Songs of Ascent

If this album ever happens, I'd loooove for Mercy, Winter, and Kingdom of You Love to show up on it.

this is the list of just possibilities that could be on the album. its at atu2.com:

[*]"Kingdom Of Your Love" - this is the name of the song U2 is using as the intro music when the band takes the stage on the U2 360 Tour

[*]"Tripoli" (unused from No Line On The Horizon) In a video on U2.com, Brian Eno explains that this song became "Fez" on No Line On The Horizon.

[*]"Winter" (unused from No Line On The Horizon) - this song appears in the Jim Sheridan film, Brothers

[*]"Every Breaking Wave" (Bono told Rolling Stone this is a "surging anthem" and would be the first single.)

[*]"If I Could Live My Life Again" - Bono says this song is "inspired by the great Argentinian poet Jorge Luis Borges." Bono said he had just begun the song while speaking with author Michka Assayas in December, 2005. Their interview appears as the extra material in the paperback version of Bono in Conversation with Michka Assayas.

[*]"Love Is All We Have Left" - a song Bono named during his May, 2006, trip to Africa as one that he had recently written. "It’s like an old Broadway tune. I thought it was a Frank Sinatra song," Bono said.

[*]"North Star," a song from the How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb sessions which included a guest organ appearance from Michael W. Smith. In this CCM article, Smith describes the song as a tribute to Johnny Cash.

[*]"Mercy", one of the last songs to get cut from How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, described in Blender magazine as "a six-and-a-half-minute outpouring of U2 at its most uninhibitedly U2-ish"

[*]"Lead Me In The Way I Should Go" -- a contender for Atomic Bomb first mentioned in this February, 2003, interview with Bono in Grammy Magazine

[*]"You Can't Give Away Your Heart" - a contender for Atomic Bomb first mentioned in SPIN magazine

• Subscriber

I don't want "another" No Line on the Horizon. For me Songs of Ascent are nothing but songs left over from No Line recording sessions and that's U2 repeating themselves. I love U2 for their ability to reinvent their sound, to come up with something different. So it's better if they will put Songs of Ascent behind, take a break and "dream it all over again".......

• Subscriber

I can't understand why people think Mercy might be included in the new album. Maybe so will Are you gonna wait forever? Smile? Flower Child? etc leftovers...

The same was expected form the new album... that "mercy" might be included.

A good song, but already released... so I don't think it'll be on the album.

• Subscriber

I really think that Songs of Ascent (I love the title) is not going to happen, they will come up with something different, so, as a No Line On The Horizon lover I would like to make a little request to the band:

Please, don't leave those songs unreleased, could you, please, be a little more generous and put them in the B sides of neXt singles?

• Subscriber

Lots of songs on albums were left over from previous sessions on other albums . . . they go back to some songs and rework them or they move on to brand new songs, but whatever ends up on the new album will have some roots in previous sessions.

I can't understand why people think Mercy might be included in the new album. Maybe so will Are you gonna wait forever? Smile? Flower Child? etc leftovers...

The same was expected form the new album... that "mercy" might be included.

A good song, but already released... so I don't think it'll be on the album.

Was it released on a certain extra album or something? If so, where can I find it!!!?? I love that song!!smile.gif

I really think that Songs of Ascent (I love the title) is not going to happen, they will come up with something different, so, as a No Line On The Horizon lover I would like to make a little request to the band:

Please, don't leave those songs unreleased, could you, please, be a little more generous and put them in the B sides of neXt singles?

yeah I gotta feeling that they're gonna drop songs of ascent and pull something even better out and release it. but who knows. whatever they release, i'm sure it will be good!
  • 1 month later...

I particularly like this title for an album or EP.  By June

would be nice smile.gif Could a "Moment of Surrender" type

mood of inspiration in the studio stretch out into new

songs they can accept as theirs by June...

j'espere wink.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZtQh5EIgWQ

"they have human feet and wear helmets like stars,

like units of sound locked inside a music box"

--John Yau