How many of you have left a show during MOS?

MacFoley

• Subscriber

when i was at cardiff i saw quite a few people leave during the start of moment of surrender. obvious to beat the traffic and ques out, or maybe they think the song is a stinker????

how many of you zootops left here during MOS in similar situations?

(i didnt by the way)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

i stood there in the Arena in A'dam, all night singing along with all the songs old and new, and being just happy for being at a U2-concert (my first!!)

and at the end i was  praying inside for them to play my favourite and i almost gave up hoping.... but then they played the first notes and i turned to my Love and we both smiled : there it was at last, our favourite, our Moment of surrender!! there couldn't have been a more beautiful ending of this magnificent experience!!

(and i had already been spoiled, cause they also played In a little while; such a sweet song... i've always had a special feeling for..)

Well I would never leave a U2 show until the last sound has played, but as for MOS itself I have to take issue with this song. Before the album came out I'd heard great things about it and that they'd recorded it in one single take or whatever, but for me it was the one real low point on the album - and a big long one at that!! My initial reaction when I heard it was "Am I missing something here?!?!!?". But having listened to it on the album and live so many times now I just can't see what the 'big thing' about it is.

Whatever you say about lyrics, if there's a good tune underpinning them then it will carry the track but there's no 'music' with MOS. And unfortunately for the album it comes in the prize track 3 slot. With the length that it is then it should've been in the same slot on the album as it is for the live show so if people want to give it a miss they can - it's their prerogative. I was at Cardiff and it was an awesome show but I found myself waiting for MOS to finish rather than wishing it wouldn't stop.

It's not the song - some people just bail early because playing "beat the traffic" is so important to them.

Ever since U2 went "mega" all those years ago, there've always been people going to U2 shows who aren't fans enough to stay until the very last note is played.  They've just kind of come along to see what all the fuss is about.  At the Vegas show, I did see a few people leave--from right down front, center stage!--during the first encore, so they weren't trying to get away from "Moment of Surrender." 

When I think of all the hassles and expenses involved with a major concert--tickets! transit! food! waiting 'n' standing until your arches fall!--I wonder why anyone would leave early, even if they're not die-hard fans.   Never mind the fact that we now have to wait years between tours! But then, I'm a cheap bitch, and I believe in getting my money's worth.  tongue.gif  I'll stay to watch the crew tear down the stage, if I want (or until the security squad chases us all out of the arena).

Of course, I don't own a car, so the idea of leaving an expensive event just for the sake of saving a few minutes on the road isn't even an option.    

Oh, and I like "Moment of Surrender" just fine, thanks.

-- eaplatt

• Subscriber

Anyone who leaves a U2 show early so they can "beat the traffic" is NOT a true fan. Sorry, but that's the truth. I especially don't get people in GA who would do that. Let me get this straight... you're going to line up all day and stand through the 4 hours of show (including opening act) in order to up close...but you're going to cut out early to beat the traffic? Unless of course, we're talking people who only buy GA because they are cheap, and come late and don't care if they're at the back - I suppose that would make a little sense - maybe. But these people don't strike me as true fans either. What a joke. I understand people doing that during the last period of a one-sided hockey game, or the last half-inning of a blowout ball game - but during a U2 show? Nuts! (And by the way, I always get a kick out of those hockey games when people leave early b/c the home team is losing....and discover when they've reach their car that the game is now tied! And oh, wait.... the home team wins in a shoot out! ) Love it! 

• Subscriber

I have done this once....... this tour with MOS and it was not as much to beat the traffic but because I still had a 3 + hours journey to drive back home and indeed did not want to get stuck in traffic....

I had to be at work the next day so hotel was no option... does that make me less of a fan??? ;-) I know the answer to that myself the best .....