"Amazing Grace":

cmarie

Would someone please tell Bono that "Amazing Grace" was written some 260-odd years ago by a British slave trader who was calling himself a wretch for his line of work?  He was trying, at the time, to appease his own guilt.  Read your history!! Find another song. The slave trader was a minister, no less!

You should read a little more about the HYMN Amazing Grace, before you make a statement about it.  

And I don't think Bono needs to be told to find another song.  I am sure, as the brilliant and well-learned person that he is, is very aware of the meaing of the song, and is using it as a prayer.   Just FYI.wink.gif

• Subscriber

why hit on bono for singing this song? as many black people have sung it before him , i dont think they show approval to slavery either when singin it..

i saw the film Amazing grace,  correct me when i'm fals informed, but i thought it's a prayer by a man who felt remorse for all he had seen  and done on the slave-ships ...

• Subscriber
Would someone please tell Bono that "Amazing Grace" was written some 260-odd years ago by a British slave trader who was calling himself a wretch for his line of work?  He was trying, at the time, to appease his own guilt.  Read your history!! Find another song. The slave trader was a minister, no less!
Amazing Grace into Streets is a wonderful moment of worship in the show and I wouldn't want him to change it for ANYTHING!!!!

There is always that one person.....that one person who gets all mad and bothered over something they don't know the full facts about.