U2 now see the reality that NO LINE is a failure.

MacFoley

[quote name='Bonohood wrote:

Panth']... The US media is only concerned with how celebrities look, and music looks like a dance choreography video in the US....

Are you sure it´s only the US?

I'm sure its not, obviously. I'm just going by an immediate surrounding.

IMO! No Line is not a failure at all, and I do agree, some people just do not get it. It's like a french film or an art film. Some people just do not get it.  And that's fine.  U2 want to do top 40 pop hits then use Rick, they want to make more fullfilling music that Average Joe U2 fan listener won't get, then work with Brian Eno.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber
This has very little to do with the "pop" music scene. I would venture to say most U2 fans are not as high on this album as past albums. I've listened to all the songs on NLOTH at least 50 times or more and they just don't match their great songs of the past or great albums of the past. NLOTH has some great spots and some songs that work but overall, I just don't think fans have embraced the songs in the way they've done past albums and key songs. There's just not as much rhythmic quality to the songs (relative to AB or JT or War or ...) and Bono's voice on the album is often strained. Some songs start out with potential then they are let down by lyrics or voice parts that don't and The music may be more complex, but complexity is not necessarily better or more appealing and compelling.

In fact, Medium, Rare & Remastered had a number of song releases that would top almost all the NLOTH songs.

But, let's take "One." That song has a decent rhythm to it. But what makes that song great are the depth of the lyrics and the meaning and power of those lyrics in reaching the hearts of millions. I know a ton of people who are not fans of U2 but love that song. There are some good lyrics here and there in NLOTH but not a lot and not an entire song.

It's not the music scene - it's the music! NLOTH is not bad. I think Pop was much worse and a digression from the group's strength. But, I also don't think NLOTH is anywhere near the top 5 nor do I think it will be viewed there historically by the majority of diehard fans.

Music, of course, is in the ear of the listener as beauty is in the beholder.

it's just an idea, but some albums in the past indeed popped the charts right away others didn't. i heard R&H wasn't received that well either in it's own time and still it was my  favourite back then..listened to it every day for months and still love it. 

i think their are great lyrics on this album as well, and sometimes the music is just stronger than the words... but that's true for a lot of other albums.

we always expect these meaningfull lyrics and then some still judge Bono for having too much of an opinion... and sometimes it's the feeling in the song that does it for most fans... and not for others.

but people are too quick to say U2 has lost it, so we're outta here... this happenend after other albums to; and than, maybe the next one will be one YOU love at first sight....embarassed.gif

The only song I listen to is Magnificent. I can't stand this album. I listened to it ONE TIME all the way through and cringed. I chalk it up to U2 can put out whatever they want, they are U2. They would sell out stadiums to the end of time without putting a new album out. *wahine ducks as she runs outta the room*

wow, wtf? what the hell's happened to you?

the US music scene... honestly... is disgusting now. filthy, disgusting, and lack of any substance except for a "few".. barely a few bands. its all shit. choreographed crap to make up for lack of talent as someone else just said on here... and/or the fact that that seems to be all that appeals to 'some' younger people anymore because its how they're 'conditioned' in this society.

panth is right about europe music. thats where all the rest of the real art is... daring musicians, etc.
and UK...
honestly... its always kinda been the europeans and UK'ers that have been at the forefront of the great works. 
maybe its the mindset or they really are from another planet! lol. (i mean that in a very very very very good way.)
i mean shit... in the 60s.. we had the kinks, pink floyd, beatles, strawberry alarm clock, the turtles, the byrds, etc etc etc etc etc bowie, etc etc etc...
the 80s.. oh god dont get me started.. most of the best shit from the 80s was from the UK/Europe... not just some pop crap, i mean real awesome fucking groundbreaking art here. a different mindset altogether.  
U2!! NEW ORDER!! joy division, SIMPLE MINDS, depeche mode, the clash, kraftwerk, a-ha, the eurythmics,  the smiths, siouxsie, XTC, bauhaus, etc.
even the 90s... saint etienne, U2!!!!, radiohead... 
2000's ... THE KILLERS, MUSE, KEANE... U2!!!!!

now music is dying. 

there really is nothing left in terms of american music, lol

maybe you can bitch at me and say im now musically racist against US music. LOL

im a music snob.. goddamn. 

i mean

• Subscriber

The US is not the epicenter of music or music culture. The US media is only concerned with how celebrities look, an;d music looks like a dance choreography video in the US.

If you want real pop you have to go to Europe.

if you want figures, you really have to look to the US as they are the world, they are the people, they are the ones to make a better day..................roll.gif

yes yet again, lets blame the yanks for the poor sales!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!laugh.gif

• Subscriber

seriously though i hope u2 dont put the ambient album songs of ascent on hold because of week album sales for no line. if they approach rubin again and make a album of window in the skies, will they be totally happy about it? because when ive seen u2 talk about SOA they do seem quite excited about it and eno said he was dissapointed u2 left off the most diverse songs off the horizon album.

bugger sales u2. id rather them be creative still. there will always be a time to release that mega selling album. who knows SOA could be a big one!

• Subscriber

i still think an artist should be able to just ride on his feelings and not worry if their creation will sell, but that's rather difficult with so many people breathing down your neck and depending on good sale-figures?frown.gif

didn't bono say in the BBC interview he could see people jumpin' of f buildings if an album 'failed' or something like that?

there or jobs involved ... paycheques...: the downside of beeing the worlds greatest rockband? i understand people being nostalgic about the early U2... 

• Subscriber

babs, in this day and age i personally think the mega selling album is something of the 60's (beatles, rolling stones) 70's (led zepp and pink floyd) 80's (u2 bon jovi) 90's (alanis pearl jam) are something of the past. since the day of free downloading begun, the future of cd sales were in danger. then bands started releasing albums with locks on the cd's so you couldnt rip the cd onto your hardrives. but people figured out how to rip them still and upload them on torrent sites.

apart from u2 selling multi million selling albums this decade (behind and bomb) which i consider to be not the greatest u2 albums from their back cat, from 2005 onwards who have been the biggest sellers these days? kings of leon? the killers? coldplay?

• Subscriber

so it's hard for performers nowadays... how can you tell if your work is a succes or a failure? if the sales-numbers don't say it, what does?

people atending your concerts? a lot of fans here don't seem to like NLOTH but they go to gigs anyway : for old times sake? to hear the 'real' (as is early)stuff? so this is no sign of appreciation for latest work...

the support by the media, radiostations? or is this only a question of good merchandising...?

HOW can you tell your albuw/singles or a succes then? and what about quality? miss Gaga selling more albums so her music is appreciated more/of a higher quality, that's not it either!

or maybe only time can tell, is it about the music still being played in -ty years?

or maybe i should leave these thinking to the smarter people and just enjoy my #1 band..tongue.gif