Why I am waving goodbye to U2

Dunlop

• Subscriber

Dont know if you're still around here, dunlop.. but if you are and you still think U2 are a bunch of lame and uninterested old rockers, then please check out the video of 'Boots' from the letterman show (posted in the All about U2-forum.

i dont know about you, but i feel the energy bursting from the screen  even looking at it from my tiny, old computer...

if you still dont feel it, be on your way and dont look ever back.... don't think U2 (or all the zootops in here) will miss you much...smokin.gif

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Just to address the definition of sycophant (meant to in my previous post but had forgotten). A Sycophant is a person who tries to please someone in order to gain a personal advantage. Basically, an ass-kisser.

How that even applies here is beyond me. Truly, I don't get that. By sheer definition a sycophant (ass-kisser) does so to gain something. Tell me what a fan gains to their personal advantage by defending their favorite band? Anyone out there gain anything from U2 for stating your opinion in their favour?

And hypothetically speaking, should I choose to take on this way of being, how long do you think before I get rewarded with the chance to play bass with U2 onstage? Anyone? Anyone? Hypothetically speaking, of course.

• Subscriber

Just to address the definition of sycophant (meant to in my previous post but had forgotten). A Sycophant is a person who tries to please someone in order to gain a personal advantage. Basically, an ass-kisser.

How that even applies here is beyond me. Truly, I don't get that. By sheer definition a sycophant (ass-kisser) does so to gain something. Tell me what a fan gains to their personal advantage by defending their favorite band? Anyone out there gain anything from U2 for stating your opinion in their favour?

And hypothetically speaking, should I choose to take on this way of being, how long do you think before I get rewarded with the chance to play bass with U2 onstage? Anyone? Anyone? Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Bueller. Bueller. lol! You might someday Ceallach67!! Dont give up hope!

And question, Why do we still care what dunlop thinks? Sure he was a total ass for coming on to the freakin U2 board to bash on U2 but really. maybe he just wants attention and he's gotten plenty!

Do you make it a habit of taking yourself too seriously or is this just an exception?  Just curious.  Anyhow,  you're suggesting here with your insults and such that because YOU feel a particular way about U2 and state so that everyone should fall in line and agree.  And if by chance they don't,  they're sycophants and brainless, ADD riddled fans according to you. I could counter and say that I find you, arrogant, egotistical and full of yourself. 

Possibly had you been able to express yourself in a better, less insulting way you would have discovered that they are quite a few people here who do not like the new album, myself included.  I did enjoy the songs much better when I'd heard them performed live. Live is where it's at for U2.

As far as the last few albums which would be: HTDAAB, ATYCLB and Pop.  Well, I liked them and  I loved Pop. So there you go. It is what it is.  My favorite U2 album is and ever will be, The Unforgettable Fire.  I do realize that while I think it's a brilliant album,  a small part of the reason I love it so is for nostalgia reasons.  It represents a time for me and it means something to me personally. I don't expect them to write the same songs or album with every release.  That would suck actually. And many would be complaining about that and rightfully so. U2 seems to acquire new fans with every release and have done so throughout their 30 year long career.  The "newer" stuff is what the newer fans are going to hold dear and relate to as the later albums are their "Unforgettable Fire."  I think that's awesome.  Music means so much to so many,  just not the same music.  And thank God for that.  All of us liking the same exact thing... how epically boring would that be?

Everyone feels differently and with music it becomes a personal thing so I understand the passion involved in presenting your opinion. However, you have to remember that there are folks who will and do feel as passionately about their own opposing opinion. It doesn't ever go well when you inuslt from the start a group of people whom you don't know in the slightest. 

Simply stated; it isn't what you say, it's how you say it. 

THIS. Thank you! My thoughts exactly (only much better formulated lol)! clap.gif Rational and well argumented post, as always from you. :)

• Subscriber

And as for the same $250 ticket rip-off dealy that so many quote, did you not notice that there was tickets for $30 or $50???   Yup and also $90 and $95 ranges available too.  Like I've been saying since the beginning (and to all the previous whiners about ticket prices) there is a fair range of ticket prices.

And what the hell has punk got to do with it? Since when can the worlds biggest rock band, a corporation essentially, be punk? stadium rock by default mate, is not very punk. Ohhh... is that what he meant by "punk?" Didn't understand that one.  Though just to throw this out there... The Clash played Shea Stadium back in 1982.  'Course they opened for The Who and wasn't really their best performance, but still a stadium show.  tongue.gif

• Subscriber

And as for the same $250 ticket rip-off dealy that so many quote, did you not notice that there was tickets for $30 or $50???   Yup and also $90 and $95 ranges available too.  Like I've been saying since the beginning (and to all the previous whiners about ticket prices) there is a fair range of ticket prices.

And what the hell has punk got to do with it? Since when can the worlds biggest rock band, a corporation essentially, be punk? stadium rock by default mate, is not very punk. Ohhh... is that what he meant by "punk?" Didn't understand that one.  Though just to throw this out there... The Clash played Shea Stadium back in 1982.  'Course they opened for The Who and wasn't really their best performance, but still a stadium show.  tongue.gif

• Subscriber

And question, Why do we still care what dunlop thinks? Sure he was a total ass for coming on to the freakin U2 board to bash on U2 but really. maybe he just wants attention and he's gotten plenty!

LOL... got to love Ferris Beuller. I would love to play bass with U2 even though the chances of that happening are slim and none. But I was given a glimmer of hope with the sycophant suggested approach.   roll.gif

• Subscriber

LOL... got to love Ferris Beuller. I would love to play bass with U2 even though the chances of that happening are slim and none. But I was given a glimmer of hope with the sycophant suggested approach.   roll.gif

• Subscriber

[quote name='MullenArianne wrote:

ceallach67']
Do you make it a habit of taking yourself too seriously or is this just an exception?  Just curious.  Anyhow,  you're suggesting here with your insults and such that because YOU feel a particular way about U2 and state so that everyone should fall in line and agree.  And if by chance they don't,  they're sycophants and brainless, ADD riddled fans according to you. I could counter and say that I find you, arrogant, egotistical and full of yourself. 

Possibly had you been able to express yourself in a better, less insulting way you would have discovered that they are quite a few people here who do not like the new album, myself included.  I did enjoy the songs much better when I'd heard them performed live. Live is where it's at for U2.

As far as the last few albums which would be: HTDAAB, ATYCLB and Pop.  Well, I liked them and  I loved Pop. So there you go. It is what it is.  My favorite U2 album is and ever will be, The Unforgettable Fire.  I do realize that while I think it's a brilliant album,  a small part of the reason I love it so is for nostalgia reasons.  It represents a time for me and it means something to me personally. I don't expect them to write the same songs or album with every release.  That would suck actually. And many would be complaining about that and rightfully so. U2 seems to acquire new fans with every release and have done so throughout their 30 year long career.  The "newer" stuff is what the newer fans are going to hold dear and relate to as the later albums are their "Unforgettable Fire."  I think that's awesome.  Music means so much to so many,  just not the same music.  And thank God for that.  All of us liking the same exact thing... how epically boring would that be?

Everyone feels differently and with music it becomes a personal thing so I understand the passion involved in presenting your opinion. However, you have to remember that there are folks who will and do feel as passionately about their own opposing opinion. It doesn't ever go well when you inuslt from the start a group of people whom you don't know in the slightest. 

Simply stated; it isn't what you say, it's how you say it. 

THIS. Thank you! My thoughts exactly (only much better formulated lol)! clap.gif Rational and well argumented post, as always from you. :)

Thanks, MA.  Good to see you round here.  Love the new siggy by the way,  it's awesome!