I wish U2 was more like Pearl Jam

newsman

• Subscriber

I love U2. I have seen them live more times than I can remember without pausing to think. But after seeing their shows back to back in Chicago at Soldier Field and seeing Pearl Jam back to back in Seattle this week, I wish the world's biggest band was more like the world's hardest touring band. While I found myself disappointed and bored with night 2 in Chicago with U2 because the set lists were almost identical, Pearl Jam repeated just a few songs from night one during the 28-song night two set (and the repeats were all new songs). I hate to say it, but the two sold-out Pearl Jam shows at Key Arena were more lively and moving than the U2 shows. I've started to feel like U2's music has become dwarfed by the technology. They are for the most part slaves to the light show, preventing them from truly mixing it up night to night. I hope that changes.

• Subscriber

You should know U2 never change the setlist because of the choreography, You've seen a show you've seen them all, specially stadium shows, I can't remember U2 changing a complete setlist, never only a couple of song. This is not something new, the setlists of every tour are almost identical. And 2nd Stadium shows are not worth seeing back to back night. Arena show are made for that, they are more intimate. My point of view.

Pearl Jam is an amazing show... best live band I have ever seen without any exception. Its a different kind of show however, where they use very minimal lighting and effects. at the United Center they even kept the big screens black and white and hung um up high away from things. They generally have better sound than most shows I have been to as well.

U2 is more about the "big show" and thats cool, but its not the kind of thing I would go to more than once a tour. PJ on the other hand i could see everynight because I know the sets will be different, the emotions different... I do wish U2 would craft a show that was spontanious, but I understand why they do what they do now given their rep for bringin the "big show".

Yep, Pearl Jam can just adlib their setlist...not much production involved. As for U2, they're more like Pink Floyd....not a bad comparison there. As for being choreagraphed, working w/a lot of national acts....most have....its just that some are more obvious than others. Weather it be cues for the sound guy, or switching guitars, or even being at the right spot at the right time for the spots and lighting. I think U2's feeling is that even though there's repeat fans coming in for the 2nd night, the 1st timers out weigh them more.....and if they only have 1 night in a city, they're gonna play their standard setlist....although I was expecting them to play New York, in New York...just like them playing One Tree Hill, every time they play in New Zealand. Now on the 2nd leg of the N. American tour, I can see them changing the setlist more for the ones they've played in already....and maybe include new songs from 'Songs Of Ascent'. If you look at ZooTV, Popmart, and even The Joshua Tree tour, they stick to the same setlist, with only a bit of variations....and they gradually drop/ add songs. When I saw the Vertigo tour, they were at that point where the encore was more mellow with Stuck In A Moment (acoustic) and The First Time...and they dropped An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart and Electric Co., and replaced it with the combo of Beautiful Day/Blackbird and In A Little While...didn't like it!...but as a whole, the concert experience was still great.