U2 Review 2009

chriswba

• Subscriber

[quote name='chriswba wrote:

xalira wrote:

Thanks for the recap, chris. Just wanted to point this out:

chriswba']NLOTH is the biggest selling album of the year selling 4 million but is still their worst selling album since 1982.I personaly think its their best album of the decade.

The best selling album in 2009 is Lady Gaga's "The Fame", then comes No Line, and then MJ's "Thriller" (I can't find the link where I read it but I'm quite sure about this).

Yeah, 4 millions is not bad at all. Maybe a release on November 2008, as they wanted to do at the beginning, would have been better. HTDAAB and All that came out in that period.
NLOTH  is the biggest selling album released this year , i forgot to add released in. Lady Gaga has the top seller with U2 being 2nd , NLOTH has sold more then thriller this year.

thriller should count anyway, its an old album, and in terms of u2 battles with todays acts, in 2009 they are failing. only 4 years ago we were witnessing u2 on a commercial high with bomb filled with some good songs, whilst filled with average songs sold more copies? this i find bizarre. so the album was loved more by the public than actual real u2 fans, is that why it sold more? because i dont think its that great an album. 4 years before that, we witness u2's biggest selling album since achtung baby! all that you can't put u2 back on top. again, like bomb i dont get it either, some great songs on the album but mostly dull and grey. like the cover!

so people ask for u2 to change, and they do, and the album flops? you cant say their promotion was shit in the uk where they took over the bbc for a week. in all honesty i think get on your boots was the wrong first choice of single. while a great song for me, i like the programmed drums and fuzz, yeah its a good song! and live they have really transformed it into a true rocker. better than vertigo in terms of various parts and riffs, drums and percussion it should have been a big hit for them, but like discotheque, the public heard this and probably thought, fuck me u2 are going weird again....................

and then that spread to u2 have lost it.......................................

and u2 are shit now........................................

because the song is different. if the first single choice was magnificent u2 would be playing a totally different ball game here. instant remarks would be, u2 are back...............................

best single since pride....................................

and that would have led them onto better album sales. and boots remains a mid gem of a track and a future single release.

boots is the culprit here all along. boots is the cause of the problems for u2 in 2009.

boots is the culprit here all along. boots is the cause of the problems for u2 in 2009.

Poor Edge... :P

But you're right, even if I think that the reaction of the casual fan wasn't "they're going weird again" but "eww, that's Vertigo part 2, they have really lost it". I can't understand for example why they didn't say "eww, Elevation part 2" when Vertigo came out.

• Subscriber

nice summary! but it all depends which country your in, here in belgium i saw the video's for booths and magnificent frequently on the musicstations. and it was played on radio too (maybe not often enough, but thats just my opinion..)

• Subscriber

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

chriswba wrote:

xalira wrote:

Thanks for the recap, chris. Just wanted to point this out:

chriswba']NLOTH is the biggest selling album of the year selling 4 million but is still their worst selling album since 1982.I personaly think its their best album of the decade.

The best selling album in 2009 is Lady Gaga's "The Fame", then comes No Line, and then MJ's "Thriller" (I can't find the link where I read it but I'm quite sure about this).

Yeah, 4 millions is not bad at all. Maybe a release on November 2008, as they wanted to do at the beginning, would have been better. HTDAAB and All that came out in that period.
NLOTH  is the biggest selling album released this year , i forgot to add released in. Lady Gaga has the top seller with U2 being 2nd , NLOTH has sold more then thriller this year.

thriller should count anyway, its an old album, and in terms of u2 battles with todays acts, in 2009 they are failing. only 4 years ago we were witnessing u2 on a commercial high with bomb filled with some good songs, whilst filled with average songs sold more copies? this i find bizarre. so the album was loved more by the public than actual real u2 fans, is that why it sold more? because i dont think its that great an album. 4 years before that, we witness u2's biggest selling album since achtung baby! all that you can't put u2 back on top. again, like bomb i dont get it either, some great songs on the album but mostly dull and grey. like the cover!

so people ask for u2 to change, and they do, and the album flops? you cant say their promotion was shit in the uk where they took over the bbc for a week. in all honesty i think get on your boots was the wrong first choice of single. while a great song for me, i like the programmed drums and fuzz, yeah its a good song! and live they have really transformed it into a true rocker. better than vertigo in terms of various parts and riffs, drums and percussion it should have been a big hit for them, but like discotheque, the public heard this and probably thought, fuck me u2 are going weird again....................

and then that spread to u2 have lost it.......................................

and u2 are shit now........................................

because the song is different. if the first single choice was magnificent u2 would be playing a totally different ball game here. instant remarks would be, u2 are back...............................

best single since pride....................................

and that would have led them onto better album sales. and boots remains a mid gem of a track and a future single release.

I agree to a certain extent boots played a major part in people not getting NLOTH. I really dont think  Boots is a different sound though to me its too much like vertigo and i think u2 wanted it to catch on like vertigo did.

For me ATYCLB and HTDAAB are very similar albums bomb being abit more raw and rockier and atyclb being more stripped down and emontional. NLOTH is a different album too those two but i really dont think its that much different , we were promised a major change and i dont think we got it , Lanois said it was a big re invention but too me it wasnt , it was different but no where near a re invention

Couple of points I know NLOTH  hasnt lived up to expecations record sales wise but has there ever been a u2 album thats been the biggest album released in the year it came out? , even the joshua tree wasnt as high as NLOTH is on the end of year list.If you were to compare albums on end of year lists then NLOTH  is one of their highest achievers. If not their highest. Obviously it isnt but just a point.

U2 will finish the 3rd best seller of the year and it will be the 2nd biggest seller released this year. The Black Eyed Peas will over take U2 before the years out.

• Subscriber

[quote name='xalira wrote:

MacFoley']boots is the culprit here all along. boots is the cause of the problems for u2 in 2009.

Poor Edge... :P

But you're right, even if I think that the reaction of the casual fan wasn't "they're going weird again" but "eww, that's Vertigo part 2, they have really lost it". I can't understand for example why they didn't say "eww, Elevation part 2" when Vertigo came out.I agree with Boots being Vertigo pt.2