Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

THE JOSHUA TREE at 30. Share your JT memories / collection / adventures / dreams

The Joshua Tree #TheJoshuaTree30 #U2JT30 u2com #JoshuaTree #JoshuaTreeTour2017 #U2JoshuaTree #U2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Max Tsukino

Max Tsukino

Rattle and Hum ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 14,845 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:49 PM

JT30_Header_zpsywzkjiii.jpg

Big, big day here... The Joshua Tree is 30 years old. One of the most important albums in U2 history, and most certainly an important part of the soundtrack of our lives.

For many it was the album that made them fans of the band, or they were already fans but it helped them to convince those around that this was THE band.

What does it mean for you? How are you planning to celebrate this anniversary?

Share with the community your collection, adventures... your dreams surrounding The Joshua Tree. We want to know all about your own musical journey...

JT30_Sig_zpsnfxq5kfz.jpg

#2 mich40

mich40

• 12,619 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:45 PM

@moniy999 #TBT #u2jt30 #u2thejoshuatree2017 #U2 celebrating 30 years of the
#joshuatree! And all because of a band named U2 I was able to make the pilgrimage with these Beautiful Ladies! Best memories and best times! Cheers to many more memories and bring on May and July!

17156217_10210316810855218_6665635696562

Posted Image

#3 mich40

mich40

• 12,619 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:50 PM

Posted Image

#4 yardie

yardie

Night and Day ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 1,896 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:42 PM

The dream will be seeing them perform in Croke Park again, 30 years after I first saw them perform in a very different Croke Park. I've changed, they've changed and Croke Park has changed.

They're alive still, I'm alive still.

I'm digitised now, wasn't in 87, so hopefully I might chose to share this summer. :)

#5 pain_18_

pain_18_

Discotheque ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 35,086 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:44 AM

Later-Edit - My Original 1987 The Joshua Tree Cassette , bought in 2004 :

My Original - 1987 - The Joshua Tree Cassette - Front
My Original - 1987 - The Joshua Tree Cassette - Inlay
My Original - 1987 - The Joshua Tree Cassette !

I don't know if it's appropriate to post here...but .....I've started this adventure , my first The Joshua Tree drawing......EVER !!!

----------------

_The Secret Rhythm Of _ The Joshua Tree - Quick Sketch_
                                                                     ----------------

My story with The Joshua Tree is like this
 I was just becoming a U2-fan in late 2003 ... And my aunt borrowed me a U2-cassette of hers and since I told her I loved U2 so much ever after....She said to me on the phone that she'll give me The Joshua Three to listen...Yes, you read it right....I didn't know what it was about so I heard it wrong...and I thought it was about somekind of trinity, until I saw the actual cassette and thought " Oooooooh "...It wasn't the regular album front-cover ( that I'd come to know later on)....It had green and white border-lines, instead of gold and black and the U2 - photo was the other, more rare one, which gives off the impression Bono's stepping onto the scene from another world !

After listening to it for the first time , in the car, the trip might have contributed to it, but that definitely doesn't take away from the sheer value of the album......

The two tracks that mostly appealed to me back then, still do...( as I already knew 'With or Without You' and 'Still Haven't Found' from the first cassette that I mentioned above so those two songs were very well embedded in me) were " Bullet the Blue Sky " and " Exit " .... with their other-worldly, transcending groaning heaviness....And those crickets....funny thing is, it was summer and I had the car-window down and there were crickets doing their thing outside so at first I thought the cassette was broken.....then U2's crickets and the rush of the song Exit joined in with the crickets in the field and it was magical !

Because I had problems with the cassette player volume plus not being allowed to turn it up .........I couldn't immerse first-off into the other songs.....

" Where The Streets Have No Name " is always a good song to find inspiration to do certain stuff...from art to whatever you can think of.....Like : just listening to it !
The Edge's infinite guitar, Eno's Synth//organ.... Were the things that had the most jawdropping effect on me.....then the rhythm section and vocals hit me  !!!!

" I still Haven't Found " -  Several years later, in 2007...In early June , I was driving on another night and it came on by surprise on the radio and it sounded better than I could ever remember...I don't know how it happened....The song unfolded from the night streaming onto the car..... Interesting how in December 2007 I was already listening to the BOX SET .........

I am always surprised by the change in rhythm and abrupt shift of emotions on " Running to Stand Still " and the title itself is so compelling...let alone the lyrics........

*Red Hill Mining Town* - loved it very much 13 years ago...my love for it has diminished with time...still good, though.

*In God's Country*....I always thought Edge's guitar on this melody sounds like a warm summer rain on an arid plain.....That's a great thing in my book...I'm beggingin to excessively use " great " !!! Haha....That's what U2 does to you.

* One Tree Hill * - Always Loved this one so much...From the first listen.....I thought the cassette was broken because The Edge and then all the band break into some distorted abrasive experiment toward the end and then the pause between the full-body-of-song and the last verse " Run to the Ocean.....Run to the Sea...", the first cassette, from my aunt, had a very long dramatic pause between the two sections.

* trip Through Your Wires * - Bullies made fun of me because , in their mind  that song is " for old people and your parents" , at first I fell for it t and never listened to it....
After many years... I became so enraged with what those bullies growled, that this song became my favourite song on the album for a long time...FOR REAL....especially after getting the 2007 BOX SET so I could really feed on it with great greed !!!!!

* Mothers of the disappeared * - always a BIG song.....Mysterious and up front alltogether, extremely well laid out....I love it that on the 2007 remaster , I could hear extra-notes at the end of the song...that, to me, are essential........

I saved * With or Without You * as the last one because I can't talk about it.....I mean. It's " With or Without You "...... I won't comment about what feelings come over me listening to it...Just that on the first cassette ever....Edge's solo at the end was louder , longer and stronger, richer......I don't even know how that's possible but .... I guess it's part of this surreal life  !!!

The Joshua Tree was a pivotal point in my U2-Discography madness, also....Because this was the point where I was first banned for buying more U2 stuff ( before the POP thing).... So I went crazy, got out and bought my own TJT cassette, and gave the one I was over-using back to my aunt...... Will post pics with the cassette later....Now I'm at work and slacking off big time to write this........

So that's it........I don't know.......I loved the 2007 remaster very much, helped me really get into the album...because up to that reissue.....I had already worn out my cassette and the first original TJT cd I had, I chose to give it to my best friend ( at that time) and he loved it so much, it's his fav album ever since...... We don't talk anymore.

I think the song that best defines The Album and my fav song on the album for at least 5 years now is " EXIT ", I just love it how it draws its power from nature....the crickets are essential for setting the Other-Worldly, Desert feeling....Just throwing you into another dimension ....When the band unfolds their BIG thunderous rage it's like an Electrical Storm over a deserted plain which hasn't seen rain for centuries........ I am going to stray as far as to say this is the first time we hear hints of Achtung Baby , before God Part II on " Rattle and Hum " ......

Oh and...Of course.....This album wouldn't be the same without Anton Corbijn incredible photos...... When you look at them it seems like they stretch and get wider  every time....Just like Edge's infinite guitar on the album......and you can hear the crickets too !

took this off the internet :

Attached Images

• u2_-_the_joshua_tree-front.jpg

Edited by pain_18_, 20 March 2017 - 03:29 PM.

#6 504jumper

504jumper

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 65 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:24 PM

Here's a part of my TJT collection.

FYI, for those that are interested, I've written a few posts on The Joshua Tree.  I'd love to know what you think! :)

Thank you,

Rich.

AchtungNinja.com

Attached Images

• IMG_2815.JPG

AchtungNinja.com

#7 504jumper

504jumper

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 65 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:59 PM

I don't know if it's appropriate to post here...but .....I've started this adventure , my first The Joshua Tree drawing......EVER !!!

----------------

----------------

My story with The Joshua Tree is like this
 I was just becoming a U2-fan in late 2003 ... And my aunt borrowed me a U2-cassette of hers and since I told her I loved U2 so much ever after....She said to me on the phone that she'll give me The Joshua Three to listen...Yes, you read it right....I didn't know what it was about so I heard it wrong...and I thought it was about somekind of trinity, until I saw the actual cassette and thought " Oooooooh "...It wasn't the regular album front-cover ( that I'd come to know later on)....It had green and white border-lines, instead of gold and black and the U2 - photo was the other, more rare one, which gives off the impression Bono's stepping onto the scene from another world !

After listening to it for the first time , in the car, the trip might have contributed to it, but that definitely doesn't take away from the sheer value of the album......

The two tracks that mostly appealed to me back then, still do...( as I already knew 'With or Without You' and 'Still Haven't Found' from the first cassette that I mentioned above so those two songs were very well embedded in me) were " Bullet the Blue Sky " and " Exit " .... with their other-worldly, transcending groaning heaviness....And those crickets....funny thing is, it was summer and I had the car-window down and there were crickets doing their thing outside so at first I thought the cassette was broken.....then U2's crickets and the rush of the song Exit joined in with the crickets in the field and it was magical !

Because I had problems with the cassette player volume plus not being allowed to turn it up .........I couldn't immerse first-off into the other songs.....

" Where The Streets Have No Name " is always a good song to find inspiration to do certain stuff...from art to whatever you can think of.....Like : just listening to it !
The Edge's infinite guitar, Eno's Synth//organ.... Were the things that had the most jawdropping effect on me.....then the rhythm section and vocals hit me  !!!!

" I still Haven't Found " -  Several years later, in 2007...In early June , I was driving on another night and it came on by surprise on the radio and it sounded better than I could ever remember...I don't know how it happened....The song unfolded from the night streaming onto the car..... Interesting how in December 2007 I was already listening to the BOX SET .........

I am always surprised by the change in rhythm and abrupt shift of emotions on " Running to Stand Still " and the title itself is so compelling...let alone the lyrics........

*Red Hill Mining Town* - loved it very much 13 years ago...my love for it has diminished with time...still good, though.

*In God's Country*....I always thought Edge's guitar on this melody sounds like a warm summer rain on an arid plain.....That's a great thing in my book...I'm beggingin to excessively use " great " !!! Haha....That's what U2 does to you.

* One Tree Hill * - Always Loved this one so much...From the first listen.....I thought the cassette was broken because The Edge and then all the band break into some distorted abrasive experiment toward the end and then the pause between the full-body-of-song and the last verse " Run to the Ocean.....Run to the Sea...", the first cassette, from my aunt, had a very long dramatic pause between the two sections.

* trip Through Your Wires * - Bullies made fun of me because , in their mind  that song is " for old people and your parents" , at first I fell for it t and never listened to it....
After many years... I became so enraged with what those bullies that this song became my favourite song on the album for a long time...FOR REAL....especially after getting the 2007 BOX SET so I could really feed on it with great greed !!!!!

* Mothers of the disappeared * - always a BIG song.....Mysterious and up front alltogether, extremely well laid out....I love it that on the 2007 remaster , I could hear extra-notes at the end of the song...that, to me, are essential........

I saved * With or Without You * as the last one because I can't talk about it.....I mean. It's " With or Without You "...... I won't comment about what feelings come over me listening to it...Just that on the first cassette ever....Edge's solo at the end was louder , longer and stronger, richer......I don't even know how that's possible but .... I guess it's part of this surreal life  !!!

The Joshua Tree was a pivotal point in my U2-Discography madness, also....Because this was the point where I was first banned for buying more U2 stuff ( before the POP thing).... So I went crazy, got out and bought my own TJT cassette, and gave the one I was over-using back to my aunt...... Will post pics with the cassette later....Now I'm at work and slacking off big time to write this........

So that's it........I don't know.......I loved the 2007 remaster very much, helped me really get into the album...because up to that reissue.....I had already worn out my cassette and the first original TJT cd I had, I chose to give it to my best friend ( at that time) and he loved it so much, it's his fav album ever since...... We don't talk anymore.

I think the song that best defines The Album and my fav song on the album for at least 5 years now is " EXIT ", I just love it how it draws its power from nature....the crickets are essential for setting the Other-Worldly, Desert feeling....Just throwing you into another dimension ....When the band unfolds their BIG thunderous rage it's like an Electrical Storm over a deserted plain which hasn't seen rain for centuries........ I am going to stray as far as to say this is the first time we hear hints of Achtung Baby , before God Part II on " Rattle and Hum " ......

Oh and...Of course.....This album wouldn't be the same without Anton Corbijn incredible photos...... When you look at them it seems like they stretch and get wider  every time....Just like Edge's infinite guitar on the album......and you can hear the crickets too !

took this off the internet :

Great story, Pain 18.  This was definitely a seminal album for the band and an unequivocal classic.  Thanks for sharing!

Rich

AchtungNinja.com

AchtungNinja.com

#8 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 35,086 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:33 AM

Thank You, 504Jumper !!!

#9 angelofharlem4u2

angelofharlem4u2

Ultraviolet ✪✪✪✪✪

• 290 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:18 PM

Where do I begin?  I became a fan when I heard some songs on the radio, then completely engrossed when I saw their videos on television.  In January 1987, a disc jockey named Dan Neer hosted a show on WNEW called "Midnight Perfect Album Side."  Dan selected my request for "Unforgettable Fire," and read a fan letter that I had written for U2.  For St. Patrick's Day 1987, Dan Neer played the A side of "The Joshua Tree" to not only celebrate St. Patrick's Day, but to also celebrate the release of "The Joshua Tree," a much anticipated album.  Dan Neer re-read my fan letter to U2 to introduce The Joshua Tree.  This was a special moment for me!  I purchased the cassette and CD, playing the cassette until it popped :).

Before the internet and smart phone apps, I stood on line with my sister for hours, and hours, and hours to buy tickets to see U2.  I  - this would be my first concert as an adult.  I recall encountering some people who had verbalized their desire to not want to stand next to me because I am AA.  This was offensive, but I did not let that deter me.   I snagged tickets for Madison Square Garden and the Meadowlands!!!  I still have my ticket stubs! The song that I wanted to hear the most was Exit.  This song is my favorite from The Joshua Tree.  It is so haunting, beginning so low and almost inaudible, then building up to a pulsating crescendo.  

The night of the show finally came!  This was a dream come true for me!  When my brother and I found our seats, before the show began, this guy in another section had yelled out:  "Why don't you stick to your own music...rap music," meaning that we should not have been at a rock concert.   Of course we did not pay him any attention, but it certainly was not a pleasant experience. An acquaintance of mine told me that had she experienced that, it might have discouraged her from attending the show.  I understand her sentiment, but I would not have thirty years of memories had I let small-minded comments and glares deter me.  When U2 opened with Streets, the crowd erupted, and the screams became louder and louder as each member came to the stage :).  As much as I loved Exit, my fondest memory of seeing U2 live during the Joshua Tree era was when they brought the New Voices of Freedom choir (from Harlem) on stage to sing I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.  This remains the most mesmerizing version that I've ever heard live.  The version in Rattle & Hum runs a close second.  This song IS gospel.  

I would like for U2 to return to Harlem, this time headlining shows at the Apollo, perhaps reuniting with New Voices of Freedom while creating new memories. The Apollo is a legendary theatre, and U2 a legendary band.  For me, U2 is not only good music, but also a spiritually uplifting force.   U2, thank you for the music and the memories!  COME TO THE APOLLO THEATRE!!

Edited by angelofharlem4u2, 19 March 2017 - 05:26 PM.

Lady Day Got Diamond Eyes...

#10 mich40

mich40

• 12,619 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:25 PM

My Joshua Tree collection:

17353294_10211260915053206_9485596427893

Looking forward to adding the vinyl box set and a couple of shows in June.

Posted Image

#11 generationwithoutname

generationwithoutname

Numb ✪

• 15 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:48 PM

I became a fan of U2 back in 1983, listening to my older sisters War album. And the first album that I could afford to buy for myself was the Joshua Tree in 1987. I really wanted to go to one of the gigs in 1987 but my parents said no, they said that I was too young then. So I'm very happy that I can finally attend a Joshua Tree gig in 2017, 30 years later.... 

#12 Grande 3:16

Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 449 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

Before the internet and smart phone apps, I stood on line with my sister for hours, and hours, and hours to buy tickets to see U2.  I  - this would be my first concert as an adult.  I recall encountering some people who had verbalized their desire to not want to stand next to me because I am AA.  This was offensive, but I did not let that deter me.   I snagged tickets for Madison Square Garden and the Meadowlands!!!  I still have my ticket stubs! The song that I wanted to hear the most was Exit.  This song is my favorite from The Joshua Tree.  It is so haunting, beginning so low and almost inaudible, then building up to a pulsating crescendo.  

The night of the show finally came!  This was a dream come true for me!  When my brother and I found our seats, before the show began, this guy in another section had yelled out:  "Why don't you stick to your own music...rap music," meaning that we should not have been at a rock concert.   Of course we did not pay him any attention, but it certainly was not a pleasant experience. An acquaintance of mine told me that had she experienced that, it might have discouraged her from attending the show.  I understand her sentiment, but I would not have thirty years of memories had I let small-minded comments and glares deter me.

That's terrible!  :(  Thumbs up for not letting it get to you.

"There's obviously been a clear case of instrument envy and Sting and myself have four thick, long strings and he's got six girly ones." - Adam Clayton

#13 mich40

mich40

• 12,619 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:43 PM

The night of the show finally came!  This was a dream come true for me!  When my brother and I found our seats, before the show began, this guy in another section had yelled out:  "Why don't you stick to your own music...rap music," meaning that we should not have been at a rock concert.   Of course we did not pay him any attention, but it certainly was not a pleasant experience. An acquaintance of mine told me that had she experienced that, it might have discouraged her from attending the show.  I understand her sentiment, but I would not have thirty years of memories had I let small-minded comments and glares deter me.

That's terrible!  :(  Thumbs up for not letting it get to you.

That is terrible.  I hope those people have corrected their thinking now.

Posted Image

#14 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 35,086 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:49 PM

Bullied for loving U2 ??? Join the club ..... Thing is people are always gonna hate you for something.....

#15 Frankaz

Frankaz

Lemon ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 5,401 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:39 PM

Here's a photo of my Joshua Tree collection:

blank.gif

popsig.png

#16 pain_18_

pain_18_

• 35,086 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

Here's a photo of my Joshua Tree collection:

blank.gif

I LOVE it !!!! :wub:

#17 Frankaz

Frankaz

Lemon ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 5,401 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:49 PM

I LOVE it !!!! :wub:

Me too :D :P :lol: ;)

popsig.png

#18 angelofharlem4u2

angelofharlem4u2

Ultraviolet ✪✪✪✪✪

• 290 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:44 AM

No worries, I've had more positive experiences than negative.  Looking forward to the tour.

U2 - COME TO THE APOLLO THEATRE!!!

Lady Day Got Diamond Eyes...

#19 504jumper

504jumper

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 65 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:50 PM

Hey everyone,

With Joshua Tree Tour 2017 less than months away, I've been listening to this awesome album more closely than I have in years.  I've been trying to re-experience it by playing it loudly on my new speakers in my car.  Trying to recapture the feelings I had when first heard this CD thirty years ago is hard.  I needed to filter out all of the noise and just hear it.  What are great album.

I wrote a blog post on remembering the album that represented the band's love affair with America.  They charged ahead with a bold, new sound and blew us all away.  

If you're so inclined, please take a look.  I'd love to hear about your experiences.  Thanks.  :)

https://achtungninja...e-in-the-sound/

AchtungNinja.com

Attached Images

• TJT vinyl.jpg

AchtungNinja.com

#20 504jumper

504jumper

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 65 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:52 PM

My Joshua Tree collection:

17353294_10211260915053206_9485596427893

Looking forward to adding the vinyl box set and a couple of shows in June.

Awesome!

AchtungNinja.com