U2 Review 2009

chriswba

• Subscriber

Get on your boots gets released to radio with a luke warm recepetion. I quite like the song but it is very much like Vertigo and will eventualy put the casual music buyer off buying NLOTH. Not the Re invented rock n roll that we were promised mr Lanois.

U2 make a come back on the Grammys/Brits and it is probaly their worst perfromances ive seen  for years.

First reviews come out for the album and they are good reviews. some reviews turn bad when the album comes out, probaly around 60/40 in favour.

The get on yoru boots video gets delayed and i dont think i ever actually saw it on mtv or anywhere

Get on your boots dosent do very well worldwide ,reaches number 12 in the UK their first lead single not to get to number 1 since 1987

Album gets leaked

U2 get huge promotion from the BBC[ which got a mention in the house of lords] in the uk playing a free gig in London , they also get loads of promotion in the USA. its is problay the most promoted album in their history

The album comes out and sells over 1 million copies worldwide in its first week , being the fastest seller of the year  in  most places at that time , goes to number 1 in 33 countries. The album does very well at first but has dropped off everywhere come november. NLOTH is the biggest selling album of the year selling 4 million but is still their worst selling album since 1982.I personaly think its their best album of the decade.

Magnificent flops big time everywhere reaches number 42 in the uk and theres no cd release for some reason , again no music video on mtv.Their worst performing single since the early years.

U2 360 Tour starts. U2 play underneath a massive claw in a stadium tour, They gross 311 million in 2009 and we are only two legs in. This will become the biggest tour of all time.

I go to Croke Park for the weekend of my life and go to the best gig ive been too[ u2 saturday croke park]

I also see them at wembley and cardiff which were also very good

Crazy Tonight again flops in the charts reaching on 32 in the uk. u2 also appear in blackberry advert featuring this song

The unforgettable fire remaster comes out

U2 win best live act at the emas and play free gig in berlin teaming up with Jay Z

U2 announce they will play glastonbury next year

At the end of the year u2 have grossed 311 million and sold 4 million records and will have the 3rd biggest selling album of the year and the 2nd biggest released this year[ black eyed peas will over take them for top spot]

I dont think ive forgotten anything, its been an eventful year , for me theve released their best album since pop [ i still listen to nloth every day] and ive seen the best gig of my life [u2 360 croke park]

Thank you u2

Very well said and I agree with most of it.

Though, I disagree with the Brit Award Live performance as I thought it was very decent.

I personally think No line is a good album, but to me, Behind and Bomb were better.

And well, I still don't understand why Magnificent did not sell that well. It has everything really.

Thanks for the recap, chris. Just wanted to point this out:

NLOTH is the biggest selling album of the year selling 4 million but is still their worst selling album since 1982.I personaly think its their best album of the decade.

The best selling album in 2009 is Lady Gaga's "The Fame", then comes No Line, and then MJ's "Thriller" (I can't find the link where I read it but I'm quite sure about this).

Yeah, 4 millions is not bad at all. Maybe a release on November 2008, as they wanted to do at the beginning, would have been better. HTDAAB and All that came out in that period.

• Subscriber

I remember Paul McGuinness saying once that the only time to release an album was in the fourth quarter (Oct., Nov., Dec.) if you want sales, so if that is true (I have no reason) to doubt him, then they blew that timeline. Also, the album leaking didn't help. Chriswba, you have quite a memory, thanks for the re-cap!

• Subscriber

yes but most of the review is set in the uk. if you look at the sales in the uk for no line, they are very poor. but at the same time they broke records at cardiff and wembley stadium. but still people didnt really make a difference to the sales at all.

also i dont think the album sold 1 million copies in its first week. wasnt it something like 484,000 copies?

• Subscriber

[quote name='xalira wrote:

Thanks for the recap, chris. Just wanted to point this out:

chriswba']NLOTH is the biggest selling album of the year selling 4 million but is still their worst selling album since 1982.I personaly think its their best album of the decade.

The best selling album in 2009 is Lady Gaga's "The Fame", then comes No Line, and then MJ's "Thriller" (I can't find the link where I read it but I'm quite sure about this).

Yeah, 4 millions is not bad at all. Maybe a release on November 2008, as they wanted to do at the beginning, would have been better. HTDAAB and All that came out in that period.NLOTH  is the biggest selling album released this year , i forgot to add released in. Lady Gaga has the top seller with U2 being 2nd , NLOTH has sold more then thriller this year.

• Subscriber
yes but most of the review is set in the uk. if you look at the sales in the uk for no line, they are very poor. but at the same time they broke records at cardiff and wembley stadium. but still people didnt really make a difference to the sales at all.

also i dont think the album sold 1 million copies in its first week. wasnt it something like 484,000 copies?

484,000 was in the states alone , i think the sales went over the million mark worldwide in the first week

Sales in the UK are abysmal they aint even going to finish in the top 20 of the year.

• Subscriber
Very well said and I agree with most of it.

Though, I disagree with the Brit Award Live performance as I thought it was very decent.

I personally think No line is a good album, but to me, Behind and Bomb were better.

And well, I still don't understand why Magnificent did not sell that well. It has everything really.

The brits were ok but the grammys were awful