I asked Adam about BAD Tonight

MaryfrmNY

And congrats on meeting the band, little bit of a shame that some pushy fans sent Bono back into his car though!

Thats usually how it goes. I've never met so many crazies as I have waiting to meet U2. 

I think its funny how they're saying Bad is becoming outdated. Now you know how the Pop fans feel. Welcome to our world.

Besides, Bad has sucked since 2005.  Now YBR? Play it every time instead of Bad.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the SNL show Edge, Adam and Bono stopped.  Edge stopped first and while he was kind of surrounded by a crowd, Adam stopped and there were only a handful of us near him.  He was sweet as usual, shook hands, said hello and was taking pictures with quite a few people. I told him that the Jersey show last week was great but then asked if I could ask him a question.   I said,"Why does it seem like you guys are being a bit stingy with Bad lately?" So he said, that they try to play it sometimes.  I said, "Yes, you usually do but you haven't played it since Chicago.. didn't play it in Toronto, Boston or New York" So then he said, "Well, it seems like it's from a different era." I said  "Yeah, maybe but it's just such a great song, I love it."  

He went back to posing for some more photos, then I said, "Can I ask you another question?" and I asked him what they were planning to do at Gavin's show next week. He said they weren't sure yet but would probably be doing about four songs. I really wasn't looking for a set list, I was just wondering if they were planning on doing anything unusual. Guess I'll have to wait to find out. He was calm, sweet and gentlemanly as ever. :)

Bono's car stopped next (in the middle of the street)  Bono got out, said hello. I asked him how he was doing and he shook my hand and a few others, but then a bunch of people rushed over and started pushing so he got back into his car and left. Can't blame him for that, people really need to try to stay calm and not scare them off.

I only got one picture of Adam with another fan and it came out all blurry.  I know pictures are nice but I would just rather enjoy the moment and have a little chat rather than fiddle around with cameras and autographs.

OK, now back to Bad.  I know it IS from a different era but do you think it's "outdated?" To me it's U2s most timeless song.. I've been listening to it for so many years and never, ever get tired of it and live it's just the most amazing song ever.   What do you think?

You should have asked about Mofo!!!
Why not?!?!

I totally agree with you, Bad is from another time in U2's musical history, but is NOT outdated. I myself was hoping to hear it Wed. nite at Giants stadium , as well as other older hits, as I've never seen any "old" stuff live. Wish I could've been in the audience for SNL, found out late they were performing. What a memory for you!!

• Subscriber

I think its different for everyone. Not so much outdated perhaps, but more a matter of feeling. I would figure U2 sit down and figure out the basic setlist before a tour, build around their current album and what phase they are in at that time. And certain songs would probably not fit in the current tour as they see it at that time. Doesnt mean they are outdated or not still great songs in my view. Maybe if they were asked the same question again in more calm setting, you might get a more accurate and better describing anwser.

They've dropped crowd favourites before for 1 or more tours. SBS, ISHFWILF, Bullet, Pride and others, all famous and certain crowdpleasers live. The songs, that I can think of at least, that have never not been played after their debut are only Streets and One I think. Maybe Wowy, BD, not sure.

But anyway, as others said, it seems like if they (Bono) feel the moment is there, they play Bad.
Although I love the song, it's not a let down for me if they don't play it. The only song I would really 'need' to hear is Streets. And lucky for me they always play it ;-)
I've been lucky to get Bad twice tho this tour, Amsterdam 2 and Wembley 2. Lucky, not only because of the song, but also cause you kinda feel that U2 thinks it's one of those special nights aswell.

Think it proves aswell where U2 are at. This album is the best since Achtung Baby IMHO. And even if others might not agree, at least it shows they are still relevant, renewing themselves and still going forwards. So they dont necessarily have to rely on old hits in concerts as many other (older) bands do. Of course they do have to play a certain amount of older hits, which is normal. But as they do have many recognizable hits they can shuffle it around, not having to build it around the same 5 or 6 songs every tour like other bands often have to.

I found it interesting what The Edge said in the interview on this site not long ago. He said that there is no perfect setlist. Maybe on a given night it works perfect, but its always changing and dynamic, keeping it interesting for themselves aswell. (Paraphrasing a bit)

Btw, I like the meet the band stories. Would love to get the chance one day too. And even though I would enjoy the moment, my camera would be in ready mode for sure! ;-)

Yeah, I guess it's just that I would go see U2 even if I knew they were only going to play one song... if that song was Bad .....and I'd be happy. lol
Still getting over not hearing recently in BOSTON , my point is the same BAD should be an every show song, it is such a great live song it can be played at anytime in the set. as stated before I would swap out any of the other song for this .......TOO BAD !

• Subscriber

I've yet to hear Bad at any of the U2 concerts I've been to and would definitely love to hear it. It's not outdated to me, and I would put it right up there with UTEOTW, 40, Gone and BTBS(pre-Vertigo) as U2's five greatest live, non-single, songs.

I guess U2 not playing Bad frequently does make it extra great to hear when it is actually performed. In any case, it's hard to deny the relevance of its performance at Live Aid.

• 1 year later...
  • Subscriber

Yeah, I should go to bed too.. it's nearly 5am! But after meeting the band and then giving Jesse a ride to his friend's house in the Bronx (and getting lost a few times in a not too good neighborhood) I'm not sleeping! ;)

Didn't notice any really crazy fans, just a bit over-eager I guess. Although a friend said the group around Edge were really pushy. It's a shame because especially with Bono, they ruined what could have been a really nice experience.

Oh another thing.. U2 is going to be filming in NY for VH1 Legends next week.. something about black and white and maybe with Elvis Costello.   I know where..... but I'm not telling. lol

Mary,

its me Jesse, i didn't know you were on here!!