12th Anniversary of U2 in Sarajevo

• Subscriber

The concert was broadcasted live on a radio station here in Romania, I remember that Bono completly lost his voice after 5-6 songs, he was choking and couldn't sing anymore, but the crowd didn't cared too much of this. And before U2 started to play Even Better Than the Real Thing, Bono said this (in)famous words: "Fuck the past, kiss the future, viva Sarajevo, viva Sarajevo!".

I was there, and there are no words to describe what that concert personaly meant to me and a lot of other people...

The reason why I'm in Love with U2 is that they've made me to be a better man and they proved that friendship is the highest form of Love...

There are no bands out-there that i could say the same about them...

Viva Sarajevo Fuck The Past Kiss The Future Viva!!!

Thanks for the thread :))

• 9 months later...

I have some friends who were in what was Yugoslavia as those present day countries were forming themselves. I know the theory of civil war, but only from an academic perspective.

I listened to the concert as it was broadcast live on Radio 1 here in the Uk & was reminded again how music in general & U2 specifically transcends language.

Edge added some Hendrix-level feedback to Bullet in the Blue sky; Bono talked about Nato bombs in the same context of help & relief & woke something long dormant in my soul.

I have see the band three times in 15 years yet nothing ever comes close to the emotion & context of that night.

I learned how to pray again. Thank you for this.

R

• Subscriber

I remember it well. As mentioned, Bono lost his voice during this show and Edge did an incredible slowed down version of Sunday Bloody Sunday.

A coworker of mine is from Yugoslavia. When she first started she noticed a picture I have on my desk of my son with Bono. She said "I know who that is... I love that man. He played a concert in Sarajevo for my people and I will never forget what he did for us".

It was an amazing conversation. I realized then, truly, how big U2 playing Sarajevo really was.