What ever happened to POP?

Henz1977

• Subscriber

Although I have had a great time with the 2 dates in Amsterdam, I have to say that I miss the songs from POP. Offcourse U2 can never please all the fanswith their set list, but it almost looks like U2 have forgotten this brilliant album. Even on the "Best of 1990-2000" there were some new interestingremixes but since Elevation not one song has appeared even as a snippet. What's wrong with the POP-songs? Is it because this record not commercialinteresting enough? Although the die-hard fans would disagree. I have red somewhere that U2 planned to re-record the POP album and finishing the tracks. Couldthis be the case?

Discotheque, IGWSHA, DYFL, LNOE, IYWTVD would still fit in the current setlist for a regular appearance. E.g. replace MLK by IGWSHA. Or put Discotheque insteadof SBS.

Any ideas why these songs never surface during a concert?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably to appease the MOR U2 fans who would think they retired after Joshua Tree.

Pop is an amazing album, let down by the title which points to lighter subject-matter. Anyone who listens to Pop knows it is a deep experience, "If GodWould Send His Angels", "Please" & "Wake Up Dead Man" examples of this. "Mofo" has been their best live track andopening to a show ever IMHO.

It is their second masterpiece, behind Achtung Baby of course. That will never be equalled.

nerd.gif

• Subscriber

That's what I think that happens with Pop: for me (I talk about me because I was already a die hard fan when Pop was released) Pop was ahead of times, ittook me quite a lot to understand it, I paid some more attention and sudenly I could understand it, now I love the album. Most occasional fans didn't getit at all, and as they don't revise U2 albums in a regular basis, it remains for them as their first impression was: something they didn't get a cluewhat it was. The band defended their work during Popmart, of course, and to some extent during Elevation tour, after that they stopped, Edge and Bono were thetwo most involved in its defence, I suppose Bono doesn't have the best memories from its recording and the tour itself, those were difficult times for him,Larry was always convinced the album needed some more work, he's who said that he would like to record it again, once they had finished all the songs, (Idon't write anything about Adam because I have never listened to him on this subject), so I conclude that they have given up, something like if they think:ok, we can't be objective, it's our creation and we love it, but all the rest of the world can't be wrong, we have plenty of good songs to playlive.

My opinion is that it is a pity, I think general public would be more open to what Pop has inside that we were in 1997, I've seen it with the Crazy remix,someone above suggested Discotheque to follow it in a live show, what is a good idea, but I'll dream of this segue: Crazy remix and then, directly intoMofo. The house would explode!!!!! or not, I'm not an expert in these things, anyway, I would explode of sheer happiness!

mariacm wrote:

That's what I think that happens with Pop: for me (I talk about me because I was already a die hard fan when Pop was released) Pop was ahead of times, it took me quite a lot to understand it, I paid some more attention and sudenly I could understand it, now I love the album. Most occasional fans didn't get it at all, and as they don't revise U2 albums in a regular basis, it remains for them as their first impression was: something they didn't get a clue what it was. The band defended their work during Popmart, of course, and to some extent during Elevation tour, after that they stopped, Edge and Bono were the two most involved in its defence, I suppose Bono doesn't have the best memories from its recording and the tour itself, those were difficult times for him, Larry was always convinced the album needed some more work, he's who said that he would like to record it again, once they had finished all the songs, (I don't write anything about Adam because I have never listened to him on this subject), so I conclude that they have given up, something like if they think: ok, we can't be objective, it's our creation and we love it, but all the rest of the world can't be wrong, we have plenty of good songs to play live.

My opinion is that it is a pity, I think general public would be more open to what Pop has inside that we were in 1997, I've seen it with the Crazy remix, someone above suggested Discotheque to follow it in a live show, what is a good idea, but I'll dream of this segue: Crazy remix and then, directly into Mofo. The house would explode!!!!! or not, I'm not an expert in these things, anyway, I would explode of sheer happiness!

Well done....good solid thoughts and I agree....

My Popmart show at Giants Stadium was a real rocker and is still one of my all time favs....U2 is a band that takes some time when they hit the road and thattour really suffered early on with some poor shows...Also, the album wasn't done (I think it shows in the liner notes as Last Nights Lyrics don't matchwhat Bono sings)....they were changing things last minute...

In U2 by U2 they go into the details of how there was just too many hands on this project and at the end rushed for the tour....

I would say that even though the album was rushed, it went for something great and almost got it....I will take something that goes for it and falls a bitshort everytime, yet it had so much heart....

Some of my best u2 bootlegs are from this tour....Listen to (or you tube) opening night vs Mexico City or even better yet Sao Paulo Brazil....I wish i was atthat show...

Giants Stadium was rocking during my show and I hope to hear one or two tunes from a great album....

www.atu2.com is reporting that Your Blue Room is being done with a link to the Space Station....Same time period and thats agood song too and could have easily gone on Pop....Lets Hear It....Gone, Please, Last Night....etc...Come on...North America is ready....

I would love to hear "Do You Feel Love."
I was always amazed this wasn't a single.

I have a new job (with a new longer commute) so I've been compiling CDs for the journeys.

Listening to "If You Wear That Velvet Dress."
I love the bass. I love the ethereal ambience.
(I hope it calms me in traffic)

poppaculture wrote:

I would love to hear "Do You Feel Love."

I was always amazed this wasn't a single.

I have a new job (with a new longer commute) so I've been compiling CDs for the journeys.

Listening to "If You Wear That Velvet Dress."

I love the bass. I love the ethereal ambience.

(I hope it calms me in traffic)

Try and find Scottsdale (member here) and ask for some Popmart shows (later ones are awesome-South America)....

I agree....Do you feel love would be awesome in Vegas or LA....