Need your opinion - My university application...

• Subscriber

Hey,

I'm currently doing my application to apply to the Royal Veterinary College to train as a veterinary nurse. Although I know all uni's are hard to get into, I think this is especially difficult as it is one of the top universities for vets in the country.

Below is my personal statement that I will soon be submitting. I just wondered if you folks could give me some feedback. Maybe what to take out, or what to add. If it is utter shit? lol. Here it is.....

Although I was a little older in age before I realised my true ambition in life; I have learnt over the past few years how exciting and rewarding working with animals can be. In March 2006 I went to Australia and experienced an awakening to make me realise that working with animals is everything I wanted to do. I went to some of the best zoos in the country and whilst I was there I was able to get up close to some amazing animals e.g. feeding hippos and watching lions feeding from a syringe full of milk.

On returning to the UK I immediately started searching for a place to study animals further. Being accepted at Writtle college allowed me to achieve a DDD in my National Diploma and was able to experience things I thought weren't possible. E.g. Assisting with the birth of lambs during the lambing season. Unfortunately I did have to assist with the birth of a still born. But as maturity has shown me, working with animals isn't just about life, but also death. I feel experiencing this has allowed me to understand the professional nature needed and the maturity levels needed to work within a veterinary establishment as it isn't always good news that you have to deliver.

Whilst at college I have also assisted with the disbudding of calves and injecting piglets with their first iron shots. During my anatomy lectures I was fortunate enough to dissect a range of species including a chicken, a python and a frog. I enjoyed this immensely and gave me a great insight to the anatomy of different species as well as the anatomy of different animal groups as it showed vast differences from mammals to reptiles for example. Pathology is of high interest to me as this assists with the development of future medicine. Being able to understand what makes us and what breaks us is the way forward within the world as veterinary science is forever changing.

Within the course I was also able to learn the basic understanding of veterinary nursing and wound management. Being taught different aspects of basic first aid gave me an even better insight into the world of veterinary medicine.

From succeeding with straight distinctions on the National Diploma I was awarded a scholarship based on my achievements to undertake a Foundation Degree in the same subject. Unfortunately my course was cancelled half way through so I am waiting to hear what certificate I will be awarded for achieving a 2:2 in the first year.

I've also volunteered at a cat sanctuary for wild cats called the Cat Survival Trust based in Welwyn, Hertfordshire. Here I worked with pumas, jaguars, snow leopards and caracal lynx amongst other things. My daily tasks were to include basic husbandry needs i.e. feeding and cleaning out of cages. I also assisted with enrichment and re-design for some enclosures. I enjoyed this so much and got great fulfilment out of this. I have also worked at a kennels for 3 months from August 2008-October 2008 where I worked with dogs and cats, again fulfilling their husbandry needs whilst they were in my care. I got great enjoyment out of this and learnt many things whilst there e.g. the importance of hygiene levels and the different dietary needs of each individual animal and any medical requirements.

I am due to complete a 2 week placement at Berry House Vets in hitchin in the last 2 week of January where I hope to gain crucial experience to show me the day to day role of a veterinary nurse.

• Subscriber

My life has been spent working with zoo animals and wildlife rehab, specializing in birds of prey. Now  I manage a veterinary hospital for mostly cats/dogs/some exotics.  I live in the US.  You have a  good academic background and "hands-on" experiences.   You are aware that the outcome of your hard work isn't always what you wanted and that death is a big part of the job.   I'm glad you didn't say " I just love animals!"  That should be a given, and the statement often reveals naivety.  Remember that when working with animals you must also be able to interact with humans with the same compassion and patience that you have for non-human animals.  This holds true whether you do veterinary work, research,  wildlife rehab, zoo work--there is always a person you have to deal with.  If you were an American, I might say to try to write more like Hemingway.  How much can you say with the fewest words--I almost always fail at this!  LOL!!!  Since you are in the UK (yes?),  I'd have someone from there who is in the veterinary field look your letter over.  On a personal note to you from me, don't forget to keep your life in balance.  Find other things to do and be.  You're gonna be great!!!  love and peace, Krista  smile.gif

If you want Emma, I can pass your email addie onto a friend of my daughters. She is studying to  be a vet down in London, and also another friend of hers is doing equine sciences over in Preston.

If so, then send me you email and i will pass it on to my daughter who will pass it on to her friends.

[quote name=smokin.gifliz]If you want Emma, I can pass your email addie onto a friend of my daughters. She is studying to  be a vet down in London, and also another friend of hers is doing equine sciences over in Preston.

If so, then send me you email and i will pass it on to my daughter who will pass it on to her friends.

I'm Liverpool Liz....take no notice of the pic, my profile is still fucked 

• Subscriber

Hi, thanks for your input.

Krista, I do forget sometimes that it also involves human interaction. Will maybe try and add abit about that into the statement.

And liz i would be grateful for any help.. my email is emma_king1987@hotmail.com :-)

• Subscriber

Emma

I think that it has some great points! It is a hard statement to write - I did veterinary in Dublin and remember the stress over what to put in and how to make it stand out from every one elses! Feel free to PM me if you want some ideas!

Sharon