Jump to content
  • Bono Book Zoo Header.jpg

Why I am waving goodbye to U2


Dunlop
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Subscriber
Hey Dunlop,

 

I read your article with interest. I was mainly interested in your writing style.  You kept me reading.  There are very few posters on here that have that ability.  I agree with you in small parts in your greivances, but I definitely do not go along with your solutions.  But each to their own, I suppose :-)

 

I was very disappointed by user's responses.  I can't understand why a fan can't write anything negative about a band they love.  Think about it. Many of us have siblings and hopefully we all love them but every now and then we tend to say negative things to or about them when they upset us.  It doesn't mean we love them less.  We love them just as much but we do have our grievances.  I'm sure you all understand the point I'm making.

 

True fans would respect the opinions of others no matter how negative they may be.  Unfortunately, people's responses to Dunlop's opinions have just created one thing: dysfunction.

 

Actually, I'm one that makes this very argument around this place often.  I'm all for people voicing and expressing their opinons and do not feel that just because this is fan board that only positive opinions have to be expressed.  However, the real dysfunction started when Dunlop chose to insult people out of the gate.  His/her opinions may have been met with a better response had they expressed their opinion in a less dysfuctional way.  Insulting the intended reader(s) of said opinion generally not the best way to get your point across.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ceallach67 wrote:


bandcompletely']Hey Dunlop,

 

I read your article with interest. I was mainly interested in your writing style.  You kept me reading.  There are very few posters on here that have that ability.  I agree with you in small parts in your greivances, but I definitely do not go along with your solutions.  But each to their own, I suppose :-)

 

I was very disappointed by user's responses.  I can't understand why a fan can't write anything negative about a band they love.  Think about it. Many of us have siblings and hopefully we all love them but every now and then we tend to say negative things to or about them when they upset us.  It doesn't mean we love them less.  We love them just as much but we do have our grievances.  I'm sure you all understand the point I'm making.

 

True fans would respect the opinions of others no matter how negative they may be.  Unfortunately, people's responses to Dunlop's opinions have just created one thing: dysfunction.

 

Actually, I'm one that makes this very argument around this place often.  I'm all for people voicing and expressing their opinons and do not feel that just because this is fan board that only positive opinions have to be expressed.  However, the real dysfunction started when Dunlop chose to insult people out of the gate.  His/her opinions may have been met with a better response had they expressed their opinion in a less dysfuctional way.  Insulted the intended reader of said opinion not generally the best way to get your point across.I think my response to Panth, would be the same to you Ceallach67. See above

 

Additionally, I'd like to add that the wisest man in the bible, King Solomon, once said: 

Do not hurry yourself in your spirit to take offence because the taking of offence rests in the bossom of the stupid ones.

 

Wise words.  smile.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber

[quote name='bandcompletely wrote:


ceallach67 wrote:

bandcompletely']Hey Dunlop,

 

I read your article with interest. I was mainly interested in your writing style.  You kept me reading.  There are very few posters on here that have that ability.  I agree with you in small parts in your greivances, but I definitely do not go along with your solutions.  But each to their own, I suppose :-)

 

I was very disappointed by user's responses.  I can't understand why a fan can't write anything negative about a band they love.  Think about it. Many of us have siblings and hopefully we all love them but every now and then we tend to say negative things to or about them when they upset us.  It doesn't mean we love them less.  We love them just as much but we do have our grievances.  I'm sure you all understand the point I'm making.

 

True fans would respect the opinions of others no matter how negative they may be.  Unfortunately, people's responses to Dunlop's opinions have just created one thing: dysfunction.

 

Actually, I'm one that makes this very argument around this place often.  I'm all for people voicing and expressing their opinons and do not feel that just because this is fan board that only positive opinions have to be expressed.  However, the real dysfunction started when Dunlop chose to insult people out of the gate.  His/her opinions may have been met with a better response had they expressed their opinion in a less dysfuctional way.  Insulted the intended reader of said opinion not generally the best way to get your point across.
I think my response to Panth, would be the same to you Ceallach67. See above

 

Additionally, I'd like to add that the wisest man in the bible, King Solomon, once said: 

Do not hurry yourself in your spirit to take offence because the taking of offence rests in the bossom of the stupid ones.

 

Wise words.  smile.gif

 

Indeed.  And one could also offer up that one who has to insult from the start doesn't really have a valid point to make or they wouldn't need to rely on an insult for getting the attention of their audience.

 

Most of your post to Panth I agree with and had said as much myself.  Dunlop is entitled to state their opinion... not a problem at all with that. In fact I encourage it.

 

But this in your post:

 

In any case Panth, derogatory comments aimed at anyone, no matter what their point of view, encourages hate. 
 Exactly my point.  How do you expect to have your point of view taken seriously if the first words are an insult?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber

[quote name='bandcompletely wrote:


ceallach67 wrote:

bandcompletely']Hey Dunlop,

 

I read your article with interest. I was mainly interested in your writing style.  You kept me reading.  There are very few posters on here that have that ability.  I agree with you in small parts in your greivances, but I definitely do not go along with your solutions.  But each to their own, I suppose :-)

 

I was very disappointed by user's responses.  I can't understand why a fan can't write anything negative about a band they love.  Think about it. Many of us have siblings and hopefully we all love them but every now and then we tend to say negative things to or about them when they upset us.  It doesn't mean we love them less.  We love them just as much but we do have our grievances.  I'm sure you all understand the point I'm making.

 

True fans would respect the opinions of others no matter how negative they may be.  Unfortunately, people's responses to Dunlop's opinions have just created one thing: dysfunction.

 

Actually, I'm one that makes this very argument around this place often.  I'm all for people voicing and expressing their opinons and do not feel that just because this is fan board that only positive opinions have to be expressed.  However, the real dysfunction started when Dunlop chose to insult people out of the gate.  His/her opinions may have been met with a better response had they expressed their opinion in a less dysfuctional way.  Insulted the intended reader of said opinion not generally the best way to get your point across.
I think my response to Panth, would be the same to you Ceallach67. See above

 

Additionally, I'd like to add that the wisest man in the bible, King Solomon, once said: 

Do not hurry yourself in your spirit to take offence because the taking of offence rests in the bossom of the stupid ones.

 

Wise words.  smile.gif

 

Indeed.  And one could also offer up that one who has to insult from the start doesn't really have a valid point to make or they wouldn't need to rely on an insult for getting the attention of their audience.

 

Most of your post to Panth I agree with and had said as much myself.  Dunlop is entitled to state their opinion... not a problem at all with that. In fact I encourage it.

 

But this in your post:

 

In any case Panth, derogatory comments aimed at anyone, no matter what their point of view, encourages hate. 
 Exactly my point.  How do you expect to have your point of view taken seriously if the first words are an insult?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[quote name='ceallach67 wrote:


bandcompletely']I think my response to Panth, would be the same to you Ceallach67. See above

 

Additionally, I'd like to add that the wisest man in the bible, King Solomon, once said: 

Do not hurry yourself in your spirit to take offence because the taking of offence rests in the bossom of the stupid ones.

 

Wise words. 
smile.gif

 

Indeed.  And one could also offer up that one who has to insult from the start doesn't really have a valid point to make or they wouldn't need to rely on an insult for getting the attention of their audience.

 

Most of your post to Panth I agree with and had said as much myself.  Dunlop is entitled to state their opinion... not a problem at all with that. In fact I encourage it.

 

But this in your post:

 

In any case Panth, derogatory comments aimed at anyone, no matter what their point of view, encourages hate. 

 Exactly my point.  How do you expect to have your point of view taken seriously if the first words are an insult?

I shouldn't answer a question with a question but to whom was Dunlop directing his insult?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber

[quote name='bflorendo wrote:


deannamarieu2']lol, my son is a fan of metallica, hes a member of their fan club but its under my name since i paid for it since he;s 13, and ive read the boards on there and there is not any criticism of u2 on there..i guess we just need to come to our home of u2.com for the haters of the band we love>? how ironic!!!

 lol actually there is not as much negativity from people that are fans towards metallica on their own website. what i mean to say is -why are there so many haters on u2.com. im sick of it! I say good riddens to dunlop who actually isnt a fan anymore obviously, or never was ?!

 

u2 forever!

My buddy is on the Metallica tour....and those guys treat their crew like family. They are a class act like U2.

 agreed, and they also played the rock n roll hall of fame concert here in NY along w/ u2 . i took my son with me to the concert and I really liked the fact that they were open about the fact that they are a closed knit band (Im thinkin in my head- yea like U2 is!) and how they had to open up to let the guests & legends too come in to sing with them (lou reed and ozzy osbourne and the guy from the kinks ,etc). Just like  u2 in that mentality. also they now are so devoted to their wives n their kids just like u2 .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber

There's a difference between respecting an opinion and an entitlement complex.

 

Dunlop's opinion comes from an entitlement complex.

Wait, do you think that bandcompletely and Dunlop really the same person?Because Bandcompletely is the only person on here who can 'appreciate' and 'love the writing style' . it wouldnt be the first time for someone who trolls the internet to do something like this, just to prove that they have 'support'. And to bandcompletely i would disagree- no fans do not want to read hatred of their band when they pay money to be part of their fan club. thats why its called a FAN club!

i think it was BS and written in a confusing style and I did not care to read.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber

[quote name='bandcompletely wrote:


ceallach67 wrote:

bandcompletely
']I think my response to Panth, would be the same to you Ceallach67. See above

 

Additionally, I'd like to add that the wisest man in the bible, King Solomon, once said: 

Do not hurry yourself in your spirit to take offence because the taking of offence rests in the bossom of the stupid ones.

 

Wise words. 
smile.gif

 

Indeed.  And one could also offer up that one who has to insult from the start doesn't really have a valid point to make or they wouldn't need to rely on an insult for getting the attention of their audience.

 

Most of your post to Panth I agree with and had said as much myself.  Dunlop is entitled to state their opinion... not a problem at all with that. In fact I encourage it.

 

But this in your post:

 

In any case Panth, derogatory comments aimed at anyone, no matter what their point of view, encourages hate. 

 Exactly my point.  How do you expect to have your point of view taken seriously if the first words are an insult?

I shouldn't answer a question with a question but to whom was Dunlop directing his insult?

The insult would have been directed to everyone who read his post and took offense. It was the first line of his post in fact. 

 

Personally, I wasn't insulted as I don't take offense to generic insults thrown out especially from someone posting on the Internet who doesn't know me in the slightest.  I was just mentioning it because it could be taken as offensive to anyone who read the post.  All I am saying is,  it isn't a good way to start out your post.  Mostly because people won't even read past that first line because they are put on the defense immediately and any points you are making would be lost. I read the post in full and there were some points made that I agreed with.  My first post was made in jest.  But like you,  it does bother me when folks try to state an opinion that isn't pro U2 and the poster is jumped all over for stating their opinion.  Trust me,  I've been on the receiving end of that here on occasion, notably when the NLOTH album came out and I expressed how I didn't really like it so much.  As I stated in an earlier post in this thread, the fights that happened as the result of some of the population on this board losing their minds because others stated they didn't like the album were totally absurd. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber

[quote name='bandcompletely wrote:


ceallach67 wrote:

bandcompletely
']I think my response to Panth, would be the same to you Ceallach67. See above

 

Additionally, I'd like to add that the wisest man in the bible, King Solomon, once said: 

Do not hurry yourself in your spirit to take offence because the taking of offence rests in the bossom of the stupid ones.

 

Wise words. 
smile.gif

 

Indeed.  And one could also offer up that one who has to insult from the start doesn't really have a valid point to make or they wouldn't need to rely on an insult for getting the attention of their audience.

 

Most of your post to Panth I agree with and had said as much myself.  Dunlop is entitled to state their opinion... not a problem at all with that. In fact I encourage it.

 

But this in your post:

 

In any case Panth, derogatory comments aimed at anyone, no matter what their point of view, encourages hate. 

 Exactly my point.  How do you expect to have your point of view taken seriously if the first words are an insult?

I shouldn't answer a question with a question but to whom was Dunlop directing his insult?

The insult would have been directed to everyone who read his post and took offense. It was the first line of his post in fact. 

 

Personally, I wasn't insulted as I don't take offense to generic insults thrown out especially from someone posting on the Internet who doesn't know me in the slightest.  I was just mentioning it because it could be taken as offensive to anyone who read the post.  All I am saying is,  it isn't a good way to start out your post.  Mostly because people won't even read past that first line because they are put on the defense immediately and any points you are making would be lost. I read the post in full and there were some points made that I agreed with.  My first post was made in jest.  But like you,  it does bother me when folks try to state an opinion that isn't pro U2 and the poster is jumped all over for stating their opinion.  Trust me,  I've been on the receiving end of that here on occasion, notably when the NLOTH album came out and I expressed how I didn't really like it so much.  As I stated in an earlier post in this thread, the fights that happened as the result of some of the population on this board losing their minds because others stated they didn't like the album were totally absurd. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber

[quote name='deannamarieu2 wrote:


Panth']There's a difference between respecting an opinion and an entitlement complex.

 

Dunlop's opinion comes from an entitlement complex.

Wait, do you think that bandcompletely and Dunlop really the same person?Because Bandcompletely is the only person on here who can 'appreciate' and 'love the writing style' . it wouldnt be the first time for someone who trolls the internet to do something like this, just to prove that they have 'support'. And to bandcompletely i would disagree- no fans do not want to read hatred of their band when they pay money to be part of their fan club. thats why its called a FAN club!

i think it was BS and written in a confusing style and I did not care to read.

No I don't think they are the same person or at least I wouldn't think that just because Bandcompletely appreciated Dunlop's writing style.  I did agree with a couple of Dunlop's points, does that make me suspect as being Dunlop, too?

 

Truly, you don't have to read anything you don't want to. The only power you have is over your own actions.  You can't control people posting what they want to express whether you agree with that opinion or not.  You can choose to ignore it if it bothers you so greatly.  If the post is that offensive and out of line, the Mods here will take care of it.  Trust me, they will.  This is an open free forum and people are not only going to post what you want to read. And as I stated previously this is the free side.  People don't pay anything to post here. Also, this isn't the fan club; this is simply the message board. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...