U2 now see the reality that NO LINE is a failure.

MacFoley

• Subscriber

U2 Disappointed by 'No Line' Only Going Platinum Once

Spinner,October 23, 2009

By: Michael D. Ayers

Anyband these days would love to sell a million records, but for U2, thathigh number is not enough. The multi-platinum rockers told theAssociated Press that they're displeased with the sales of their latestalbum, 'No Line on the Horizon.' Recent U2 albums have been selling inthe three to four million range, while 'No Line' has only broken themillion mark. Bono and company see factors such as the lack of a hitsong and the fickle public's need for a "diet of pop" are contributingto this so-called slump.

"We weren't really in that mindset,"Bono said about the lack of a commercial hit from 'No Line.' "We feltthat the album was a kind of an almost extinct species, and we shouldapproach it in totality and create a mood and a feeling, and abeginning, middle and an end. And I suppose we've made a work that is abit challenging."

"The commercial challenges have to beconfronted," bassist Adam Clayton said. "But I think, in a sense, themore interesting challenge is, 'What is rock 'n' roll in this changingworld?' Because, to some extent, the concept of the music fan -- theconcept of the person who buys music and listens to music for thepleasure of music itself -- is an outdated idea."

That said,this isn't the first time that U2 is failing their own highexpectations. Remember the group's 1997 album 'Pop'? Widely consideredthe group's worst album, that too failed to yield a mega-commercial hitthat they had achieved with 'The Joshua Tree' and 'Achtung Baby.' ThatBono says the new material is more challenging is indicative of thisfacet, but still, the band continues to try and reach new audienceswith a recent partnership with BlackBerry and an appearance on'Saturday Night Live.' So they're not giving up hope.

All ofthis said, U2 probably doesn't have much to worry about. They'recurrently enjoying record-setting numbers for their '360 Tour' and havean ace up their sleeve -- next week will mark the release of the deluxeversion of 1984's 'The Unforgettable Fire,' which featured a littlesong everyone might have heard of called 'Pride (In the Name of Love).'

U2 will broadcast the October 25 date on their 360 Tour from the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif. live on YouTube at 8:30PM PT.

© Spinner, 2009

U2 'album didn't pull off hits'

The Scotsman,October 23, 2009

By: Press Association

U2's Bono has said the band were disappointed about the lack of chart success for singles from their latest album.
No Line On The Horizon madeit to the top of the albums chart but single Get On Your Boots onlymanaged No 12, while subsequent single I'll Go Crazy If I Don't GoCrazy only reached No 32.

Bono said that while songs such asOne or Beautiful Day weren't massive or immediate hits, he wasdisappointed the band didn't quite "pull off the pop songs" with thenew work.

He added: "But we weren't really in that mindset andwe felt that the album was a kind of an almost extinct species, and weshould approach it in totality and create a mood and a feeling, and abeginning, middle and an end. And I suppose we've made a work that is abit challenging for people who have grown up on a diet of pop stars."

Copyright © Press Association Ltd. 2009, All Rights Reserved.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a failure in their eyes compared to the sales of the last 2 albums. you can say or make excuses of whatever ie illegal downloads, the leak, but i dont think the band will be happy with the result of the new album will they?

i on the other hand love it, im sure there are as many lovers of the album aswell as haters of it.

im just hoping they dont go back to record another "pop" album and forget about the ambient, late night SONGS OF ASCENT after reading this.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think a big problem is the general music audience the past couple of years. its now worse than its ever been and music seems to have taken a backseat to most anything these days. or at least decent music, unless you live in the UK or some other areas in Europe. not sure how other bands' album sales are going in this sense, in the US, i mean... i mean, like Muse, Killers, etc... the decent bands, i mean. seems if you put out raunchy shit like Spears, Lady Gaga, or whatever here in the US it gets higher ratings and sales than the good bands. pisses me off.

another thing is i think the latest album is too above some people's heads. i mean that in a very good way towards u2.

some people dont wanna actually listen to the album, listen to what its saying, or are too dense to grasp its message, or are simply stupid. hehe. sorry. i think this is one of the most honest, raw, and spiritual/religious album to date from them.

its beautiful. pure and beautiful. ashame some people dont get it or refuse to open up to it, they're really missing out.

oh well.

i dont like hearing the band getting down on themselves over the freekin sales. thats dumb. yeah, it sucks, but it isnt their fault. and this album is very far from NOT being creative. its up there with the greats, like Unforgettable Fire, Bomb, Achtung. Its just a different theme and fits with "right now"... and their growth as a band, individuals, and them spritually/religiously and inside.

fuck people. i honestly say.. fuck people.

yeah, i think having Magnificent or Crazy Tonight as the first single would have changed things immensely. i kinda thought this months ago. or even NLOTH. maybe even grabbing some more of a new audience, or an older audience that perhaps had strayed away in between or maybe more people who are just casual music or u2 fans taking ir more seriously... but whatever. either way. it isnt u2. u2 shouldnt blame themselves or think the album is bad or put themselves down. that album is a fucking masterpiece. i dont think it would have mattered if they put out another Pop, Achtung or anything at this point. some people, in the US, especially are too more interested in teen bands and wasteful pop shit. music everywhere seems to be taking a backseat and i find that sad. its just the state of the world nowadays.

and no, i dont think it has anything, or much at all to do with the leak or illegal downloads.

like i said.

u2 is too good. :D

• Subscriber

The singles havent done very well at all in the Uk , the promotion for the singles [first 2] was awful , magnificent didnt get a cd release , get on your boots didnt have a music video until the single was acutally out. Crazy Tonight had the Blackberry advert so you cannot say the same about that one

Single downloading people [98.6 % of single sales are downloads] are mainly young [below 16]  , people who download basically dont give a damn about U2. U2 havent got a young audience anymore and that has reflected on the singles.

U2 have a massive fanbase but they aint going to be downloading singles unless there an avid fan.

As far as No Line being a failure goes  that is untrue , it hasnt lived up to expectations is the better pharse to use.

Its the biggest selling album released this year by quite a distance. Its the 2nd biggest selling album of the year behind Lady Gaga who does have the massive singles being played 24/7 on the radio and tv.

U2 have never had the biggest selling album of the year and nloth will proably come in 2nd this year , which maybe u2's best ever performance on an end of year chart [tjt and ab werent the biggest seller in the years they came out]

It would be a failure if it wasnt near the top of the list and other artists where selling loads more.

Compare the albums sales to the market not past album sales, cd sales are dying very quickly not just for u2 for everyone

Lady Gaga The Fame 3.811.000
U2 No Line On The Horizon 3.463.000
Michael Jackson Thriller (25th Anniversary Reissue) *since july 2009 counted together at "Thriller" 3.156.000
Kings Of Leon Only By The Night 3.037.000
Michael Jackson Number Ones (since 2009) 2.962.000
Black Eyed Peas The E.N.D. 2.784.000
Eminem Relapse 2.783.000
Taylor Swift Fearless 2.755.500
Soundtrack Hannah Montana: The Movie 2.597.000
Beyoncé I Am... Sasha Fierce 2.584.000
Michael Jackson The Essential (since 2009) 2.433.500
Green Day 21st Century Breakdown 2.428.000
Soundtrack Twilight 2.194.000
Pink Funhouse 2.119.000
Michael Jackson King Of Pop 1.828.000
Nickelback Dark Horse 1.726.000
Michael Jackson Bad (since 2009) 1.628.500
Bruce Springsteen Working On A Dream 1.622.500
Lily Allen It's Not Me, It's You 1.584.000
Jason Mraz We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things. 1.469.000
Coldplay Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends 1.466.500
Michael Jackson Dangerous (since 2009) 1.383.500
Jay-Z Blueprint 3 1.372.000
Michael Jackson Off The Wall (since 2009) 1.370.000
Soundtrack Mamma Mia! 1.328.000
Seal Soul 1.275.500
Kelly Clarkson All I Ever Wanted 1.271.500
Britney Spears Circus 1.246.500
The Killers Day & Age 1.145.500
Katy Perry One Of The Boys 1.120.500
Depeche Mode Sounds Of The Universe 1.079.500
Duffy Rockferry 1.078.500
Akon Freedom 1.076.500
AC/DC Black Ice 1.069.500
Rascal Flatts Unstoppable 1.058.500
Whitney Houston I Look To You 1.048.000
The Fray The Fray 1.010.500

"No Line" as the album may be a financial failure but not more.

yeah. an albums 'sales' doesnt, by any means really reflect how good, how excellent, and brilliant an album may be. 
again, i say its due to the state of society right now. heh. sorry... i know, i sound like i have issues, but its true.

also, if you think about it, the album didnt have that much of a promotion, either. like the previous albums. it was kinda lay low. BUT.... again.... back to what i said.... theres now no more MTV or Vh1 to use as a vehicle for this because ALL THEY FUCKIN SHOW IS FUCKING REALITY AND SEX SHOWS ALL FUCKIN DAY LONG EXCEPT FOR A RANDOM 3 HOUR BLOCK OF FUCKIN POP SHIT AT 7-9AM.... BULLSHIT!

sorry.. its pissing me the hell off. 

The singles havent done very well at all in the Uk , the promotion for the singles [first 2] was awful , magnificent didnt get a cd release , get on your boots didnt have a music video until the single was acutally out. Crazy Tonight had the Blackberry advert so you cannot say the same about that one

Single downloading people [98.6 % of single sales are downloads] are mainly young [below 16]  , people who download basically dont give a damn about U2. U2 havent got a young audience anymore and that has reflected on the singles.

U2 have a massive fanbase but they aint going to be downloading singles unless there an avid fan.

As far as No Line being a failure goes  that is untrue , it hasnt lived up to expectations is the better pharse to use.

Its the biggest selling album released this year by quite a distance. Its the 2nd biggest selling album of the year behind Lady Gaga who does have the massive singles being played 24/7 on the radio and tv.

U2 have never had the biggest selling album of the year and nloth will proably come in 2nd this year , which maybe u2's best ever performance on an end of year chart [tjt and ab werent the biggest seller in the years they came out]

It would be a failure if it wasnt near the top of the list and other artists where selling loads more.

Compare the albums sales to the market not past album sales, cd sales are dying very quickly not just for u2 for everyone

Lady Gaga The Fame 3.811.000
U2 No Line On The Horizon 3.463.000
Michael Jackson Thriller (25th Anniversary Reissue) *since july 2009 counted together at "Thriller" 3.156.000
Kings Of Leon Only By The Night 3.037.000
Michael Jackson Number Ones (since 2009) 2.962.000
Black Eyed Peas The E.N.D. 2.784.000
Eminem Relapse 2.783.000
Taylor Swift Fearless 2.755.500
Soundtrack Hannah Montana: The Movie 2.597.000
Beyoncé I Am... Sasha Fierce 2.584.000
Michael Jackson The Essential (since 2009) 2.433.500
Green Day 21st Century Breakdown 2.428.000
Soundtrack Twilight 2.194.000
Pink Funhouse 2.119.000
Michael Jackson King Of Pop 1.828.000
Nickelback Dark Horse 1.726.000
Michael Jackson Bad (since 2009) 1.628.500
Bruce Springsteen Working On A Dream 1.622.500
Lily Allen It's Not Me, It's You 1.584.000
Jason Mraz We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things. 1.469.000
Coldplay Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends 1.466.500
Michael Jackson Dangerous (since 2009) 1.383.500
Jay-Z Blueprint 3 1.372.000
Michael Jackson Off The Wall (since 2009) 1.370.000
Soundtrack Mamma Mia! 1.328.000
Seal Soul 1.275.500
Kelly Clarkson All I Ever Wanted 1.271.500
Britney Spears Circus 1.246.500
The Killers Day & Age 1.145.500
Katy Perry One Of The Boys 1.120.500
Depeche Mode Sounds Of The Universe 1.079.500
Duffy Rockferry 1.078.500
Akon Freedom 1.076.500
AC/DC Black Ice 1.069.500
Rascal Flatts Unstoppable 1.058.500
Whitney Houston I Look To You 1.048.000
The Fray The Fray 1.010.500

LADY GAGA ABOVE U2!! AND EVEN MICHEAL JACKSON AND EVEN AFTER HIS DEATH!!!!!!!!! THERE YA GO! rest my case. 

yep, its happening to all artists.