Re-Subscription Fleece (Merged)

Blunt Laser

• Subscriber

I'm sure there are many posts on this already but since i've never understood the layout of this shoddy forum i can't find them. so i thought i'd start a thread. I simply cannot believe that we are being asked for more money just to get presale codes and a mix cd. Most of us have six months left until we have to shell out another $40. We are having the piss taken out of us. i've been a subscriber for a few years and to find out i have to pay $40 for the chance of pre-sale tickets is disgusting. For the amount we've spent on the group in the last six months we should all get a free cd!! I am going to take this as far as i can, not really sure of my chances of contacting anyone who gives a shit though. i'll keep you posted. Sorry for the rant, i love U2 and i really wish they wouldn't do this!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Totally agree. I've never paid up to be "a fan" on here and only use the free forums. Missed out on Vertigo tour as I was unaware of the website back then but got tickets for 360 through general sale. Saying that my record collection suggests I've paid a fair amount already to be a fan but you are spot on it is a scam.

• Subscriber

Yes we may be subscribed until 2011 but what happens if the extend the tour again and ask for more money

As this rate I'll be dead before my subscription runs out

I feel if the tickets go on sale 2009 and we have a subscription for 2009 then we should not have to resubscribe untill next year

I agree it a rip off

Boo to U2

• Subscriber

I am in total agreement with you I think it's disgusting. What a lovely way to reward your loyal fans who already came to see you by extorting even more money out of them. ' oh thanks very much for spending your hard earned cash and struggling to scrape the money together to come and see us, here's a a little thank you gift, we understand times are hard'

On top of this is the early sale of tickets for the 2010 return to Europe,  after spending a fortune seeing them this summer at multiple shows there's been no time to recover financially for this. All the talk with other fans at the shows was that we would have a good few months to prepare and save like mad for 2010 tickets. Somebody suggested on atu2 forum that the early sale  was a tactic to gauge the viability of adding extra dates at some venues based on the speed of ticket sales, fair point. But I think they might be shooting themselves in the foot with this. The many many people I met who had spent a lot of money following the tour and would normally make up large numbers of sales on pre sale are now broke and will not be able to buy tickets not to mention the added cost of re-subscribing and the ticket master fees. Therefore any gauging of demand for the purposes of adding extra dates may well not reflect the actual demand.

For a lot of us the money we spend on U2 is not just spare cash we have lying around, it's a struggle and we are sacrificing other things to follow our passion and though that is our choice I can't help feeling somewhat taken for a ride. The only thing I hope is that the band themselves do not know about all of this because if they did I would be so disappointed.

• Subscriber
I am in total agreement with you I think it's disgusting. What a lovely way to reward your loyal fans who already came to see you by extorting even more money out of them. ' oh thanks very much for spending your hard earned cash and struggling to scrape the money together to come and see us, here's a a little thank you gift, we understand times are hard'

On top of this is the early sale of tickets for the 2010 return to Europe,  after spending a fortune seeing them this summer at multiple shows there's been no time to recover financially for this. All the talk with other fans at the shows was that we would have a good few months to prepare and save like mad for 2010 tickets. Somebody suggested on atu2 forum that the early sale  was a tactic to gauge the viability of adding extra dates at some venues based on the speed of ticket sales, fair point. But I think they might be shooting themselves in the foot with this. The many many people I met who had spent a lot of money following the tour and would normally make up large numbers of sales on pre sale are now broke and will not be able to buy tickets not to mention the added cost of re-subscribing and the ticket master fees. Therefore any gauging of demand for the purposes of adding extra dates may well not reflect the actual demand.

For a lot of us the money we spend on U2 is not just spare cash we have lying around, it's a struggle and we are sacrificing other things to follow our passion and though that is our choice I can't help feeling somewhat taken for a ride. The only thing I hope is that the band themselves do not know about all of this because if they did I would be so disappointed.

Although I didn't hesitate to re-sub on the first day (even before I got my official email from U2.com), I am somewhat miffed at how this is playing out. I don't have a problem with the early resub to get a new presale code, because I had already used mine all up, with the understanding that I would not be issued a new code for a 2010 leg - so to me, this part is a serious BONUS! Plus, we get a $10 discount for early resub, and the CD will be here in time to put in my hubby's Christmas stocking. 

However, I was very taken aback by the concept of tickets for some shows going on sale almost a full year in advance. I think it would have been fine to announce the dates for shows, but it really is ridiculous to ask follks to buy tickets that far out -- so much can happen in someone's life in that time span - for better or worse that could affect their ability to purchase tickets. The six-month window we had last time is far enough, I think. I agree there are folks out there who would get tickets - but can't afford to right now. I also think there will be people who would buy tickets, but might decide not to because they simply cannot commit to something that far in advance for a number of reasons. I spent over $1,200 to attend the 2 shows in Toronto with my husband and kids, and we actually chose to give up a week's vacation in the summer in order to do that. It was a good decision, but right now, I am actually relieved they have not published the NA return dates or suggested early on-sale. (Of course, I've re-subbed to get a presale code for shows that I don't even know will happen....and if they don't, then it really was a bit of a waste because I sure as heck can't go to Europe.... so I will not even get to use another presale code if they don't come back to either Canada or some cities in the US driveable from here.

• Subscriber

I totally agree with all what you're saying.  I feel that I am being ripped off by being told if you want to take part in the next euro pre-sale you have to re-subscribe to U2.com - they're having a laugh right - apparently not if you read the small print. I won't re-sub early after the shambles of last time I was told to by U2.com/Fan Fire, I was kicked up hill and down dale over that one, never again - the renewal gift took 9 monthes to arrive after about 20 letters/emails to 'customer services'.

I thought U2 et all were about giving their fans a fair deal and against unreasonable, unfair ticket profiteering?!  Obviously not according to the latest message.

Also U2.con sorry .com has recently spent alot of time and no doubt some of our subscription cash realigning all the membership expiry dates after the last shambles.  So surely this next episode is going to bugger up all that again. 

If we renew too far in advance, as they're proposing then what happens next time there's a renewal gift or presale - we'll automatically be void - we'll be told sorry you can't renew - you're already in credit by 2 or however many years.

"Hey Subscriptions Dept. what a bloody shambles - your fired!" (if only)

_44712032_alansugar226282.jpg

Oh yeah and another thing, what was all that bloody flannel about people living in Europe can only buy pre-sale tickets for one-show?  Should that have not said People in Europe can only buy tickets for one-show until they pay a further 40/50 dollars then they can buy another one, where does it say that in European Law or Ticketmaster/Live Nation ticketing rules?

frown.gifI agree with you all, my subs do not expire until March 2010 and I have just recieved an e-mail saying I must re-subscribe to be on Pre-sales I am gob smacked. I am fairly new to this site but have loved and followed U2 since the 1980s and I am so disappointed but reading other fans comments this is not a new thing.  Like a lot of U2 fans I have saved like mad and made sacrifices to go to see them. I would follow U2 to the ends of the earth but at what cost. I hope the band do not know about this rip off because I would be sadly disappointed .