The end of U2 just around the corner? or IS ROCK DEAD?

MacFoley

• Subscriber

with all the stories concerning the album and the lastest quotes from band members saying how dissapointing the weak album sales have been, now bono is coming out with ROCK AND ROLL IS DEAD, could the last of the rock stars be calling it a day after the next two 360 legs next year?

lets clear some things up first......................

people will say LIVE NATION. ok here is the deal with them..............

"During the album sessions, on 31 March 2008, it was confirmed that U2 signed a 12 year deal with Live Nation worth an estimated $100 million (£50 million),[115] which includes Live Nation controlling the band's merchandise, sponsoring, and their official website." nothing about touring for 12 years, its more the buisness side.

and then we have the poor album sales..................

Rock 'N' Roll Might Be Over, Says...U2?

Posted Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:01pm PDT by Justin Mathews in Musictoob

musictoob-906754751-1256585129_thumb.jpg?ympu4GCD7ISRr5lIIt seems inconceivable to many to suggest rock music is going the way of the dodo--but it's even tougher to hear it from U2.

Bono is disappointed in their latest album's sales, lamenting that No Line On The Horizon"didn't pull off the pop songs." However, he also places some of theblame on a marketplace that holds little promise for the dinosaur-likealbum format.

"We weren't really in that mindset and we felt thatthe album was a kind of an almost extinct species, and we shouldapproach it in totality and create a mood and a feeling, and abeginning, middle, and an end," Bono told Spinnermusic.co.uk.

"And I suppose we've made a work that is a bit challenging for people who have grown up on a diet of pop stars."

Adam Clayton, U2's bassist, argued that traditional music fans don't exist anymore.

"Whatis rock 'n 'roll in this changing world? Because, to some extent, theconcept of the music fan--the concept of the person who buys music andlistens to music for the pleasure of music itself--is an outdatedidea," Clayton told the AP.

Clayton sees rock turning intoancient history. He said older music like jazz "was for people who tooklife a certain way, but it wasn't part of the modern world for me. Iworry that the world of rock 'n' roll that I grew up in is destined toend up that way." 

Such sentiment makes sense in a time when MTVhardly plays music at all and hip-hop, not rock, is the choice musicfor teenage rebellion. But is U2 doomed to obsolescence?

DrummerLarry Mullen Jr. said: "The biggest danger for a band like U2 isaccepting that you've reached a certain age, and, therefore you canjust actually sit back. That's not what we signed up to do. We want tomake relevant, great music."

There's an as-yet-unheard new U2 record, Songs Of Ascent, coming in 2010. So, is U2 going to go neon? Is Bono going to rap? Let's hope not...

and remember 2000, bono says 2 CRAP ALBUMS ARE WE A OUT OF HERE? well poor sales for POP and now NO LINE, what does that tell us?

and here in the uk the rock bands still have bright futures. where u2 were once the influence, they are now lagging behind on the album front. bands like artic monkeys, kasabian, muse, KOL and the killers still have plenty to say.

i for one hope u2 continue to make the music they love, but what are these 40 year old men thinking? are they slowly turning into the next live "rolling stones"????

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Rock and Roll will never die!! I heard that in a song! U2 is not like any other band. They will always bring fresh and new things to the Rock table. Age won't matter to them. They are special that way!

im sure the rolling stones said that 20 years ago....................smokin.gif

Mac we've had this conversation many times mate and i stand by what i say that this tour will be THE LAST tour that u2 do they may have one more album in them but i really do think that this is the end of the road for u2 maybe the whole songs of ascent thing is being looked at and they may just scrub it all and start again but i do firmly believe that the 360 tour is the last tour which is why it's lasting as long as it is.

There is no end for rock, it's eternal, and U2 will live forever. :) No need for panic. Guys told what they told...But, I must react on one statement. Helooo, people still buy albums and listen to music for the puuuuuuuuuure pleasure of music itself. Ok Mr. Adam? You are obviously closed in your world too long and got disconnected from reality.

The only one standing on the ground is Larry. Hello, U2, just continue to "make relevant, great, music", don't philosophise too much. :D

• Subscriber
Mac we've had this conversation many times mate and i stand by what i say that this tour will be THE LAST tour that u2 do they may have one more album in them but i really do think that this is the end of the road for u2 maybe the whole songs of ascent thing is being looked at and they may just scrub it all and start again but i do firmly believe that the 360 tour is the last tour which is why it's lasting as long as it is.

I don't know Bash. Do you think the 360 tour is lasting any longer than previous tours?  The Vertigo Tour seemed longer or just as long even with taking into consideration the hiatus they took which postponed the Hawaii/Australia dates last tour.

I thought the 12 year LiveNation deal they made mandated at least one more tour from them.

• Subscriber

I don't know Bash. Do you think the 360 tour is lasting any longer than previous tours?  The Vertigo Tour seemed longer or just as long even with taking into consideration the hiatus they took which postponed the Hawaii/Australia dates last tour.

I thought the 12 year LiveNation deal they made mandated at least one more tour from them.

• Subscriber

[quote name='ceallach67 wrote:

basher1']Mac we've had this conversation many times mate and i stand by what i say that this tour will be THE LAST tour that u2 do they may have one more album in them but i really do think that this is the end of the road for u2 maybe the whole songs of ascent thing is being looked at and they may just scrub it all and start again but i do firmly believe that the 360 tour is the last tour which is why it's lasting as long as it is.

It was confirmed that U2 signed a 12 year deal with Live Nation worth an estimated $100 million (£50 million),[115] which includes Live Nation controlling the band's merchandise, sponsoring, and their official website.

nothing there about touring. it means that livenation takes care of u2's buisness until the 12 years is up. and the reason why the vertigo tour took longer than it did was because of edge's daughter being ill.