This Is War: 30Sec. to Mars - Lillywhite/Flood

bflorendo

Just worked with 30 Seconds to Mars over the weekend. Couldn't help but think that Jared Leto (lead singer) was taking some moves from Bono. Even their latest single, 'Kings and Queens' is reminiscent of old U2....a coincidence that the producer of 30 Sec. to Mar's latest album is Steve Lillywhite and Flood (who lends to the electronica side to this album). So to think if U2 were to release an album, sounding like their 1st 3 (which The Edge indicated before), I think they would have to bypass Lanois/Eno and just work with Lillywhite....which wouldn't be bad (no pun intended).

• Subscriber

I like 30 Seconds to Mars but I don't see/hear the U2/ Bono likeness, honestly. Though I haven't seen them perform live.

Steve Lillywhite also produced HTDAAB and Flood was involved in the production of that album as well and I don't see any similarities there to the first 3 U2 records.

• Subscriber

I like 30 Seconds to Mars but I don't see/hear the U2/ Bono likeness, honestly. Though I haven't seen them perform live.

Steve Lillywhite also produced HTDAAB and Flood was involved in the production of that album as well and I don't see any similarities there to the first 3 U2 records.

Yes, Lillywhite (Rock) and Flood (Electronica) were involved in the HTDAAB album, but the majority of it was Eno/Lanois (Gospel/Bluesy/Ambient). They just need to do one with Lillywhite only. Actually, Eno/Lanios were involved in the creative process, whereas Lillywhite was more on the consultation...he put his 2 cents worth when they transformed 'Native Son' into 'Vertigo'. As for 30 Seconds to Mars, Leto came up with the lyrics to 'Kings and Queens' when he went to South Africa. The lyrics suggests a once powerful continent that declined due to wars/famine/race issues and diseases....and when you get a chance to see them, look for Leto to raise his hands over the crowd, and then extend them out, like a cross, several times, then do the call & response. Run out into the crowd, then stand on a narrow tall road case (which he did with ours), at FOH...does that remind you of a young Bono?..my buddy and I had to hold that console case....otherwise, he would've busted his ass, and break the case. As for their music, a lot more 'The Edge-type' guitar sounds were present....kinda like Angels & Airwaves, with the build-ups, the big chorus lines and the crowd chants.

• Subscriber

[quote name='bflorendo wrote:

ceallach67']I like 30 Seconds to Mars but I don't see/hear the U2/ Bono likeness, honestly. Though I haven't seen them perform live.

Yes, Lillywhite (Rock) and Flood (Electronica) were involved in the HTDAAB album, but the majority of it was Eno/Lanois (Gospel/Bluesy/Ambient). They just need to do one with Lillywhite only. Actually, Eno/Lanios were involved in the creative process, whereas Lillywhite was more on the consultation...he put his 2 cents worth when they transformed 'Native Son' into 'Vertigo'. As for 30 Seconds to Mars, Leto came up with the lyrics to 'Kings and Queens' when he went to South Africa. The lyrics suggests a once powerful continent that declined due to wars/famine/race issues and diseases....and when you get a chance to see them, look for Leto to raise his hands over the crowd, and then extend them out, like a cross, several times, then do the call & response. Run out into the crowd, then stand on a narrow tall road case (which he did with ours), at FOH...does that remind you of a young Bono?..my buddy and I had to hold that console case....otherwise, he would've busted his ass, and break the case. As for their music, a lot more 'The Edge-type' guitar sounds were present....kinda like Angels & Airwaves, with the build-ups, the big chorus lines and the crowd chants.

LOL... yes... that does all sound very familiar.  tongue.gif  I'll have to give the new stuff a closer listen now that you mention this.

As far as HTDAAB... to me it sounds more Lillywhite influenced than anything else.  It was an album that was more straight forward rock than anything else, really.  But yeah,  I'd like to see a return to a Lillywhite-only produced album as well. 

• Subscriber

[quote name='bflorendo wrote:

ceallach67']I like 30 Seconds to Mars but I don't see/hear the U2/ Bono likeness, honestly. Though I haven't seen them perform live.

LOL... yes... that does all sound very familiar.  tongue.gif  I'll have to give the new stuff a closer listen now that you mention this.

As far as HTDAAB... to me it sounds more Lillywhite influenced than anything else.  It was an album that was more straight forward rock than anything else, really.  But yeah,  I'd like to see a return to a Lillywhite-only produced album as well. 

• Subscriber

[quote name='ceallach67 wrote:

bflorendo wrote:

I've read several interveiws where Jared Leto says that Bono is his hero and inspiration when it comes to performing.  And besides the Flood and Lilywhite connection - surely calling your album This Is War is a nod to U2s War.

mick james wrote:

I've read several interveiws where Jared Leto says that Bono is his hero and inspiration when it comes to performing.  And besides the Flood and Lilywhite connection - surely calling your album This Is War is a nod to U2s War.

I'm going to listen to This is war in a few days, and War is my U2 favourite album... Now I'm curious tongue.gif