U2 - CRoss Generational Experiences?

CheezeburgerChip

My son is 11. I'm 41. I became rabid with U2 some 26 year ago  Unforgetable Fire, Amesity. Then the world stole my band- dang it.

Coolest thing in the world. At 3, my son, Lee (born in 1998) asked me to play that "blue sky song" again - Bullet the blue sky". and again, and again, and again. I told him their were other songs on that album beside that song (I was actually getting burned out on a U2 song!). "really daddy there are other songs on that album that are as good"? - Big.. Blue... Three year old eyes were mesmerize.

Oh yeah there is. He's hooked for life. Or at least I hope so, that would be something so cool to share with my son during the pre-teen and teen years.

2005 - Lee is now 7. "Vertigo" was the two of us cruzing in my mid life crisis S-2000 on some windy mountain roads. When he hears it now, he misses the car.

"Sometimes" - what a song. I am greatful that I got to send that lyric to my dad BEFORE he passed. Bono's dad knew how much he loved him, but that lyric is something so special as roles change between an aging tough dad and his "young bull" that he now realizes is tough enough to "take some punches" for Dad. What a sweet, sad, wonderful role reversal. Especially if both parties understand the aging process (he someday, I hope to be fortunate enough for that to be my son taking some punches for me- and me allowing him to).

I sent that lyric to my Dad on Father's day (he is 80-thinks U2 is a spy plane). The gravity of that song and the love in it - moved us both. Thank you Bono- I could never have said it to my dad like that, we are much closer now. It was difficult and wonderful to see my "rough cop dad" cry at some simple words. But he told me  he loved me so much after reading it - he doesn't say that often.

By the way any of the U2 Crew out there, this is shameless plug, I would love nothing more than to intoduce my son to you the band at that concert on 10/6. Or heck, drop by the house - just call ahead so I know to expect you. What that would mean to my Leebo!!!!(I can dream can't I?)

Ok - Does U2 cross any other generational boundries out there. Just curious.

Cheeseburger

• Subscriber

Ha ha! Don't worry - my daughter is 9 and loves No Line On The Horizon especially Boots and Magnificent. She also thought vertigo was great after their video ("that one where their bums are fire") and beautiful day ("the football song!") (it was used on UK TV for a football programme). Every morning on the drive to work we have to have to U2 on ... well somethimes Avril!

I am a big u2 fan. for about the same time as you 25 years... I have four kids ranging from 12 to 4. We took the four year old to two of the Dublin vertigo shows when she was just 7 weeks. I had her in a sling and cotton balls in her ears and the plan was for my hubby to take her out of the stadium if she was distressed in anyway during the show. She fussed during the opening acts but went to sleep during u2 both nights! I figure the music got into her head anyhow, because she loves loads of different kinds of music now including u2. This year we took the older 2 kids to see the Saturday show, they loved it but were kind of disappointed they didn't play elevation that night. Still, they would love to go again. I reckon they are addicted! Next time maybe our third child will go. It's like a rite of passage in our family, going to see u2!

• Subscriber

My parents were big fan of U2 in the early-mid 80's and I still remember playing (or ruining..) their copy of War at the tender age of 5. I saw my first U2 concert with my dad in 1997 in Dallas when he purchased tickets for us as a high school graduation present. Up until his death on September 21st 2008, (coincidentally exactly a year before the second Boston show that I just got back from) we saw at least one show per tour together. U2 were a common link for us and made it easier for us to discuss the things that were on our heart. Thank you for sharing your story!

Megan