Why I am waving goodbye to U2

Dunlop

• Subscriber

Well ceallach67, I completely agree that if you're passionate enough, you can be passionate about the pro's & con's of someone.

I'm not one of those people who think U2 is the everything and anything in the universe and they can't do anything wrong.

I've got no problem with the ones who do think that. I can very well bare the fact that others state their disapointment, just as long as they stay polite and don't start name-calling others who disagree. I've been brought up with the rule that everyone is entitled to have an own opinion, but in every case you have to stay polite and understanding for the meaning/ideas of others.

Nail on the head right there, Jojes.  Though, I have seen it where someone started a thread or just made a post here where they stated their disappointment about something about this band only to be attacked for said opinion.  And all the name calling and insults came from those who called themselves the "true fans". It was validated and okay with everyone simply because it was deemed wrong to speak anything bad about U2, whether it was a personal opinion or not.  It's ridiculous when folks resort to the name calling/bullying behavior no matter what side of the opinion they stand on. There's some sort of disillusion with some that if you state something you disklike about U2, you can't be a fan anymore.  When NLOTH came out and there was so many different and divided opinions about the new album some folks nearly lost their minds because people were saying they didn't like it.  It was crazy.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Good points...but I do think the bashing and bullying goes both ways. If someone states an articulate complaint on here, I do see them get jumped on. On the opposite end, I've also see people state positive things regarding the band and are jumped on for that and the name calling as well.

It appears to me that there's more complaining going on around here (zootopia in general) than anything and I do think that for some, that gets a little old. No disrespect intended. Hey I even find myself nodding to myself yes or even - ok, I see your point - to some of the warranted complaints but you know every now and again it is nice to ignore the bulls--t and just have fun talking about a band you like/love, speculate about the upcoming album, talk about how Adam seems to be getting better looking with age...er...ok, you catch my drift. lol

• Subscriber
Good points...but I do think the bashing and bullying goes both ways. If someone states an articulate complaint on here, I do see them get jumped on. On the opposite end, I've also see people state positive things regarding the band and are jumped on for that and the name calling as well.

It appears to me that there's more complaining going on around here (zootopia in general) than anything and I do think that for some, that gets a little old. No disrespect intended. Hey I even find myself nodding to myself yes or even - ok, I see your point - to some of the warranted complaints but you know every now and again it is nice to ignore the bulls--t and just have fun talking about a band you like/love, speculate about the upcoming album, talk about how Adam seems to be getting better looking with age...er...ok, you catch my drift. lol

that's the kind of topic that we need out here ! roll.gif

• Subscriber

[quote name='ceallach67 wrote:

jojes']Well ceallach67, I completely agree that if you're passionate enough, you can be passionate about the pro's & con's of someone.

I'm not one of those people who think U2 is the everything and anything in the universe and they can't do anything wrong.

I've got no problem with the ones who do think that. I can very well bare the fact that others state their disapointment, just as long as they stay polite and don't start name-calling others who disagree. I've been brought up with the rule that everyone is entitled to have an own opinion, but in every case you have to stay polite and understanding for the meaning/ideas of others.

Nail on the head right there, Jojes.  Though, I have seen it where someone started a thread or just made a post here where they stated their disappointment about something about this band only to be attacked for said opinion.  And all the name calling and insults came from those who called themselves the "true fans". It was validated and okay with everyone simply because it was deemed wrong to speak anything bad about U2, whether it was a personal opinion or not.  It's ridiculous when folks resort to the name calling/bullying behavior no matter what side of the opinion they stand on. There's some sort of disillusion with some that if you state something you disklike about U2, you can't be a fan anymore.  When NLOTH came out and there was so many different and divided opinions about the new album some folks nearly lost their minds because people were saying they didn't like it.  It was crazy.

indeed, the name-calling goes both ways i some posts.

It's good to have an open discussion on something, as long as it all stays polite, but some people do forget that sometimes.

Maybe we should start a thread on what makes a "true fan" ... could have a terrific laugh then !!

For me "agreeing with all that U2 does" and "not being able to bear criticism about them" won't be on the list !

• 2 weeks later...