• Bono Book Zoo Header.jpg

Why I am waving goodbye to U2

Dunlop

About the ISP topic...Apparently Dunlop and Pissedoff didn't get what Bono and Paul McGuinness were saying. This is NOT for U2's sake...as they make most of their money through concert tickets and merch. It's looking out for the bands that are just starting, trying to get their name out there, trying to make money from their creations. These start up bands usually open for headliners (doesn't really pay much), which means they rely on their CD sales. How are they going to pay back the record label, for loaning them money for touring expenses and studio time, gear rental and promotions? That's why a lot of start up bands get into financial trouble early on. Yes, all those 'bling' or gear you see a band travels with is either free, from endorsements, or the label lent them money for it, and they have to pay them back by touring and CD sales. Nothing's for free in this line of business!

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

About the ISP topic...Apparently Dunlop and Pissedoff didn't get what Bono and Paul McGuinness were saying. This is NOT for U2's sake...as they make most of their money through concert tickets and merch. It's looking out for the bands that are just starting, trying to get their name out there, trying to make money from their creations. These start up bands usually open for headliners (doesn't really pay much), which means they rely on their CD sales. How are they going to pay back the record label, for loaning them money for touring expenses and studio time, gear rental and promotions? That's why a lot of start up bands get into financial trouble early on. Yes, all those 'bling' or gear you see a band travels with is either free, from endorsements, or the label lent them money for it, and they have to pay them back by touring and CD sales. Nothing's for free in this line of business!
Like normal bro, Bono haters await any Bono news with great excitement. It's their time to shine. They get to scour the net and post "Bonehead sucks"  whenever there's a new article.

The fact that Bono clearly stated he wasn't fighting for royalties for himself, but like you say, new bands who will never get a chance as people steal their music from the start of their career, is completly beside the point to these folk.

Bono isn't allowed as an extremely well-known musician and activist, to have an opinion.

But these anonomous internet douchebags are.

• Subscriber

If it wasn't for Pop & The Popmart Tour I wouldn't be a U2 fan... And yes they may have gone downhill in the last ten years, but that happens to all the great bands. Doesn't mean we can't still appreciate the good old songs from the 90's & 80's.

U2 frontman Bono's tax avoidance 'depriving poor'

U2 front man Bono came under fire today from campaigners who claim he his not putting his money where his mouth is.

The human rights activist was accused of robbing the world's poorest people by storing some of his wealth in a tax haven.

Bono impersonator Paul O'Toole joined protesters outside the Irish Department of Finance on the eve of the launch of the band's new album No Line On The Horizon in the Irish Republic.

OK BIG FAT HAIRY FUCKING DEAL I MEAN WHO IN THIER RIGHT MIND WOULD NOT DO THIS IF THEY HAD THE CHANCE EH?????????????

COME ON I DARE SOMEONE TO SAY THE WOULD NOT DO THIS GO ON I DOUBLE DARE YA BUT BEAR IN MIND A VALID REASON IS REQUIRED INTO WHY YOU WOULD NOT OR I'LL JUST CALL YA A LYING BUGGER.

oh and the impersonator's got the right name TOOL.

What's funny about all you tax whiners is htat if you could you would do the exact same thing.

Fuck they should have a test before allowing people to join U2.com.

1. Are you going to be overly critical of their ever move?

2. Do you care more about the music?

3. or are you seeking to crucify Bono because he's a celebrity?

If you answer yes to 1 and 3 then you are denied.

U2 frontman Bono's tax avoidance 'depriving poor'

U2 front man Bono came under fire today from campaigners who claim he his not putting his money where his mouth is.

The human rights activist was accused of robbing the world's poorest people by storing some of his wealth in a tax haven.

Bono impersonator Paul O'Toole joined protesters outside the Irish Department of Finance on the eve of the launch of the band's new album No Line On The Horizon in the Irish Republic.

OK BIG FAT HAIRY FUCKING DEAL I MEAN WHO IN THIER RIGHT MIND WOULD NOT DO THIS IF THEY HAD THE CHANCE EH?????????????

COME ON I DARE SOMEONE TO SAY THE WOULD NOT DO THIS GO ON I DOUBLE DARE YA BUT BEAR IN MIND A VALID REASON IS REQUIRED INTO WHY YOU WOULD NOT OR I'LL JUST CALL YA A LYING BUGGER.

oh and the impersonator's got the right name TOOL.

Amen to that!

Hey Dunlop,

I read your article with interest. I was mainly interested in your writing style.  You kept me reading.  There are very few posters on here that have that ability.  I agree with you in small parts in your greivances, but I definitely do not go along with your solutions.  But each to their own, I suppose :-)

I was very disappointed by user's responses.  I can't understand why a fan can't write anything negative about a band they love.  Think about it. Many of us have siblings and hopefully we all love them but every now and then we tend to say negative things to or about them when they upset us.  It doesn't mean we love them less.  We love them just as much but we do have our grievances.  I'm sure you all understand the point I'm making.

True fans would respect the opinions of others no matter how negative they may be.  Unfortunately, people's responses to Dunlop's opinions have just created one thing: dysfunction.

There's a difference between respecting an opinion and an entitlement complex.

Dunlop's opinion comes from an entitlement complex.

Regardless if Dunlop's thoughts are driven from an "entitlement complex" (interesting term), I still think he deserves respect as a human being for his view. I did note that he did state that he "has been a fan since 1983" and I assume that this automatically labels him as one with an "entitlement complex", even if he has not explicitly stated that he is entitled to anything at all, other than an opinion.  I think we are all entitled to an opinion but that doesn't mean we necessarily have a complex of any sort.

In any case Panth, derogatory comments aimed at anyone, no matter what their point of view, encourages hate.  I'm not sure U2 are proud of fans that defend them in such a manner.

• Subscriber
Hey Dunlop,

I read your article with interest. I was mainly interested in your writing style.  You kept me reading.  There are very few posters on here that have that ability.  I agree with you in small parts in your greivances, but I definitely do not go along with your solutions.  But each to their own, I suppose :-)

I was very disappointed by user's responses.  I can't understand why a fan can't write anything negative about a band they love.  Think about it. Many of us have siblings and hopefully we all love them but every now and then we tend to say negative things to or about them when they upset us.  It doesn't mean we love them less.  We love them just as much but we do have our grievances.  I'm sure you all understand the point I'm making.

True fans would respect the opinions of others no matter how negative they may be.  Unfortunately, people's responses to Dunlop's opinions have just created one thing: dysfunction.

Actually, I'm one that makes this very argument around this place often.  I'm all for people voicing and expressing their opinons and do not feel that just because this is fan board that only positive opinions have to be expressed.  However, the real dysfunction started when Dunlop chose to insult people out of the gate.  His/her opinions may have been met with a better response had they expressed their opinion in a less dysfuctional way.  Insulting the intended reader(s) of said opinion generally not the best way to get your point across.