Another "where were you" thread.

illumination70

I was thinking since September 11th's eight-year anniversary is this Friday, I was wondering if anyone here remembers what you were doing when the attackon the World Trade Center occurred?

As for me, I was living near Seattle and had finished my workout when my mom called to tell me what was going on. My mother said "We're underattack, the World Trade Center is destroyed, lots of people are dead". As a result of the phone call, I turned on the tv only to see the footage in totalshock.

By the way, here's a photo I took from the South tower when I studied fashion at the World Trade Center in January 1990. The irony is when I was excitedabout visiting the building and wildly snapping photos when one of the teacher said "save your film because these buildings will always be here"

Scan0002_002-1.jpg

I was watching soaps on BBC1 then it came on a new alert and was on for the rest of the afternoon. It was mad. Also my friend showed me a DVD of what thefiremen encounterd and just remember the noise of the people falling from the towers when they were in it was just haunting!

RIP!

My mother in law was in France so I had to feed her animals and I was at her house over here on the beach in Central Florida. I was standing outsidesurrounded by squirrels & birds (feeding the outsiders as they are called) and was thinking about what a beautiful morning it was when my husband said youneed to come in here something is wrong. So I was watching the tv going what the hell happened when the second airplane hit. I dropped to my knees praying andcrying, I tried to phone my mom-in-law in France couldn't get through. I got through to my father who was our state senator, he was in the command room w/Jeb Bush (our Governor at the time) in Tallahassee. My dad told me to get the kids outta school and get home immediately and that's what I did. The schoolhad my son waiting for me in the office when I got there, it was part of some protocol for an emergency that I didn't even have a clue about and when I gothome I was on the phone with him and Jeb when the plane hit the Pentagon. That was one of the longest days of my life and it changed me forever. I wasterrified for my country. I was heartbroken at the loss of life and how evil it all was. I still get so angry when I think about it, really angry and I'dgive anything to have one minute alone w/ Bin laden, I'd slit his throat & cut his heart out. Yes, there is a time when two wrongs do make a right. Andthat time will come.

• Subscriber

I was a few days into the 7th grade. I was in my Orchestra class, 4th period, when the teacher adressed "some rumors about terrorist attacks in thecity". He didn't say anything other than that they were true. For some reason I assumed that whatever had happened, happened sometime in the pastweek. I hadn't heard of anything unusual that morning. He said "It happened this morning". I was curious, because he said they were evacuatingthe city, and my dad works in the city (I live on Long Island, about an hour from New York City). So after class I went to the pay phone in the lobby of theschool and called my mom. There was already a line of kids waiting to use the phone. I asked her what had happened...and she said that she had just watched theTwin Towers collapse on TV. I was shocked...stunned, actually. I didn't know what the hell was going on. She said my dad had called her and said"Don't freak out, but a plane just hit one of the world trade center buildings." So naturally, she freaked out. My then baby sister had beenwatching cartoons all morning and my mom had no idea until she called. I still didn't realize what it meant, I don't think...that thousands of peoplehad died. A lot of people, including myself, were picked up from school early. I remember sitting at my kitchen table, trying to eat a peanut butter and bananasandwich, staring at the sky wondering if a plane was going to crash into my backyard or something. There had been talk about other planes that were in theair, and whether or not they posed a threat as well.

My dad said that the second plane flew so low that he could read the numbers on the bottom.

Needless to say, this was a very emotional place in the wake of it all.

The worst thing was, before we found out what had happened, everyone was joking around about it, as middle schoolers tend to do...we had no idea how serious itwas.

• Subscriber

I was watching TV.

A bit after 4pm (I live in GMT+2 time zone, that's 7 hours ahead of NYC) there were news on radio, and my sister came to tell me and my mom that a planehas hit WTC. Since we thought it was but an accident, we didn't pay much attention and decided to wait until 6pm news on the telly. So I kept watchingDiscovery Ch. or stuff like that.

Only then, when turning in on 6 o'clock news, did we find out about that there have been two planes and it's been a terrorist attack. We were allwatching in disbelief.... even our local national TV stations stopped broadcasting their usual programmings and till late focused on the attacks the whole timeinstead.

I was in college doing an hnd in sports management i didn't know it had happened until about 5pm british time i got a text from someone about it i waitedfor a punchline because i thought it was a joke......got home and seen it for myself.....man it was fucked up.

• Subscriber

I was getting ready for work and saw the news about the first plane going into one of the towers. Called my brother who worked at the airport (LAX) and toldhim what was happening and as I was speaking to him the second plane crashed into the 2nd tower. Way too scary and saddening. I was scared to drive to work.The whole day was spent in the office watching the television in Spanish since that was the only channel we could get reception for, in the office where I wasworking at.....

• Subscriber

I was playing badminton with my then girlfriend (now wife) when the attacks happened and didn't know about them until about an hour later when I waslistening to radio 1 (uk) in my car whilst waiting outside some shops. I thought that it was a bit odd that the radio station were playing song after song withno DJ interrupting. It was even odder because Chris Moyles was at that time occupying the afternoon slot on the station and he is not exactly noted for being aquiet individual. Eventually he came on air to say that due to the events that are unfolding in New York at the present time and out of respect for the victimshe found it inappropriate to continue with his show and would play more music until the Radio 1 controller himself makes a decision on what the next stepsshould be. Chris's next choice of music was One by U2.