Live Nation - good or bad for the fans?

jnspellman

• Subscriber

Lots of fans in the UK and Ireland have been very disappointed and disgruntled about the news that U2 will not be back in 2010 - they had been saving presale codes and foresaking opportunities to buy for other European gigs.

Similarly if Ihad known the full itinerary before Paris I may well have waited andgone for NYC as a treat for my summer holiday - as it happened Pariscame up and it was 'do I stick or twist?' - I chose Paris bookedflights and hotels and then - as is my luck - New York happens but I have no presale code - tough luck you may say?

However, ifall the dates were put out there for the next leg in 2010 at the SAME time (like the good olddays before LiveNation got involved and pulled the strings) - maybe inthe new year sometime - then it would be fair to all.

Furthermore, why sell ticketsalmost 12 months before the concert date? My Answer - money.

Unfortunately,by releasing dates in 'bits and bobs' almost 12 months before the gig- it has left us all in a difficult situation but with the band's managementand 'Live Nation' imparticular  are making £10,000s a day off the interest been earnedfrom such early ticket sales for almost 12 months - at least they'rehappy!

I, like you, love the band and follow them as much as Ican and spend a great deal of money on them, but at my age I can alsobe level headed enough to know when we haven't been treated in anupfront and fair manner and that this is the impact a huge company likeLive Nation will have on a great band( brand to them) - ie. we sufferultimately with huge ticket prices, expensive hospitality packages and long term ticketing scheduling.

I genuinely feel without the intervention of Live Nation alot of the discontentment would not have happened and we would all be able to make easy informed choices about the gigs we attend, at prices that were reasonable for most.

• Subscriber

Thanks MacFoley for your prompt and almost accurate response - but to recap Reuters International news agency stated that Live Nation Inc said on Monday 31 march 2008 it had reached an agreement for a 12-year global contract to handle the merchandising, digital and branding rights AS WELL AS the TOURING of Irish group U2.

You don't think they pay $100 million to simply print and supply tshirts, do you?

• Subscriber

Thanks MacFoley for your prompt and almost accurate response - but to recap Reuters International news agency stated that Live Nation Inc said on Monday 31 march 2008 it had reached an agreement for a 12-year global contract to handle the merchandising, digital and branding rights AS WELL AS the TOURING of Irish group U2.

You don't think they pay $100 million to simply print and supply tshirts, do you?