Songs of Ascent

blueyedboy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say I want them to turn into a metal band (or even a techno band), but just incorprate some little blasts of it here and there. They have done it in the past (The Fly and Exit are cases in point on metal - HMTMKMKM and Edge's recent renditions of Bullet the Blue Sky have bordered on metal - and Shadows and Tall Trees is also considered by some to be "soft" metal). But whatever...

As for a quote from Bono on NLOTH, here it is:

http://mypoproks.com/2007...fluences-for-u2-album-3/

Bono made these comments mid-December 2009 less than 6 wks before the album was released. It would appear that whatever they had come up with before was watered down so it would be more 'palatable' to the mass market, or, Bono was simply lying. It's probably the latter. I still have the sh*ts with them for not delivering anything like he said. :P

• Subscriber

I didn't say I want them to turn into a metal band (or even a techno band), but just incorprate some little blasts of it here and there. They have done it in the past (The Fly and Exit are cases in point on metal - HMTMKMKM and Edge's recent renditions of Bullet the Blue Sky have bordered on metal - and Shadows and Tall Trees is also considered by some to be "soft" metal). But whatever...

As for a quote from Bono on NLOTH, here it is:

http://mypoproks.com/2007...fluences-for-u2-album-3/

Bono made these comments mid-December 2009 less than 6 wks before the album was released. It would appear that whatever they had come up with before was watered down so it would be more 'palatable' to the mass market, or, Bono was simply lying. It's probably the latter. I still have the sh*ts with them for not delivering anything like he said. :P

that was my first impression when i read that. u2 were going to release an album like tool or more heavy like in terms of the songwriting. although i like no line, it is not what they said it would be. i think rick rubin produced something different, u2 didnt like it and re-worked it with eno and lanois to add more song writing tips to the music and then painted with the eno brush.

i was expecting something raw and rough, hard in your face but the lyrics and voice of bono, distorted bass lines and programmed industrial drums. at bit of dare to the songwriting if you like.

but we got no line, ill live with it, its a great album. even though it wasnt the album we were told about.

• Subscriber
i was expecting something raw and rough, hard in your face but the lyrics and voice of bono, distorted bass lines and programmed industrial drums. at bit of dare to the songwriting if you like.

god if we could get that album tho

• Subscriber

[quote name='celticfc09 wrote:

MacFoley']i was expecting something raw and rough, hard in your face but the lyrics and voice of bono, distorted bass lines and programmed industrial drums. at bit of dare to the songwriting if you like.

i think get on your boots is the song that has this. riffing from edge, distorted bass lines, programme drums, shame the public thought u2 had turned shite overnight!

• Subscriber

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

celticfc09 wrote:

MacFoley']i was expecting something raw and rough, hard in your face but the lyrics and voice of bono, distorted bass lines and programmed industrial drums. at bit of dare to the songwriting if you like.

i think get on your boots is the song that has this. riffing from edge, distorted bass lines, programme drums, shame the public thought u2 had turned shite overnight!

yeah agreed. No Line has some rock, definitely

Stand Up Comedy

Breathe

No Line

Boots

id like to see em try to pull off Fish out of Water Boots live. Like the intro they use is close enough, i think they could do it.

I haven't heard Fish OOW Boots - sounds interesting.

I really think Boots was the only song Bono had in mind when he made those earlier comments about what NLOTH would be like. I have to admit that I don't mind that song - but it is certainly overall one of the most contrived and cynical pop efforts from the band.

Stand Up Comedy has a great guitar riff - one of Edge's best, it's just a shame the rest of the song is so lame (especially Bono's lyrics). I love the attitude they start out with in Breathe, but they seem to hold back and play it safe with the chorus instead of really going for it. Ugh, and I hate Bono's vocals on the album version of No Line - that hideous bit where he makes that noise about 'her putting her tongue in his ear' pretty much ruined the entire song for me. I don't know why anyone in the camp thought that sounded good and allowed it to go out - I think it's an embarassment!!

• Subscriber

yeah fishy boots is pretty interesting. you could look at it as a bad edit of boots with countless (and useless) layers of computer music. That's how i look at pretty much ever dance remix - i despise them

or

you could take it another way (as i have done this time). they almost added more rock'n'roll to it. its a bit slowed down, and edge's lyrics are out i think. so its just bono and the tempo + the new layers almost adds a new level of desparation to it. (its the peace song of the album, so it almost feels like Please at times) it really sounds nothing like the original. they added a real drivnig bass part to it, they took Larry's drum smashing from the "let me in the sound" part and carry that thru the whole track. It is like a continuation of the Live intro.

if you can find it, take a listen