Jump to content
  • Bono Book Zoo Header.jpg

Why I am waving goodbye to U2


Dunlop
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Subscriber

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:


bflorendo
wrote:

mick james']
Fortitude wrote

 

 

No - can't say I agree with pulling Edge's effects. You say Achtung is your favourite album and that Zooropa and Pop were also pretty good - um... have you ever listened to Edge's guitar work on those albums? Keep the effects Edge - in fact - I want more of them!

 

The notion of Edge not using effects is just so redundant.  His entire sound is and always has been based on his experimenting with stomp boxes and what not. I also think people who say "drop the effects" don't really understand how electric guitar works in the first place.

 

Effects just add different textures and tones to the sound much like different paints for an artist.  It's not as if his delay and reverb pedals play the bloody guitar for him!!

 

And with no effects - what is he meant to just play an unplugged strat? Do people not realise that distortion or basic overdrive are effects?

 

What rock band plays nothing but clean unneffected guitar?

 

I guess Dunlop wants them to sound like any other band out there...the usual Strat or Les Paul going straight to a Fender Twin, or a Marshall stack....how boring!..and then have Bono, The Edge, and Adam play the same riff...how innovative! Let's hear Even Better Than the Real Thing or Mofo w/out FX...might as well come up with an unplugged version. While you're at it, how bout tell Radiohead, Tom Morello, Steve Vai and John Frusciante to stop using FX too.

 

 

And dont forget to tell bono to loose the attitude and get the lyrics right for a change......tongue.gif just kidding, love it when he messes up... just wouldn't be bono or u2 now, would it?! well barbara, that's the charm of a real live concert, you never know what you're gonna get !!!

let's hope we're getting something great in paris !!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Subscriber

yeah, it will be great ! last year in A'dam he did confuse the 2 lines in One:

have you come here for forgiveness, to the lepards in your head

have you come here to play jesus...and he got stuck..laugh.gif

 so my husband singing along (just for once he did have the lyrics right, mostly i'm the only one that knows them by heart..) noticed it and he still laughs about it when he hears the song!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber
and dont forget to tell bono to loose the attitude and get the lyrics right for a change......tongue.gif just kidding, love it when he messes up... just wouldn't be bono or u2 now, would it?!

 

Bono with no attitude? Surely that does not a Bono make! - The attitude is why I love him and his music

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber

while ironing yesterday, i watched the POPmart-dvd (live in Mexico) watching bono act like a boxer while getting on stage!!! love that one! along with the talk about Popmusik- Pop-Pop-Popmusik...-tune: watching these dvd's still make me a bit jealous i wasn't there on those tours ...frown.gif... but i'll just have to make up for it on this tour!happy.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber

I missed popmart too - twice!!! Was really annoyed all my friend who went said it was great. Not missed one since though - as in tour not every single date - although if I could, I would!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber

[quote name='jojes wrote:


ceallach67 wrote:

jojes']I really don't understand why people who don't like U2 anymore even still bother to pay the 50USD for this website ???

This is the free side of the board and not the subscribers side.  You don't have to pay anything to join and post here.

 

Just thought I'd mention that. 
smile.gif

ok, you're right, didn't pay any attention to the part of the board the OP posted in.

I wasn't pointing at anyone in particular, it was just a general remark.  There were a lot of U2-bashing posts in other sections of the board before.

 

You're right.  I really don't have any problem with folks stating their disappointment because let's face it,  even though you love U2 and they're your favourite band, that doesn't mean you have to love everything they do.  And I think that when you do love a band there's a passion there and like anything else people can express their elation and their disappointment with equal passion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber

[quote name='jojes wrote:


ceallach67 wrote:

jojes']I really don't understand why people who don't like U2 anymore even still bother to pay the 50USD for this website ???

This is the free side of the board and not the subscribers side.  You don't have to pay anything to join and post here.

 

Just thought I'd mention that. 
smile.gif

ok, you're right, didn't pay any attention to the part of the board the OP posted in.

I wasn't pointing at anyone in particular, it was just a general remark.  There were a lot of U2-bashing posts in other sections of the board before.

 

You're right.  I really don't have any problem with folks stating their disappointment because let's face it,  even though you love U2 and they're your favourite band, that doesn't mean you have to love everything they do.  And I think that when you do love a band there's a passion there and like anything else people can express their elation and their disappointment with equal passion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber

Well ceallach67, I completely agree that if you're passionate enough, you can be passionate about the pro's & con's of someone.

 

I'm not one of those people who think U2 is the everything and anything in the universe and they can't do anything wrong.

I've got no problem with the ones who do think that. I can very well bare the fact that others state their disapointment, just as long as they stay polite and don't start name-calling others who disagree. I've been brought up with the rule that everyone is entitled to have an own opinion, but in every case you have to stay polite and understanding for the meaning/ideas of others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber
yeah, it will be great ! last year in A'dam he did confuse the 2 lines in One:

have you come here for forgiveness, to the lepards in your head

have you come here to play jesus...and he got stuck..laugh.gif

 so my husband singing along (just for once he did have the lyrics right, mostly i'm the only one that knows them by heart..) noticed it and he still laughs about it when he hears the song!

yes, I heard some people next to us going on llike 'hey, he doesn't even know his own songs anymore' ... I just thought it was funny and kept on singing my heart out, not wasting a breath on complaining about it.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber

Well ceallach67, I completely agree that if you're passionate enough, you can be passionate about the pro's & con's of someone.

 

I'm not one of those people who think U2 is the everything and anything in the universe and they can't do anything wrong.

I've got no problem with the ones who do think that. I can very well bare the fact that others state their disapointment, just as long as they stay polite and don't start name-calling others who disagree. I've been brought up with the rule that everyone is entitled to have an own opinion, but in every case you have to stay polite and understanding for the meaning/ideas of others.

Nail on the head right there, Jojes.  Though, I have seen it where someone started a thread or just made a post here where they stated their disappointment about something about this band only to be attacked for said opinion.  And all the name calling and insults came from those who called themselves the "true fans". It was validated and okay with everyone simply because it was deemed wrong to speak anything bad about U2, whether it was a personal opinion or not.  It's ridiculous when folks resort to the name calling/bullying behavior no matter what side of the opinion they stand on. There's some sort of disillusion with some that if you state something you disklike about U2, you can't be a fan anymore.  When NLOTH came out and there was so many different and divided opinions about the new album some folks nearly lost their minds because people were saying they didn't like it.  It was crazy.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...