• Bono Book Zoo Header.jpg

Why I am waving goodbye to U2

Dunlop

• Subscriber

[quote name='deannamarieu2 wrote:

Panth']There's a difference between respecting an opinion and an entitlement complex.

Dunlop's opinion comes from an entitlement complex.

Wait, do you think that bandcompletely and Dunlop really the same person?Because Bandcompletely is the only person on here who can 'appreciate' and 'love the writing style' . it wouldnt be the first time for someone who trolls the internet to do something like this, just to prove that they have 'support'. And to bandcompletely i would disagree- no fans do not want to read hatred of their band when they pay money to be part of their fan club. thats why its called a FAN club!

i think it was BS and written in a confusing style and I did not care to read.

No I don't think they are the same person or at least I wouldn't think that just because Bandcompletely appreciated Dunlop's writing style.  I did agree with a couple of Dunlop's points, does that make me suspect as being Dunlop, too?

Truly, you don't have to read anything you don't want to. The only power you have is over your own actions.  You can't control people posting what they want to express whether you agree with that opinion or not.  You can choose to ignore it if it bothers you so greatly.  If the post is that offensive and out of line, the Mods here will take care of it.  Trust me, they will.  This is an open free forum and people are not only going to post what you want to read. And as I stated previously this is the free side.  People don't pay anything to post here. Also, this isn't the fan club; this is simply the message board. 

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Panth']There's a difference between respecting an opinion and an entitlement complex.

Wait, do you think that bandcompletely and Dunlop really the same person?Because Bandcompletely is the only person on here who can 'appreciate' and 'love the writing style' . it wouldnt be the first time for someone who trolls the internet to do something like this, just to prove that they have 'support'. And to bandcompletely i would disagree- no fans do not want to read hatred of their band when they pay money to be part of their fan club. thats why its called a FAN club!

Firstly, I'm not Dunlop.  I am bandcompletely and just bandcompletely.  Everything I write is with the deepest respect for others.  I do not incite others to negativity, or so I hope I don't.  I simply liked Dunlop's style of writing, I appreciated some of his/her thoughts.  I do not see how what he/she wrote was of hatred towards the band.  Furthermore, this is a discussion forum, not a fan club.  Additionally, this site is not exclusive to fans - anyone can join - fans and non-fans alike.

I'm a little confused with your last comment but I'll refrain from questioning further for fear I will be considered a troll.

[quote name='ceallach67 wrote:

bandcompletely
']

I shouldn't answer a question with a question but to whom was Dunlop directing his insult?

The insult would have been directed to everyone who read his post and took offense. It was the first line of his post in fact. 

Personally, I wasn't insulted as I don't take offense to generic insults thrown out especially from someone posting on the Internet who doesn't know me in the slightest.  I was just mentioning it because it could be taken as offensive to anyone who read the post.  All I am saying is,  it isn't a good way to start out your post.  Mostly because people won't even read past that first line because they are put on the defense immediately and any points you are making would be lost. I read the post in full and there were some points made that I agreed with.  My first post was made in jest.  But like you,  it does bother me when folks try to state an opinion that isn't pro U2 and the poster is jumped all over for stating their opinion.  Trust me,  I've been on the receiving end of that here on occasion, notably when the NLOTH album came out and I expressed how I didn't really like it so much.  As I stated in an earlier post in this thread, the fights that happened as the result of some of the population on this board losing their minds because others stated they didn't like the album were totally absurd. 

I am new enough to this website and I don't frequent it too often so excuse my ignorance.  I read the first line about ADD and I am unable to see how people would be offended by the reference unless of course there are many people on here who have ADD and therefore were offended by the derogatory nature of the reference. I don't have ADD so I just glanced over it and didn't pay much heed.  I guess this is why I didn't see any offence.  My mistake.

Adding to your last paragraph, I don't see how anyone can get offended by anything anyone states on here unless it is directly posted towards them personally.

• Subscriber

[quote name='bandcompletely wrote:

deannamarieu2 wrote:

Firstly, I'm not Dunlop.  I am bandcompletely and just bandcompletely.  Everything I write is with the deepest respect for others.  I do not incite others to negativity, or so I hope I don't.  I simply liked Dunlop's style of writing, I appreciated some of his/her thoughts.  I do not see how what he/she wrote was of hatred towards the band.  Furthermore, this is a discussion forum, not a fan club.  Additionally, this site is not exclusive to fans - anyone can join - fans and non-fans alike.

I'm a little confused with your last comment but I'll refrain from questioning further for fear I will be considered a troll.Well my membership is paid and i did think u were the same person, maybe i was reading a quote and got confused but um yea, I pay to be a member of the fan club and the forums are part of it. so um, yea this is a fan club for me no matter if its a discussion board or not.  guess ill stick to the paid member forums so i dont have to read negativity like some people post.

• Subscriber

[quote name='ceallach67 wrote:

deannamarieu2 wrote:

No I don't think they are the same person or at least I wouldn't think that just because Bandcompletely appreciated Dunlop's writing style.  I did agree with a couple of Dunlop's points, does that make me suspect as being Dunlop, too?

Truly, you don't have to read anything you don't want to. The only power you have is over your own actions.  You can't control people posting what they want to express whether you agree with that opinion or not.  You can choose to ignore it if it bothers you so greatly.  If the post is that offensive and out of line, the Mods here will take care of it.  Trust me, they will.  This is an open free forum and people are not only going to post what you want to read. And as I stated previously this is the free side.  People don't pay anything to post here. Also, this isn't the fan club; this is simply the message board. 

ok whatever, i was joking actually and by the way  im just staying away because 1- its too confusing to read who posts what, and 2- i do pay to be part of the fan club and this bs  comes up on my profile as a paid member and im going to ignore from now on ok. im not an idiot i know about freedom of speech, im a grown up and i know that people can post what they want. ok have a nice day! :)

• Subscriber

Actually, deannamarieu2, there are still negative opinions posted about U2 on the sub side too. People have all different opinions and are allowed to post them as they see fit. Your best bet is to just ignore those threads you don't like or want to be a part of. I'm a paying member too and I have been for about 5 years now.

• Subscriber

Actually, deannamarieu2, there are still negative opinions posted about U2 on the sub side too. People have all different opinions and are allowed to post them as they see fit. Your best bet is to just ignore those threads you don't like or want to be a part of. I'm a paying member too and I have been for about 5 years now.

• Subscriber

Actually, deannamarieu2, there are still negative opinions posted about U2 on the sub side too. People have all different opinions and are allowed to post them as they see fit. Your best bet is to just ignore those threads you don't like or want to be a part of. While the message board is a part of the fan club, it is not the fan club.

I'm a paying member too and I have been for about 5 years now.

yes i know because i read the paid ones as well, and i  have been a paid member for a while as well so dont all start hopping on me now. this guy just got on my nerves. Sorry for loving u2 so much that i get offended that someone would make a profile just to post negative things. this is stupid to even talk about now, everyone is allowed to have a bad day or a bad moment.. 

• Subscriber

ceallach67 wrote:

deannamarieu2 wrote:

ok whatever, i was joking actually and by the way  im just staying away because 1- its too confusing to read who posts what, and 2- i do pay to be part of the fan club and this bs  comes up on my profile as a paid member and im going to ignore from now on ok. im not an idiot i know about freedom of speech, im a grown up and i know that people can post what they want. ok have a nice day! :)

I didn't call you an idiot nor did I imply anything else of the kind.  Relax. Nothing was meant to be insulting just discussing. I was just saying that your best bet is to ignore the threads that might upset you is all.  There are threads that could be viewed as negative on the sub side as well.  And I'm a paying member too and I have been for about 5 years now.

• Subscriber

ceallach67 wrote:

deannamarieu2 wrote:

I didn't call you an idiot nor did I imply anything else of the kind.  Relax. Nothing was meant to be insulting just discussing. I was just saying that your best bet is to ignore the threads that might upset you is all.  There are threads that could be viewed as negative on the sub side as well.  And I'm a paying member too and I have been for about 5 years now.