Photo
- - - - -

If TJT didn’t come out in the 80s, what decade would it fit in?

#TheJoshuaTree #U2JoshuaTree #JoshuaTreeTour2017 #u2

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 504jumper

504jumper

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 65 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:05 PM

I’ve been listening to TJT closely and have not done that in a very long time.  A discussion with my buddy’s daughter about how it doesn’t sound like an eighties album compelled me to really think about it.  There is something strange and un-eighties about it.  I guess that’s one of the things makes it so awesome.  But it made me wonder: if it didn’t come out in the eighties, what decade would it belong?

I wrote post about it and would love to know what others think.  Thank you!  :)

https://achtungninja...-another-place/

AchtungNinja.com

#2 Grande 3:16

Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 449 posts
  • LocationWhere The Streets Have No Name (Perth, Western Australia)

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:50 PM

To be honest, I don't think any of U2's '80s music sounds very '80s. Other '80s bands were diving into synthesizers and gratuitous sax, which has timestamped the music. U2 very wisely avoided those '80s clichés and as a result their '80s music could have come from any decade of their career.

I first heard U2's cover of Night and Day in the late '90s, I couldn't tell if it was from Unforgettable Fire era or Achtung/Zooropa era.

"There's obviously been a clear case of instrument envy and Sting and myself have four thick, long strings and he's got six girly ones." - Adam Clayton

#3 504jumper

504jumper

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 65 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:27 PM

To be honest, I don't think any of U2's '80s music sounds very '80s. Other '80s bands were diving into synthesizers and gratuitous sax, which has timestamped the music. U2 very wisely avoided those '80s clichés and as a result their '80s music could have come from any decade of their career.

I first heard U2's cover of Night and Day in the late '90s, I couldn't tell if it was from Unforgettable Fire era or Achtung/Zooropa era.

I agree. I definitely think of TUF and TJT as albums of the 80s (and the previous ones) because they were on the radio so much during those times, but they were the antithesis of what was going on at the time.  No synthesizers or drum machines and very little keyboards.

AchtungNinja.com

#4 yardie

yardie

Night and Day ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 1,896 posts
  • LocationCo.Antrim, Northern Ireland

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:59 PM

I think it's a very 80s album - a very good 80's album though insomuchas at the time it stretched things a little bit differently than that which had preceded - dare I say a bit like Sgt Pepper 20 years earlier. In no way alike - but that step on...?

It wouldn't fit in anywhere else.

In fact the staying power of U2 has been epitomised about how they moved on from that 80s statement album, embracing the dance / metal rythms of the later 80's , flipping into the 90s with the release of AB - an arguably better album. They didn't ( in the words of Steve Jobs) 'settle'.

#5 504jumper

504jumper

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 65 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:35 PM

I think it's a very 80s album - a very good 80's album though insomuchas at the time it stretched things a little bit differently than that which had preceded - dare I say a bit like Sgt Pepper 20 years earlier. In no way alike - but that step on...?

It wouldn't fit in anywhere else.

In fact the staying power of U2 has been epitomised about how they moved on from that 80s statement album, embracing the dance / metal rythms of the later 80's , flipping into the 90s with the release of AB - an arguably better album. They didn't ( in the words of Steve Jobs) 'settle'.

It is so 80s for me because I listened to it so much during that time. More than one person much younger than me has told me it doesn't sound like an 80s record. Not to me, but I can see that if I really think about it.  It is an odd-sounding album.

I also agree that these guys always put their best into the album, regardless of how well it sold, how much it was played on the radio or its chart position.  

AchtungNinja.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #TheJoshuaTree, #U2JoshuaTree, #JoshuaTreeTour2017, #u2