Curious phrase in "No Line on the Horizon"

J_E_Lim

Dear all,

I have been a most devoted U2 fan since the age of 9 back in 1982. I had the benefit of a brother 9 1/2 years older than me who saw U2 at Providence, RhodeIsland at a club with only 40 people in the audience. I will always recall August of 1985, aged 12, listening to the live version of "Bad" on thestereo my brother brought back from Harvard in the room we shared in our parent's house. Yes, I do enjoy the music of U2.

So with this foreword, may I mention the following:

At roughly 2:16 on the song, "No Line on the Horizon," has it not been noticed the melodic phrase which Bono is singing is, effectively, therefrain's melody from "Whisper to a Scream" by Icicle Works? Whereas he takes the careful measure of substituting the super-tonic with themediant in each recurrence of the phrase, unlike Icicle Works, the exact same rhythm and harmonic progression can be heard sung by Bono?

I am a bit disappointed that the title song of the album is clearly referring to a song of the '80s without reference. Having purchased the album off theinternet, I did not get the benefit of any album notes. If U2 has, in fact, attributed the melody to Icicle Works in the album notes, I would greatly forsakehaving mentioned this issue.

In conclusion, I would like to note that there are so many songs by U2 which I have enjoyed greatly over the years. However, I do feel it important to notewhat appears to be far more than coincidental in one of their latest works.

Sincerely,

Edward Lim

New York, NY