• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#101 Ender

Ender

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 54 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:25 PM

Another one of my favorite POP things...

I wish Bono still had the balls to do what he did starting at about 5:08 here. People flip when they hear this in my car and I tell them it's Bono. (It's not Howie B like some people think... it's Bono doing a bizarre voice... you can tell when he gets to "big black hole" and he's getting all Bono-y).

Edited by Ender, 17 March 2017 - 03:44 PM.

Nashville indietronica artist. Husband. Father. Dreamer. SUCCESS is not a bad word - it's the BEST word. The only thing to fear is not pursuing your dreams.

#102 Grande 3:16

Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 401 posts
  • LocationWhere The Streets Have No Name (Perth, Western Australia)

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:52 PM

And just for trivial nonsense sake... so a lot of editors and reviewers consider Big Girls Are Best to be an ATYCLB outtake because it was a b side during that era.... but wasn't it a POP outtake, technically? They certainly wouldn't have done that during the ATYCLB era.

I thought the song was about Ali being pregnant, which she wasn't in the POP era but was in the lead up to ATYCLB. Sounds more POP though, and certainly better than anything on ATYCLB.

"There's obviously been a clear case of instrument envy and Sting and myself have four thick, long strings and he's got six girly ones." - Adam Clayton

#103 Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 401 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:57 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=terouAO6Fao

I wish Bono still had the balls to do what he did starting at about 5:08 here. People flip when they hear this in my car and I tell them it's Bono. (It's not Howie B like some people think... it's Bono doing a bizarre voice... you can tell when he gets to "big black hole" and he's getting all Bono-y).

I only recently discovered this. I read posts saying he sounds like Wolfman Jack. Lol.

I had heard the rap bit 20 years ago from the Las Vegas show but had no idea it was a snippet from another version of Discotheque. I thought it was a snippet of some other song thrown in like he does.

I'm wondering if the live Las Vegas version is what the Hong Kong demo was like, the released version with the Hairy B rap at the end.

Edited by Grande 3:16, 17 March 2017 - 11:58 PM.

"There's obviously been a clear case of instrument envy and Sting and myself have four thick, long strings and he's got six girly ones." - Adam Clayton

#104 Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 401 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:21 AM

My POP stuff, not as extravagant as some.

u2-pop-stuff_zpsjarfdy0m.jpg

Didn't buy the album straight away, as I said in my reflection post earlier I just listened to my sister's one (in a video she said she was leaving it to me if she died in a bungee jump) but I bought it later.

Discotheque I think I got on day of release.

The Discotheque remix single and both Staring At The Sun singles I bought off ebay a few weeks ago.

I was going interstate to see Vertigo, but even though it got postponed I still traveled and bought Last Night On Earth from a second-hand CD store in Brisbane.

Got the Please single from the markets about 15 years ago for like $1

Bought Mofo in 1998, took a few ums & ahhs 'cause I wasn't totally mad for the Phunk Phorce mix like I was the album version

PopMart DVD, think I still have the VHS somewhere but can't find it

Signed up with Propaganda simply to get Hasta La Vista Baby

POP guitar tab book. Bought it from a music shop in the city in 2006 when I was starting to get into guitar.

Popmart-Framed_zpsma3eua2m.jpg

Newspaper poster from August 1997 for PopMart coming to town with my ticket stub. Only recently framed it even though I've wanted to for nearly 20 years. It's in the corner of the room where all my guitar gear is, so sort of to inspire me a bit I guess.

Edited by Grande 3:16, 18 March 2017 - 12:28 AM.

#105 pain_18_

pain_18_

Discotheque ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 34,466 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:44 AM

Ender !!!!

#106 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 34,466 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:47 AM

I only recently discovered this. I read posts saying he sounds like Wolfman Jack. Lol.

I had heard the rap bit 20 years ago from the Las Vegas show but had no idea it was a snippet from another version of Discotheque. I thought it was a snippet of some other song thrown in like he does.

I'm wondering if the live Las Vegas version is what the Hong Kong demo was like, the released version with the Hairy B rap at the end.

I always though he sounds like Mick Jagger on that section.....Definitely LOVE it and Check it out earlier in the thread, the live Las Vegas thing.... !!!!

#107 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 34,466 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:50 AM

Grande, that's a *GRANDE* collection  !!!!!!

#108 mich40

mich40

Rattle and Hum ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 12,563 posts
  • LocationOff in LaLa Land

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:14 PM

Ender !!!!
https://www.youtube....h?v=8XDBkuZWPpw

It's always good to see them as humans that sometimes can't get it together rather than perfect music gods, but that is the perfect example of why we should be patient and let them work on their own timeframe, which is usually a lot different than everyone else's. Details are a bit fuzzy because it's been 20 years, but I remember the album being released, then boom! tour announced, then boom! tour starting less than 2 months later. It all happened so quickly that I didn't even make it to the first date closest to me (Memphis). I honestly thought I was going to miss that tour. Forunately, they came back and added New Orleans and Atlanta for the 2nd North American leg. By that time, they had gotten their groove for the tour. New Orleans was fabulous. Atlanta was heartbreaking on many levels. Americans didn't "get" Pop and the stadium was only half full. On top of that it was the day of Michael Hutchence's funeral. (we found out he had died after the New Orleans show). We all know that they feed off the crowd and having the stadium half full didn't help, but Bono was visibly distraught about Michael. He dedicated One to him and cried. Probably half the people there were crying. I know I was. But that was the most somber show I've been to.

Posted Image

#109 badlands65

badlands65

Babyface ✪✪

• 27 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:28 PM

Americans didn't "get" Pop and the stadium was only half full. 

If Americans were less than enamoured with POP, maybe it was because the album was lacking. While we are thick headed Imperialist Dogs, I think most American U2 fans can hear it and recognize the nuances and appreciate the attempt to create something no one else was doing. Even a monkey boy like myself can at least respond to a great album on a visceral level. This was not a great album and that is why it received at lukewarm reception all over the world, not just in Atlanta. Maybe the people that panned it "got it" better than anyone else. As for ticket sales, I don't know. U2 is the most amazing live band and the merits of whatever release they're touring behind never affects my desire to see them.

#110 Ender

Ender

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 54 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

Ender !!!!

Yay!!!!! And they still don't get it quite right the second time through. Notice how on the first pass Larry is actually keeping the time Bono is doing on his hi hat? So I wonder where the full cluster occurred.

Nashville indietronica artist. Husband. Father. Dreamer. SUCCESS is not a bad word - it's the BEST word. The only thing to fear is not pursuing your dreams.

#111 Ender

Ender

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 54 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:43 PM

And just for trivial nonsense sake... so a lot of editors and reviewers consider Big Girls Are Best to be an ATYCLB outtake because it was a b side during that era.... but wasn't it a POP outtake, technically? They certainly wouldn't have done that during the ATYCLB era.

I thought the song was about Ali being pregnant, which she wasn't in the POP era but was in the lead up to ATYCLB. Sounds more POP though, and certainly better than anything on ATYCLB.

I had heard it was about the super models they were hanging out with - the "big girls". But knowing Bono he probably crossed the two ideas together.

#112 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 34,466 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:45 PM

Ender !!!!

Yay!!!!! And they still don't get it quite right the second time through. Notice how on the first pass Larry is actually keeping the time Bono is doing on his hi hat? So I wonder where the full cluster occurred.

This is my favourite version of this song from the POP-Mart tour....Nothing beats Edge's electrical effects.....

#113 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 34,466 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:00 PM

#114 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 34,466 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

#115 Frankaz

Frankaz

Lemon ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 5,304 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:02 AM

My POP stuff, not as extravagant as some.

u2-pop-stuff_zpsjarfdy0m.jpg

Didn't buy the album straight away, as I said in my reflection post earlier I just listened to my sister's one (in a video she said she was leaving it to me if she died in a bungee jump) but I bought it later.

Discotheque I think I got on day of release.

The Discotheque remix single and both Staring At The Sun singles I bought off ebay a few weeks ago.

I was going interstate to see Vertigo, but even though it got postponed I still traveled and bought Last Night On Earth from a second-hand CD store in Brisbane.

Got the Please single from the markets about 15 years ago for like $1

Bought Mofo in 1998, took a few ums & ahhs 'cause I wasn't totally mad for the Phunk Phorce mix like I was the album version

PopMart DVD, think I still have the VHS somewhere but can't find it

Signed up with Propaganda simply to get Hasta La Vista Baby

POP guitar tab book. Bought it from a music shop in the city in 2006 when I was starting to get into guitar.

Popmart-Framed_zpsma3eua2m.jpg

Newspaper poster from August 1997 for PopMart coming to town with my ticket stub. Only recently framed it even though I've wanted to for nearly 20 years. It's in the corner of the room where all my guitar gear is, so sort of to inspire me a bit I guess.

I forgot to photo Popmart & Hasta haha. Got them too :P

popsig.png

#116 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 34,466 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:12 AM

#117 Frankaz

Frankaz

Lemon ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 5,304 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

Popmart & Hasta La Vista:

20170320_154108.jpg
20170320_154140.jpg

20170320_154115.jpg
20170320_154122.jpg

popsig.png

#118 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 34,466 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

Popmart & Hasta La Vista:

20170320_154108.jpg
20170320_154140.jpg

20170320_154115.jpg
20170320_154122.jpg

WOW !!!!!!!  Those are very cool, Frank !!! 

I have the *POP*Mart* deluxe-dvd-concert too but I'm too lazy ( I'm  watching Cartoon Network while eating something) ....to take a photo of it, love the Lemon-Stamp...........

#119 Ender

Ender

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 54 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:36 PM

Adam is such a pro. This version is almost straight up style from the album. I really dig the live version they eventually evolved this into. But I wouldn't want THAT to be the studio version, either.

#120 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 34,466 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

Adam is such a pro. This version is almost straight up style from the album. I really dig the live version they eventually evolved this into. But I wouldn't want THAT to be the studio version, either.

My very personal point of view is that they got the *POP* songs right on the first 10 or 15 (maximum) shows of the tour, especially  *MOFO* (first 5 shows or so).....then they messed it up........ ///  And YES....Adam makes everything great  !!!

Edited by pain_18_, 22 March 2017 - 11:00 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: *POP*, 20thAnniversary, LOVE, MOFO, InsertTAGhere