Ender

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 54 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:26 PM

I just yesterday posted about my insane love of this album and the whole experience leading up to it, as well as the aftermath. If you want to check it out it's here: http://www.enderbowe...ty-years-later/

I'm really disappointed they didn't celebrate it this year in any kind of way. I really thought they would.

In 1996 I think I knew exactly three people with internet, and one of them wasn't me. :P

Good read.

Hey thanks! Yeah... it's bizarre to think how the internet world was back then and how difficult it was to do anything. I never would have imagined we'd be where we are now with internet connectivity. Anyone remember that atrocious popmart.msn.com website that was really cool IF you could load it?

Nashville indietronica artist. Husband. Father. Dreamer. SUCCESS is not a bad word - it's the BEST word. The only thing to fear is not pursuing your dreams.

#46 Ender

Ender

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 54 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:27 PM

AMAZING story and very well penned out !!!!! B) ^_^ :D

Another reason why *POP* speaks to me so much is that the album represents what my life was around that time 1995-1999 ( Was in school , I attended 1st to 4th grade...forgot how that's called in the US.....it was one of the most monstrous periods in my life....I haven't decided if High-School was worse...definitely on par, tho)....Agony and Ecstasy ....Like all of U2's music in the 90's....there's so much sentiment and a lot of great work forged into it....If you can call " doing what you love " - *work*.....

Hey thank you very much! I'm glad you liked it!

Nashville indietronica artist. Husband. Father. Dreamer. SUCCESS is not a bad word - it's the BEST word. The only thing to fear is not pursuing your dreams.

#47 Ender

Ender

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 54 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

I actually agree as well, even with the criticism of the band. I, too, in many ways believe that U2 has been reacting to POP in EVERYTHING they've done since. All the way from ATYCLB to how they presented the 90s Best of, the lack of very much 90s (but a lot of 80s and even 2000s) on 18 Singles, and on and on. It's like they're purposely avoiding being adventurous musically.

#48 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 34,466 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

I actually agree as well, even with the criticism of the band. I, too, in many ways believe that U2 has been reacting to POP in EVERYTHING they've done since. All the way from ATYCLB to how they presented the 90s Best of, the lack of very much 90s (but a lot of 80s and even 2000s) on 18 Singles, and on and on. It's like they're purposely avoiding being adventurous musically.

That's exactly what I DON'T want them to do....

#49 adrnik

adrnik

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 141 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:15 PM

LNOE feels like a rehash of Even Better Than The Real Thing.

I was going to say the same thing in my initial thoughts. (Fixed that for you btw ;) )

Elevation is a lightweight EBTTRT rehash in imo.

Last Night on Earth.....One of the best tracks ever......I'm not hearing anything remotely close to Even Better than The Real thing (, nor on Elevation .......), not musically, not lyrically, btw, the lyrics on LNOE are brilliant and the heavy music is embracing them perfectly.....And the fact U2 make mistakes on POP is something that brings them closer to us.....Proving they're not just a commercial super-power, meant to just cash out on fans....They're HUMAN....... At least at that moment they were.

*POP* is an album where U2 really pushed themselves to prove they can do something different, something that doesn't necessarily fit into a certain genre or category .....   A piece of work that's truly creative and they pulled it off ...I've started thinking long ago... it's great not everyone can see this..........It will be the secret of just few of us.....And if it's just me,  fine then !

Loved it when Bono said , I'm paraphrasing... " We  were also very annoyed at the title *Rock* " and that " [...] it's hard to conjure happiness, we tried for the first two tracks but then realized life isn't about that......We wanted something heavy and ironic....Hence the title *POP*...... We needed to get the wrapping paper right bc what's underneath isn't all that nice (meaning they're taking on painful life-stuff)  and happiness and joy won't do.....".

I love Achtung Baby and Zooropa. This is where for me the band pushed themselves and it worked.

I'd agree that the band pushed themselves on Pop but where we differ is that I remain unconvinced that it actually worked.

There's a sense of awkwardness about Pop in my mind.

As for LNOE I simply can't stand the song but each to their own right!

#50 mich40

mich40

Rattle and Hum ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 12,563 posts
  • LocationOff in LaLa Land

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:07 PM

Rolling Stone podcast about Pop.

http://www.rollingst...urns-20-w470809

Posted Image

#51 badlands65

badlands65

Babyface ✪✪

• 27 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:37 AM

Someone once described Pop as U2 straining to make the kind of album Garbage makes effortlessly. I think that's a good description.

#52 adrnik

adrnik

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 141 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:43 PM

Someone once described Pop as U2 straining to make the kind of album Garbage makes effortlessly. I think that's a good description.

Perfect.

#53 patjoller

patjoller

Babyface ✪✪

• 49 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

ha, another anniversary boxset for JT and still nothing, zero, nada for Pop. Stop acting crazy and milking the same album and start embrace your whole discography.

Expect another anniversary box for achtung baby in 4 years

#54 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 34,466 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:55 AM

ha, another anniversary boxset for JT and still nothing, zero, nada for Pop. Stop acting crazy and milking the same album and start embrace your whole discography.

Thanks for this Magnificent Post !!!!! B)

#55 badlands65

badlands65

Babyface ✪✪

• 27 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

Pop

Opening act was Rage Against the Machine

Edited by badlands65, 09 March 2017 - 10:57 PM.

#56 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 34,466 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:59 AM

Opening act was Rage Against the Machine

WOW !!!!!!!!  Boom-Cha !

#57 Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 401 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:39 AM

I forget who the opening act was, some local band. They kept making lame jokes like "Do you like our stage? We're going to let U2 use it next" and then foolishly said "Ok this is our last song!" which only generated cheers.

#58 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 34,466 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:40 AM

I forget who the opening act was, some local band. They kept making lame jokes like "Do you like our stage? We're going to let U2 use it next" and then foolishly said "Ok this is our last song!" which only generated cheers.

Priceless !!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#59 mich40

mich40

Rattle and Hum ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 12,563 posts
  • LocationOff in LaLa Land

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:09 PM

We had Third Eye Blind in New Orleans, which were good. And Smashmouth in Atlanta. That's the only time I haven't watched an opening band for U2. Hor.ri.ble.

Posted Image

#60 Ender

Ender

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 54 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:57 PM

I'm particularly annoyed by this. U2 hasn't been interesting now for half their career. ANOTHER JT reissue? What are they going to release at 40 years? The "Over The One Tree Hill 40th Edition"?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: *POP*, 20thAnniversary, LOVE, MOFO, InsertTAGhere