I'm overpaid, so shoot me, says U2 frontman Bono

Bonohood

Millionaire rock star Bono has dismissed those who say his preaching on poverty is hypocritical.

The U2 singer, who is among the highest earners in music history, said: 'I'm over-rewarded for what I do, so shoot me.'

But he did admit being a 'pain in the a***' on the subject of Third World poverty.

article-0-07697A27000005DC-192_468x367.jpg

Get on your boots: U2 frontman Bono and Chelsea star Didier Drogba launch the 'Lace Up, Save Lives' initiative yesterday

The star's comments came as he urged people to buy clothes andelectronics to help fund projects in Africa. On Monday he launched the'Lace Up. Save Lives' campaign - a partnership between Nike and the(RED) brand, co-founded by Bono.

Gap,Apple and Dell are among the others to sign up to the initiative, withmoney spent on certain products going to the campaign.

Bono said he wasn't asking people to put their hands in their own pockets, but the pockets of the big companies like Apple.

When asked if he thought the public were sympathetic to acampaign fronted by a multi-millionaire, he told the Daily Mail: 'Youcan still contribute even if you are not as fortunate as I am. 

article-0-076989C2000005DC-133_468x464.jpg

Shoe-in: The initiative has drawn support from the likes of Gap, Apple and Dell

'I've been blessed and I've been over-rewarded for what I do and I'mtrying to give my time and my resources but you know, I'm a rich rockstar, so shoot me.

'I'm having a great life and even though Ican be a pain in the a*** going on about all this stuff, the band feelstrongly about it too.'

Earlier this year, leading charitiesincluding Oxfam attacked the band for moving their business to theNetherlands where there is virtually no tax on royalties. It deprivedIreland of much-needed revenue and the government then cut its overseasaid budget.

U2's controversial move came in 2006 after theIrish government introduced a cap of €250,000 (£230,000) on tax-freeincomes for artists. It meant the band would have faced a multi-millionpound tax bill because of their huge album sales, tour receipts androyalties.

As a result, it is believed to have saved them around £15m.

article-0-071A146E000005DC-778_233x336.jpg

Overpaid: Bono admits he earns too much, saying 'I'm over-rewarded... so shoot me!'

In 2007, Christian Aid then referred to Bono in a report called Death and Taxes: The True Toll of Tax Dodging.

Butspeaking to the Daily Mail, the 49-year-old, real name Paul Hewson,said he did not mind criticism - from people 'doing their bit'.

'I think it's OK to criticise me as long as the ones who are doing so are doing their bit,' he said.

'Withthis campaign, I'm not asking people to put their hands in theirpockets. I'm asking them to put the hands in the pockets of thecompanies like Apple and I'm not sure people really get that.

'I'm surprised that people are interested in talking to me any more. They must just think, "God, he's back again".'

Bonoalso has a property portfolio that includes a villa in the South ofFrance, a lavish Italian-style palace overlooking the sea near Dublinand a £15million penthouse in New York City.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading all that, I think people should give him a break about 'how much money he's got' and 'what he earns'. He's a rockstar in the world's biggest band, of course he's making more than all of us, but he's spending his own time(a lot of it!) to raise awareness and create a better future for people. And that's what I love about him! :)

And he's spot on when he said that he doesn't mind criticism from people doing their bit, and people who aren't should basically shut up!(people like the press really need to leave him alone!!)

-anyways, lol, cool pics and reporting!! :)

• Subscriber

blah blah , everyone in the media should just shut up or put up. bono is doing his best. Oh i suppose because he is rich he should just sit on his ass all day and beat up women and do drugs! WTf is wrong with the world. we punish people for doing good!!!!!!!!! i cant stand it. The only one who should judge is GOD!!!!!!!

• Subscriber

How shall I put this without starting a fight?? This man has done more for PEACE in Ireland than he has ever been given credit for.. thats my opinion.... For a man that has had to give his finger and toe prints etc etc etc just in case he his family and any of the band come to harm??? From climbing way up on wires and amps and jumping off stages to feeding the poor etc and yet his own life and those around him under threat! Born an ordinary man that has done some EXTRAORDINARY things that will put many of us to shame.... It's estimated that 9 million quid will go to charity from the 360 tour... Thats not found on the u2 SITE BY THE WAY... This man has put a lot on the line for CHARITY.... He's been on the front line too in Africa.... He's an Ambassador of sorts........I remember how Bono said that he was getting used to the taste of the custard pies- cos people keep throwing them... BoNo turns the other cheek and keeps doing so... Oh yeah his Tax affairs etc?? READ the BLOGS... ANd if I could YOU know I would Dodge the tax myself  (legally)...... And I agree... this is his spare time... I don't think he's going to put in a docket to The Edge, Larry or Adam looking for the airfare to London... This man is a ROCK STAR... GET IT??... One of the ones that i would be proud to tell anyone younger than me about... Has he shown bad example to anyone??? On the contrary me thinks.... To anyone that thinks that BonO is doing this for street credit... well I think the answer you want is out there... he's getting the negative vibes from ye all the time....but get this .... HE's STILL RUNNING.............

How shall I put this without starting a fight?? This man has done more for PEACE in Ireland than he has ever been given credit for.. thats my opinion.... For a man that has had to give his finger and toe prints etc etc etc just in case he his family and any of the band come to harm??? From climbing way up on wires and amps and jumping off stages to feeding the poor etc and yet his own life and those around him under threat! Born an ordinary man that has done some EXTRAORDINARY things that will put many of us to shame.... It's estimated that 9 million quid will go to charity from the 360 tour... Thats not found on the u2 SITE BY THE WAY... This man has put a lot on the line for CHARITY.... He's been on the front line too in Africa.... He's an Ambassador of sorts........I remember how Bono said that he was getting used to the taste of the custard pies- cos people keep throwing them... BoNo turns the other cheek and keeps doing so... Oh yeah his Tax affairs etc?? READ the BLOGS... ANd if I could YOU know I would Dodge the tax myself  (legally)...... And I agree... this is his spare time... I don't think he's going to put in a docket to The Edge, Larry or Adam looking for the airfare to London... This man is a ROCK STAR... GET IT??... One of the ones that i would be proud to tell anyone younger than me about... Has he shown bad example to anyone??? On the contrary me thinks.... To anyone that thinks that BonO is doing this for street credit... well I think the answer you want is out there... he's getting the negative vibes from ye all the time....but get this .... HE's STILL RUNNING.............

Well put!

... Born an ordinary man that has done some EXTRAORDINARY things that will put many of us to shame.... It's estimated that 9 million quid will go to charity from the 360 tour...

--

Fair play to those who cangenerate a lot of money for themselves. This is not the reason why I admire Bonoanyway. I do so because of his music. His causes are just a plus. And what aplus! All this criticism sends out the wrong message: ´´Don´t dare campaigningfor money for the less well-off if you´re rich. Go live a futile life and spendyour money on yourself and your family only. Preferably look very fashionableso you can set trends for us to follow and indebtourselves by trying to look like you´´.

Born an extraodinary man who had to wait until hecould learn how to speak so he could move the crowds with his singing andchange politicians minds with his talk, I´d say.

It's not what he has, but what he does with it. I don't see him going on MTV Cribs, showing off his houses. Everyone has a right to be rich! With him being in that category allows him to relate to other celebrities out there....he doesn't have to depend on an organization to get something done...He starts them! I'm not even sure if a middle-class person can even approach someone like Bill Gates to talk about poverty, without waiting for months, just to set up an appointment. Just imagine if you were rich, all of a sudden, people are after your money....if you don't give it to them, you're automatically branded....and just think, the majority, who become rich, stay away from these causes, and just try to live the life of luxury from that point on. Bono is the grounding rod to the celebrities....he reminds them of who they were, before they became rich and famous.

• Subscriber

listen we know we are all 100% correct in supporting bono. But for some reason,  people feel a sense of entitlement to the super rich's own money. Its not our money to take & its not ours to ask for, he earns it- EVERY DIME!.

Because Bono  is wealthy doesnt mean we are supposed to get involved in what he does with his personal affairs.  Its his money to do with what he wants.

Also, What has tiger woods  ~who earns over 1 BILLION done for the poor and sick people? oops, did i just go there>???