New U2 Album

JkJoshuaTree

Nov 2008 Q+A with Clayton from Mojo::

Q:It sounds like you've got a lot of material. Could you release another album quite soon?

A: Well we could, and it's part of our plan to not leave it too long. Once the tour is up and running there would be no reason why we couldn't find a week and go into the studio and work on things. It sort of depends on Bono and Edge's commitments; they've got a Spiderman project in the works too (laughs).

Q:So, Spiderman permitting, you could be working on the new album during the next tour?

A:t would be nice to continue working in the same way. Instead of doing this record in one solid bloc, we sort of did two-week sessions with Brian and Dan, as writing collaborators, and out of those sessions came a lot of really good raw material. But it wasn't until April of last year that we went into the studio and said, Look, no one gets out of here until it's finished.

The breaks meant we could come back to things. And, I think that helped everyone. I think it worked really well for Edge from a compositional point of view; he really got to look at how the album hung together and to see what was missing musically. I think it enabled Bono to complete and fully resolve some of the lyrics.

Originally we were looking at a deadline of last August but I think by taking a break instead of trying to push through we were able to come back to it and to pull in some new material. For instance, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight came out of that period and Every Breaking Wave came out of that period, even though the last one didn't get onto the album. It just made for a really good record and I think, from Larry's and my own point of view, it gave us a chance to live with the material and to really have an influence on how it was finished.

So I think the breaks stopped us getting snow-blindness. I also think there was a fundamental shift in the band, in that the material became much more internalised. It wasn't striving to reach out to connect to people; it became much more about inviting people to come in and be part of the experience.

• Subscriber

Read this from @U2.com . . .

Bono, Edge songwriting in France

Posted: November 13, 2009

By: Matt McGee

According to the new issue of Rolling Stone (the one with Bono, Mick, and Bruce on the cover), Bono & Edge went to France for a "two-week songwriting session" after the band's free Berlin Wall/MTV EMA gig last week. That's just one of several bits of U2 goodness in the magazine, all of which staffer Cara recaps on her Scatter O'Light blog today. Other bits:

â– the band is still debating what to do about Songs of Ascent and Bono wants "to put out an album quickly" (go Bono!)

â– Adam says the band considered playing all of No Line On The Horizon in sequence for YouTube (was he joking?!?)

â– Edge says the 2010 tour will have "new things to show"

I posted that link a week ago.

Yeah, they'd like to release an album soon. It could be out before the tour, and it could be out next year sometime. Just be patient. Go listen to something else for a while.

Yeah they considered No Line played live over youtube in its entirety, would've been cool.

They always say the tour will have new things to show.

• Subscriber
I posted that link a week ago.

Yeah, they'd like to release an album soon. It could be out before the tour, and it could be out next year sometime. Just be patient. Go listen to something else for a while.

Yeah they considered No Line played live over youtube in its entirety, would've been cool.

They always say the tour will have new things to show.

Yes, your post is where I first read it, I think, but I don't think this poster saw it.