New fan: Where Do I Start?

Floridita727

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I´d buy the 1st album first. I´d explore it very much before buying their 2nd album and so on. It would probably take me more 2 years to cover the 13 albums. I’d definitively listen to one at a time.

The greatest hits that PLO73 mentioned are amazing and a must to listen to.

Highly recommend both Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. The Unforgettable Fire would be a great one too. No matter what the reviewers say, you must try Pop, that was the final U2 studio album to complete my collection before I bought No Line on the Horizon the day it came out, and while there are some of their worst songs, there are some excellent ones.

I myself first heard Vertigo and bought How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb and was hooked instantly and had to do the same thing you're doing now, buy all their albums. Though it took about a year for me to do it.

Some advice, look on ebay for some cheap albums. I got both the Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire on eBay (not at the same time) and it cost me about $11 AUS each.

• Subscriber

Hi, Floridita and welcome to the U2 world, it's a crazy world most of the time, but I hope you enjoy it here with us and, of course, the band.

I'm feeling highly envious of you, discovering U2 music for the first time, wow, wonderful, you're about to live an intense period. Some people have recommended you their personal favourites, so I'm not going to tell you the same, if I were you I'll follow my insticts and start listening to those albums where the songs that have got your attention in the first place belong, I wouldn't move too fast just to enjoy the discovery of every new album and if you have time it could be a great idea to read some of the books that are written about the band, Into The Heart, by Niall Stokes aims to tell the stories behind the songs, if you read it only after you listen a new song I think you'll find it really helpful as it gives you a background to understand the song, but if you decide not to you'll be able to interpret them on your own way, which is also exciting.

Some of the albums have been remastered during the last 2 years: Boy, October, War and The Joshua Tree, buying the remasters you will get more music from the period, but if I were you, I would only listen to the original album at first, just to get the taste of what it was when it was first released.

Anyway, whatever you do, do it to enjoy the music and not to cope with the other fans. This is a journey of discovery, good luck!

Hi everyone :)

So as the title says I'm a newly converted fan. 

I 've been a causual listener for years but I won tix to their show for last Fri. (Tampa)

and I'm hooked now.  

But now I have 30 years worth of music to sort through & thats daunting.

I already have their Greatest Hits from 1980-1990 & 3 songs from NLOTH.

Some of my faves are : Sunday Bloody Sunday, All I Want Is You, Breathe, With Or With Out You

Normally I'd just buy all the albums the artist has out but its alot in this case.

What other albums are must haves?

Thanks.

Joshua Tree is a must have. Achtung Baby and Boy are my other faves. Also look for Under a blood red sky dvd and slane castle dvd. They are awesome!!!

The very first thing is to become a member of U2.com, be faithful to yourself and your love for them, then, let yourself be driven to Zootopia, you'll feel a certain desire for more of what you feel, then,  you must be a member and pay yearly,  you shall enjoy all the love from all the fans and all zootopian ones who simply adore Bono and U2. You also get pre access codes for the concerts, and then, you shall be blown away by the genius that is, "Bono" Adam, Edge and Larry, the drum king.  Welcome, newby one, just let yourself go, here is wishing you happiness, peace, joy and a happy awakening.

Yours truly, your zootopian friend who is always present,

Realm

• Subscriber

I'm with Mac on this -- start with Boy and work your way through. Boy, October, War and Unforgettable have all been remastered over the last couple of years and are widely avaible as CDs. Also, see if you can get your hands on copies of the following books - Unforgettable Fire and U2 At the End of the World.

I grinned when I read your post b/c I've been right where you are. My hubby was the U2 die-hard, and me a slightly more than casual listener until he took me to my first show in 2001.... I literally went out the next day and bought every CD that had gone missing from hubby's collection over the years (we had only R&H and ATYCLB at the time). Also found a copy of Unfortgettable Fire and read it cover to cover in a day in a day and half.

Have a blast getting "caught up!"

So, how did it work? :D
It worked, and I love them...but I needed more, so I progressed into reading books about them.

My fav right now is "BONO" which is all based upon multiple interviews....

I'm now into checking out vintage videos of them too, on youtube...which I highly recommend for any new fan!wink.gif