Hope the Rose Bowl isn't the tour DVD

Nickopa

Having viewed the concert at the Rose Bowl, I've been trying toconvince myself that I must've seen it wrong and that it couldn'treally have been as bad as I'd first thought.........but unfortunatelyI couldn't. To start with, it is difficult to see why this venue was chosen fora concert film. The stage looked great as usual but thestadiumseemed awful with people sloping so far away from the stage. This whenthe whole principle of the 360 stage is to try and make things moreintimate and getting the crowd involved. That's not a criticism of the size of the crowd but thedesign of the Rose Bowl - it's just not suited to concerts and isn't a great viewing stadium in general.

Theatmosphere seemed distinctly underwhelming with the crowd not into itmuch at all, the timings seemed off and the whole performance seemed forced. Was summed  up by Bono trying to get the crowd to sing on at the end of I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For and into Stand By Me. There seemed to be so much more energy in Vegas and this wasn't a patch on some of the Euro shows from what I can gather, especially Cardiff: 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it will be the DVD for this tour. Thank God there's such thing as post-production....which usually takes 6 months to a year. They'll probably get the direct audio feed from the console and mix it in, as well as review some of the camera angles....notice that the Claw wasn't shown as much, in the first half of the show? The audio heard on Youtube were most likely ambient mics.

• Subscriber

My feeling is that the crowd wasn't too noisy and also they didn't interact with the band as much as Bono wanted. Regarding the sound and image quality, it's sure thing that all camera's filmed the show, so in post-production they will select the proper angle and the right images. It was filmed live, so that kind of mistakes do happen, I've also noticed once or twice that Bono's face was eclipsed by some camera crane or by some guy filming on stage, but in the end those parts will be cut off. To me it seems like Bono's voice wasn't as good as it was during other 360 concerts, so that will be o problem for the forthcoming DVD......... 

I can agree with you! I' ve also said that concert in Zagreb was muuuch better, that concert was explosion of the energy. I wanted to buy my ticket for their next show in Vienna on 30.8. 2010. but I am not sure any more. I think that this tour became boring to Bono. He was not playing with a soul, With or without you was without those refren We'll shine like a stars in a summer night, we'll shine like a stars in a real life, one hearth, one hearth, one love....

Also, he did not pick any fans from audience to stage. Very weird cause he is doing that all the time. He did not combine "walk On" and "Streets" which is best combination. I was waiting to see "I'll go crazy..." but it was not explosion of energy as usually. I think they are very tired of this tour. Maybe I'm wrong, but this is my felling about it. I'm their greatest fan and I'm always objective about everything.

Actually, it will be the DVD for this tour. Thank God there's such thing as post-production....which usually takes 6 months to a year. They'll probably get the direct audio feed from the console and mix it in, as well as review some of the camera angles....notice that the Claw wasn't shown as much, in the first half of the show? The audio heard on Youtube were most likely ambient mics.
Can I ask you something? I knew it must be ambient mics, but what about the live direction? I think the director made a bit too many mistakes, and not because he wasn't focusing on the crowd or on the Claw... At the beginning it seemed just not to have the right rhythm. And then from Unknown Caller everything seemed to go better... Did they fire him? tongue.gif

@Antonija: they were all under massive pressure in the beginning, during Mysterious Ways Bono was even flat in the first verse (I wonder how they will fix it btw)... I don't think they got bored, I just think it's the end of a tiring tour, we Europeans had the chance to see a simpler show but with a fully-loaded band. The direction is also to blame, they didn't give the idea of the show visuals at all. And as he always brought someone to the stage in America, maybe they didn't do it for legal reasons.
I'm just afraid of what will happen in 2010, since they are coming to Europe only AFTER the US tour eyes.gif

PS: if you have time try to see the concert again. I did and I had a much better opinion of the performance after. 

• Subscriber

I agree with Xalira : I don't think that they got bored with the tour at all. I also think it has to do with the end of this leg coming close and that they're up to a well deserved break. I also think that the audience, as said before, wasn't in to it as much as Bono would have liked them to be ! I was at Amsterdam 2 in july and to me it seemed that the audience at that time was more "explosive" than at RB. But I probably feel like that because I was part of that audience !

Concering the editing at the live stream, hey ... that's what happens when you go live ! I'm sure that all those "beauty-mistakes" will be re-done and corrected with other angles for the DVD. It didn't bother me at all, I'm just very happy to be able to watch a full concert instead of all those little bits on youtube !

• Subscriber

I was at the Rose Bowl concert in the assigned seats, and I can honestly say the problems were not with the band or the lack of energy in the crowd, it was the venue. I'm a 5'7", average size woman, and I barely fit into to the seat. My knees were touching the seat in from of me and I had two big guys on each side of me who were squished like sardines in a can. When we stood we barely had room to move and dance, which was disappointing.

The other buzz kill was people leaving early because they were concerned about what did amount to a huge jam of cars and people leaving the Rose Bowl.

So if the concert didn't seem like one of U2's best, it's because of the venue and nothing else. Please guys, go back to playing arenas!!!

• Subscriber

@Antonija if you can, go to a concert next year, because the atmosphere inside the stadium and among the crowd it's completely different comparing to the feeling you get watching the show on DVD or in front of your PC. You said you wanted to buy ticket to Vienna concert in 2010 but how is that possible since it's already sold out? I want to go to Athens, hope to catch tickets during next week's public sale!

@ Xalira - I don't think U2 will be tired next year when they will return to Europe, "al contrario" the boys will be in maximum form and maybe they will improve the show with new ideas and fresh songs....

And I do hope they will film another DVD this time from an European concert because here on the old Continent people really enjoy U2's performance and do connect better with the band. U2 already did enough DVD's in USA, let's give them a break!

Anyway I will buy the Rose Bowl DVD, after all it wasn't such a bad concert after all.......

Only just got round to viewing the concert and unfortunately I have to agree with many of the previous comments. The comments about the Rose Bowl are very relevant - that place was not built for comfort! Was surprised when they announced they were playing there and even more surprised when they said the DVD was going to be filmed there. It's not a particularly great viewing venue for games so I'd imagine it is worse for concerts as the stands just slope flatly right away from the pitch. I found it a bit strange at the start of the show actually, as if the guys were hanging around before strolling out for a couple hours practice!

On the other hand, I don't agree that because it was towards the end of the US tour that it may have caused any performance issues through being tired, especially if they intended to film it. I've been lucky enough to have been to gigs in the US and Europe, and as one of the posters suggested the best of the ones I saw was the very last Euro show in Cardiff. In fact, after seeing numerous shows over the years I can say that is without doubt the best ever I've attended. And they only just made the gig after flying back from a special trip dashing back to Ireland the previous day for a big knees up for Andrea Corr's wedding, with Bono having a stinking hangover and not having been to bed! But the atmosphere was so incredible it lifted the band above any of the other shows I saw. And a big part of that was down to the incredible stadium.

So I don't think it is necessarily the case that in crowds of that magntitude there will be indifferent crowd sections and that arenas are automatically better, as somewhere like Cardiff also had a huge capacity (nearly 80,000) but they were all right over the pitch. Anyway, I'm sure it's just the pessimist in everyone coming out now and by the time the DVD arrives it'll look the business