Why I am waving goodbye to U2

Dunlop

• Subscriber

happy.gifWell from the replies I can see that the sycophants are alive and well and patrolling these boards. Objectivity is in short supply here and since most if not all of the people that responded didn't read the full post, let me summarize.

Most people didn't read your full post because it was rather long and negative and joining a board just to bitch and whine is off putting to many, mostly because it's rather troll-like. Secondly, when you start off with an insult to the audience you intended to read your post, what do you expect when it isn't received well?  You're entitled to your opinion, no one can fault you for that.  It's the way you present it that matters.  Anyhow... I didn't have a single problem with you stating that you were disappointed in U2. Who cares?  It's obviously something that was truly bothering you and you got it off your chest.

Now since you were kind enough to summarize, I'll actually answer you.

*I have been a major U2 fan for 25 years  Yup, me too. What does that matter?

*NLOTH is my biggest disappointment with U2- Same here. Didn't like it. I liked the songs much better live but it still isn't an album I listen to often.

*They have not had a challenge in 4 albums- A challenge? Are you saying the band hasn't had a challenge? Not really getting what your point is there.  I would imagine when you've had success as U2 has, there isn't much that's a challenge. I may be way off base with my understanding of what you're saying there.

*Each album is more mediocre than the previous- Okay... you don't like U2's latest offerings. I liked the last two albums, just not NLOTH.

*U2 are best when they are challenged- Again with the challenge thing. And you're basing this on... what? All the time you've had in the studio with them? 

*Time to change shit up. New production team and scheme- I'd like to see what would happen if U2 went with a different production team to shake things up a bit, sure. Actually, I'd like to see them self produce and see what happens.  Just them in a studio, no other outside distractions.

*Ya, $250 for a ticket, that's real punk- Sorry... but this one's just plain stupid.  While there were $250 tickets, there were also tickets in the $30, $50, $90 $95 price range as well.  Where's the problem?

That is pretty much my point. But please do continue the brainless ranting. I need something funny to read in the loo- Noel,  is that you? tongue.gif

BTW, funny how someone can hurl every profane word at a person and then call them a "hater". Isn't it ironic? Well, like I said, you start off with an insult that's what you'll get back.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

happy.gifWell from the replies I can see that the sycophants are alive and well and patrolling these boards. Objectivity is in short supply here and since most if not all of the people that responded didn't read the full post, let me summarize.

Most people didn't read your full post because it was rather long and negative and joining a board just to bitch and whine is off putting to many, mostly because it's rather troll-like. Secondly, when you start off with an insult to the audience you intended to read your post, what do you expect when it isn't received well?  You're entitled to your opinion, no one can fault you for that.  It's the way you present it that matters.  Anyhow... I didn't have a single problem with you stating that you were disappointed in U2. Who cares?  It's obviously something that was truly bothering you and you got it off your chest.

Now since you were kind enough to summarize, I'll actually answer you.

*I have been a major U2 fan for 25 years  Yup, me too. What does that matter?

*NLOTH is my biggest disappointment with U2- Same here. Didn't like it. I liked the songs much better live but it still isn't an album I listen to often.

*They have not had a challenge in 4 albums- A challenge? Are you saying the band hasn't had a challenge? Not really getting what your point is there.  I would imagine when you've had success as U2 has, there isn't much that's a challenge. I may be way off base with my understanding of what you're saying there.

*Each album is more mediocre than the previous- Okay... you don't like U2's latest offerings. I liked the last two albums, just not NLOTH.

*U2 are best when they are challenged- Again with the challenge thing. And you're basing this on... what? All the time you've had in the studio with them? 

*Time to change shit up. New production team and scheme- I'd like to see what would happen if U2 went with a different production team to shake things up a bit, sure. Actually, I'd like to see them self produce and see what happens.  Just them in a studio, no other outside distractions.

*Ya, $250 for a ticket, that's real punk- Sorry... but this one's just plain stupid.  While there were $250 tickets, there were also tickets in the $30, $50, $90 $95 price range as well.  Where's the problem?

That is pretty much my point. But please do continue the brainless ranting. I need something funny to read in the loo- Noel,  is that you? tongue.gif

BTW, funny how someone can hurl every profane word at a person and then call them a "hater". Isn't it ironic? Well, like I said, you start off with an insult that's what you'll get back.

• Subscriber

*I have been a major U2 fan for 25 years

*NLOTH is my biggest disappointment with U2

*They have not had a challenge in 4 albums.

*Each album is more mediocre than the previous.

*U2 are best when they are challenged

*Time to change shit up. New production team and scheme.

*Ya, $250 for a ticket, that's real punk.

That is pretty much my point. But please do continue the brainless ranting. I need something funny to read in the loo.

BTW, funny how someone can hurl every profane word at a person and then call them a "hater". Isn't it ironic?

You take your laptop into the loo? Dude.

Really, no one on here cares that much. We get this exact post in here every week by someone. And generally it's the equivelant of leaving a flaming bag of dog poo on a doorstep, knocking the door and running away.

You join, you do the same "I used to love U2 more than all y'all, and now they're old and lame" rant and you leave. You don't engage in any other conversation, and then you get to feel special when people react in the negative. Imagine that..... U2 fanclub peeps sticking up for the band. Shit, I think my mind was just blown. Whoa.

Well done son. Now pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake

And as for the same $250 ticket rip-off dealy that so many quote, did you not notice that there was tickets for $30 or $50???

And what the hell has punk got to do with it? Since when can the worlds biggest rock band, a corporation essentially, be punk? stadium rock by default mate, is not very punk.

Face it, your tastes have changed or more specificaly your taste no longer matches U2s output.

Deal with it.

Listen to any of the other awesome bands that are out there and enjoy new music rather than being disappointed with old music.

That is pretty much my point. But please do continue the brainless ranting. I need something funny to read in the loo.

BTW, funny how someone can hurl every profane word at a person and then call them a "hater". Isn't it ironic?

THOUGHT YOU WERE FUCKING OFF OUT OF ALL THINGS U2.....

Here we go yet ANOTHER troll coming on here and spouting total pish.

It does not matter how long anyone has listened to u2 for and fuckers like you really get on my tits when you spout shite like "i've been listening to them before the creation of everything" or " i'm the biggest fan bollocks" so you either stay or you fuck off which is it going to be????????............

and as someone previously stated on here NEWARK.

• Subscriber

[quote name='mick james wrote:

Dunlop']
happy.gif
Well from the replies I can see that the sycophants are alive and well and patrolling these boards. Objectivity is in short supply here and since most if not all of the people that responded didn't read the full post, let me summarize.

You take your laptop into the loo? Dude.

Really, no one on here cares that much. We get this exact post in here every week by someone. And generally it's the equivelant of leaving a flaming bag of dog poo on a doorstep, knocking the door and running away.

You join, you do the same "I used to love U2 more than all y'all, and now they're old and lame" rant and you leave. You don't engage in any other conversation, and then you get to feel special when people react in the negative. Imagine that..... U2 fanclub peeps sticking up for the band. Shit, I think my mind was just blown. Whoa.

Well done son. Now pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake

And as for the same $250 ticket rip-off dealy that so many quote, did you not notice that there was tickets for $30 or $50???

And what the hell has punk got to do with it? Since when can the worlds biggest rock band, a corporation essentially, be punk? stadium rock by default mate, is not very punk.

Face it, your tastes have changed or more specificaly your taste no longer matches U2s output.

Deal with it.

Listen to any of the other awesome bands that are out there and enjoy new music rather than being disappointed with old music.

yeah totally. may i also add that u2 are NOT the same band 26 years ago, they have moved on. looks like you need to move on too eh? if u2 aint pushing the right buttons for you, then yes leave u2 goodbye. you have given them the last 4 albums and still you keep coming back? why? surely you must like something about it to keep on ranting about it. if you dont like it you said your bit now kindly move on. i dont understand how you can say the last 4 albums blah blah blah and yet still talk about pop 12 years later. ok its a bad one for you, move on eh?

as for the tour, they work their balls off and they dont have to. ok? like it or lump it, but your saying goodbye to them so lump it. fair play. at least they are doing it. i know hundread of u2 fans who have not seen them live and still want to so there is still an audience out there for them, and obviously your not so.......................

yeah so we are sad for sticking up for the band right? well blow me, this is a u2 forum what do you expect? did you all expect us to agree with you? for something you have gathered up by reading media articles, other moans from other fans and think, oh yeah ill use this for my rant? because nearly every week there are post and threads on here saying the band is not the same............NO SHIT!

ive been a fan since 1985 (oooooohhhhhh) and i love the new album, its the best album since pop, and the 360 tour seriously takes u2 live to another level. the last 2 shows were good, but it was all about the music, and dont really like the "music" on the behind and bomb albums. horizon is a huge improvement.

as for the producers buddy..............

POP-produced mainly by FLOOD

ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND-produced mainly by DANIEL LANOIS, eno was more involved in song writing and was not mentioned in the credits. this didnt lead to any fall out.

HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB-produced by STEVE LILLYWHITE

NO LINE-produced by BRIAN ENO/DANIEL LANOIS

4 albums and only 2 of the are eno/lanois. if it was every album was eno/lanois, so? radiohead always work with nigel godrich, he made them sound like radiohead, whats wrong with it? eno/lanois to me made u2's sound.

so thats all i will say on the matter.

what else do you do on the loo you dirty boy?

• Subscriber

[quote name='basher1 wrote:

Dunlop']
happy.gif
Well from the replies I can see that the sycophants are alive and well and patrolling these boards. Objectivity is in short supply here and since most if not all of the people that responded didn't read the full post, let me summarize.

THOUGHT YOU WERE FUCKING OFF OUT OF ALL THINGS U2.....

Here we go yet ANOTHER troll coming on here and spouting total pish.

It does not matter how long anyone has listened to u2 for and fuckers like you really get on my tits when you spout shite like "i've been listening to them before the creation of everything" or " i'm the biggest fan bollocks" so you either stay or you fuck off which is it going to be????????............

and as someone previously stated on here NEWARK.

take a deep breathe basher!! be zen about it (although that would be something to get worried about; basher being cool, calm and collected ...)

and dunlop : i do agree with basher and macfoley, coming here to piss of U2 and call us sycophants (dont even now what that is..) with no objectivity if we defend our favourite band... what did you expect? i, for instance, wouldn't be here if i didn't still like the band... 

and saying u2 isn't the same band anymore, of course that's because they're not the same people anymore! i was..ehh... (3).. 10 years old in 83, i'm not the same person either!! when i fell in love with this band i was 14, thats 22 years ago and i've changed alot since... why would you expect a band to stay the same for more than 30 years? 

vorsprung durch technik or better; progress through change

• Subscriber

Do you make it a habit of taking yourself too seriously or is this just an exception?  Just curious.  Anyhow,  you're suggesting here with your insults and such that because YOU feel a particular way about U2 and state so that everyone should fall in line and agree.  And if by chance they don't,  they're sycophants and brainless, ADD riddled fans according to you. I could counter and say that I find you, arrogant, egotistical and full of yourself. 

Possibly had you been able to express yourself in a better, less insulting way you would have discovered that they are quite a few people here who do not like the new album, myself included.  I did enjoy the songs much better when I'd heard them performed live. Live is where it's at for U2.

As far as the last few albums which would be: HTDAAB, ATYCLB and Pop.  Well, I liked them and  I loved Pop. So there you go. It is what it is.  My favorite U2 album is and ever will be, The Unforgettable Fire.  I do realize that while I think it's a brilliant album,  a small part of the reason I love it so is for nostalgia reasons.  It represents a time for me and it means something to me personally. I don't expect them to write the same songs or album with every release.  That would suck actually. And many would be complaining about that and rightfully so. U2 seems to acquire new fans with every release and have done so throughout their 30 year long career.  The "newer" stuff is what the newer fans are going to hold dear and relate to as the later albums are their "Unforgettable Fire."  I think that's awesome.  Music means so much to so many,  just not the same music.  And thank God for that.  All of us liking the same exact thing... how epically boring would that be?

Everyone feels differently and with music it becomes a personal thing so I understand the passion involved in presenting your opinion. However, you have to remember that there are folks who will and do feel as passionately about their own opposing opinion. It doesn't ever go well when you inuslt from the start a group of people whom you don't know in the slightest. 

Simply stated; it isn't what you say, it's how you say it.  

• Subscriber

Do you make it a habit of taking yourself too seriously or is this just an exception?  Just curious.  Anyhow,  you're suggesting here with your insults and such that because YOU feel a particular way about U2 and state so that everyone should fall in line and agree.  And if by chance they don't,  they're sycophants and brainless, ADD riddled fans according to you. I could counter and say that I find you, arrogant, egotistical and full of yourself. 

Possibly had you been able to express yourself in a better, less insulting way you would have discovered that they are quite a few people here who do not like the new album, myself included.  I did enjoy the songs much better when I'd heard them performed live. Live is where it's at for U2.

As far as the last few albums which would be: HTDAAB, ATYCLB and Pop.  Well, I liked them and  I loved Pop. So there you go. It is what it is.  My favorite U2 album is and ever will be, The Unforgettable Fire.  I do realize that while I think it's a brilliant album,  a small part of the reason I love it so is for nostalgia reasons.  It represents a time for me and it means something to me personally. I don't expect them to write the same songs or album with every release.  That would suck actually. And many would be complaining about that and rightfully so. U2 seems to acquire new fans with every release and have done so throughout their 30 year long career.  The "newer" stuff is what the newer fans are going to hold dear and relate to as the later albums are their "Unforgettable Fire."  I think that's awesome.  Music means so much to so many,  just not the same music.  And thank God for that.  All of us liking the same exact thing... how epically boring would that be?

Everyone feels differently and with music it becomes a personal thing so I understand the passion involved in presenting your opinion. However, you have to remember that there are folks who will and do feel as passionately about their own opposing opinion. It doesn't ever go well when you inuslt from the start a group of people whom you don't know in the slightest. 

Simply stated; it isn't what you say, it's how you say it.