Feeling awfully discouraged at the moment...

LinneaS

• Subscriber

Warning: rant follows!!

So I've been in school for about seven weeks now.  I'm learning electroencephalography (brain and nerve testing).  I had a big test on Monday, in which I was required to measure and mark someone's head for an EEG, within a certain time limit.  There's a certain way to do this, and it seems like it should be really easy, but it's not. I thought I was doing OK, and getting it, but I didn't pass, and then had a second chance the next day.  I worked like crazy, but I didn't pass that one either. I went home, seriously depressed, because the rule is that if you fail a skill test twice, you're kicked out of the class, and you have to withdraw (even if it's your very first skill test, which this one was.)  You can take the class again the next year, but I don't have that kind of money or time. Also, we've already been required to pay for a professional society membership, attend a conference (out of town, so we either had to pay for a hotel room, or else drive there and back in one day, spending money on gas in any case), and pay for a *very* expensive lab kit and books!  (I think I spent roughly $500-600 this semester alone for my books and lab kit.)  Oh yeah, and we are now past the point when we can get any of our tuition money back, too!  I was so depressed, I was actually thinking of trying to hurt myself.  I then heard from one of my classmates, who told me that not only didn't he pass, but TWELVE others besides didn't pass, either!  That's fourteen people who failed, out of a class of 24!  We're going to try to fight this, and get back in the class, with extra tutoring available. We're also going to try to get some things changed about this class.  My classmates and I aren't stupid, nor are we lazy.  We've all had to take anatomy/physiology, a couple of psychology classes, medical terminology, and math and English to even be admitted to the program.  All of us have been studying and working hard, but frankly, the books aren't much help, and our teacher isn't very good, either.  She's a very nice lady, and she worked in the field for many years, but she doesn't know how to teach.  She talks very fast in lecture, and she'll put stuff on the tests that she maybe mentioned once, in passing.  So the tests aren't exactly fair.  Also, she taught us to measure and mark one way, and then she checks our work using a different method!  None of it makes any sense, and a lot of us don't feel like we've learned very much.  We could use some prayers and good thoughts sent our way!!

So here's a question for all of you: what's your fave U2 song(s) to listen to when you're feeling discouraged?  For me, Beautiful Day, Stuck in a Moment, and Walk On are helping me get through this.  Any other suggestions?

• Subscriber

I understand your feeling discouraged, but to me it sounds like the problem is with the Instructor. With half of the class being unsuccessful in this skill test it seems like something is really amiss. Is there someone other than the instructor you can meet with, maybe meet as a group with a couple of spokes people, address your concerns, and find out why you cannot complete the course, you have paid for it, you should be able to complete it, I have not ever heard of program that dismisses people after one skill test and I am a Registered Nurse, if they let nursing students go after one poor skill test they would not have RN's in this world, practice makes perfect and the more often you do things the better your skills become. I truly wish you and your classmates all the best in challenging this.

Ultraviolet... and not just because they're playing it on this tour.

"Sometimes I feel like I don't know

Sometimes I feel like checkin' out

I want to get it wrong

Can't always be strong

... baby baby baby light my way"

Good luck and don't give up, my boyfriend had to repeat an exam 13 times at university before getting through it sick.gif

Acrobat.."Dont let the Bastards Grind you down"

study groups where u practice on others repeatedly helps, not just your friends or partner, bu tgetting the perspective of other students in the class can help...as many as possible

Dont Isolate! Take your complaints to the rest of the class. More complaining students is more power.

Go to the department chair with a group and a documented list of complaints

The instructor is being paid by YOU

YOU are her boss!

LINNEAS

Don't be discouraged!!

Sounds like more oppressive behaviour yet again,

Be true to yourself(ves) and your beliefs and do not tolerate this,

Strengthen together as One, have faith and believe!!!

With your inner spirit(not your mind) focus only on what is at hand in each moment.

Pray for wisdom and guideance and it will flow forth through you.

BAD always, always lifts and strengthens my spirit to seemingly invincible heights!!

• Subscriber

We had classes like that in nursing school. There was a notorious teacher who failed 75% of the class. Thankfully I passed but it was awful. Then after we graduated, the following class got her dismissed. Our class had tried, but well.... She was tough but many say that is why we passed our boards. However I think your teacher has experience in the field but that does not equate ability to teach it. Go with that argument. Explain how much you all have been studying and that if so many of you didn't pass then obviously there is a problem with how she is teaching or that your class will require more HANDS ON teaching rather than sitting in lecture. DON"T hurt yourself. This too shall pass. Sometimes Out of Control gets me going!

• Subscriber

sometimes you can't make it on your own...

i feel for you! i went through nursey-school, already having 3 kids, so i can relate to you being dissapointed after working and study so hard!

but like the others befor me say: don't try to struggle by your self..your colleague-students go through the same, so stick together and try to change the situation! it's true, sometimes you just cannot make it on your own!

Profs get evaluations, so document EVERYTHING...including other students compalints, their names and phone numbers/email addresses.

To teach one way and then to exam in another is an OUTRAGE!

document this all in writting

Bring to the Chair of the Department

Demand a personal meeting with her first, and bring someone from class with you