I asked Adam about BAD Tonight

MaryfrmNY

• Subscriber

After the SNL show Edge, Adam and Bono stopped.  Edge stopped first and while he was kind of surrounded by a crowd, Adam stopped and there were only a handful of us near him.  He was sweet as usual, shook hands, said hello and was taking pictures with quite a few people. I told him that the Jersey show last week was great but then asked if I could ask him a question.   I said,"Why does it seem like you guys are being a bit stingy with Bad lately?" So he said, that they try to play it sometimes.  I said, "Yes, you usually do but you haven't played it since Chicago.. didn't play it in Toronto, Boston or New York" So then he said, "Well, it seems like it's from a different era." I said  "Yeah, maybe but it's just such a great song, I love it."  

He went back to posing for some more photos, then I said, "Can I ask you another question?" and I asked him what they were planning to do at Gavin's show next week. He said they weren't sure yet but would probably be doing about four songs. I really wasn't looking for a set list, I was just wondering if they were planning on doing anything unusual. Guess I'll have to wait to find out. He was calm, sweet and gentlemanly as ever. :)

Bono's car stopped next (in the middle of the street)  Bono got out, said hello. I asked him how he was doing and he shook my hand and a few others, but then a bunch of people rushed over and started pushing so he got back into his car and left. Can't blame him for that, people really need to try to stay calm and not scare them off.

I only got one picture of Adam with another fan and it came out all blurry.  I know pictures are nice but I would just rather enjoy the moment and have a little chat rather than fiddle around with cameras and autographs.

OK, now back to Bad.  I know it IS from a different era but do you think it's "outdated?" To me it's U2s most timeless song.. I've been listening to it for so many years and never, ever get tired of it and live it's just the most amazing song ever.   What do you think?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

I don't think it's outdated. Not at all.

Maybe they don't play it as much as we'd like them to play it so the song remained it's special status. If you were going to a show and knowing that BAD would be played it wouldn't be as thrilling as going to the show hoping that BAD gets played and actually having they play it.

It's a dimond on a ring of gold that's put on on a special occasion :)

• Community Manager

was lucky enough to hear them play Bad twice on this tour, at Dublin 1 and Wembley 2, both times, without doubt, unforgettable moments and highlights for everyone there.

Think that they keep it up their sleeve for reasons only known to themselves, maybe it is from another era, but for me, it is timeless and as relevant now as it ever was.

• Subscriber
P.S. I'm happy for you to have met the band and had a little chat with Adam. :) It's alright there's no photo - you still have your memories :)
Thanks! :) Yeah, it all happens so quick after waiting around for a long time (in the rain). A lot of people got really great photos.. especially with Adam because everyone in that group was so calm and took turns.  But in a couple of them he's looking off to the side where I was standing while he was answering my questions.  Sorry if I ruined anyone's photos but I just had to know!

• Subscriber
was lucky enough to hear them play Bad twice on this tour, at Dublin 1 and Wembley 2, both times, without doubt, unforgettable moments and highlights for everyone there.

Think that they keep it up their sleeve for reasons only known to themselves, maybe it is from another era, but for me, it is timeless and as relevant now as it ever was.

Yeah, lucky you!   I heard it quite a few times on the last tour but I only went to one show this tour and don't have any plans for any others... so I guess I'll have to wait another 4 years or so. Or MAYBE they'll play it at Gavin's show next week.. wouldn't that be great! :)

Would it be less special if they played it more often? I don't know.. a few years ago I had it on repeat in my car stereo for a MONTH and never once got sick of it.  It's like a million different songs in one and it just does something to me.

• Subscriber

No not outdated, unless there are no more problems with addiction (to anything) in the world and we know that isn't the case. I just love the song...before I ever knew what it was about....and I guess I am glad it isn't played as often--makes it more special when it is. We were in the seats section 103 row 3 in Chicago and I saw Bono go over and tell Adam "Bad" after they finished a song- they were getting ready to play something else but Bono changed his mind. I couldn't believe it and I thought I was just wanting to hear it so badly that I misread the mouthed word but then they started those tingly notes....it was wonderful....as for crazy fans: I have told this before but:

We were shopping in Chicago on Sept 13th-Sunday and we decided to see if that hotel they had mentioned on here the night before (later they had a video on the home page of fans that Sat -not Sun-greeting the band outside their hotel) was nearby---we just wanted to see where the rich people stay :) we didn't know (naive we were) that there would be people waiting outside of it. We got to the corner where the hotel should have been according to our map and no hotel to our left or straight ahead. We were about to say Oh well...when we heard screaming....turned to our right and there was a huge crowd....we went over and Bono had just come out...who knew? anyway this lady starts screaming at Bono "I gave Ali the letter Bono. I gave Ali the letter!" and then she pushed me out of the way. Of course he kinda ignored her and left (who wouldn't?) to the other side and she followed him. I decided that I would just take a few pix and enjoy the moment....but the weird ones sure ruin it for everyone else. My friend even has a picture of the big security guy (secret service look alike guy) in the suit taking a pic of the crowd that she was in. We thought why would he take a picture from behind Bono of the crowd. I guess to document weird ladies like that.....sad....we just wanted to thank him for the music....and a handshake...or a pic! Sorry for the book....should go to bed....

• Subscriber

Yeah, I should go to bed too.. it's nearly 5am! But after meeting the band and then giving Jesse a ride to his friend's house in the Bronx (and getting lost a few times in a not too good neighborhood) I'm not sleeping! ;)

Didn't notice any really crazy fans, just a bit over-eager I guess. Although a friend said the group around Edge were really pushy. It's a shame because especially with Bono, they ruined what could have been a really nice experience.

Oh another thing.. U2 is going to be filming in NY for VH1 Legends next week.. something about black and white and maybe with Elvis Costello.   I know where..... but I'm not telling. lol