Lady With the Spinning Head

celticfc09

• Subscriber

I am not sure that I know both versions . . . I think I have the B-side version, not sure that I've heard the other one???

I was reading an article recently (by Neil McCormick?) that looked at the encore of the recent tour. He said something quite similar to what you described, 1love, and I found it interesting . . . he pointed out how Bono may have been "acting" or playing a character similar to his acting during Zoo TV, although a different character. Watch Bono - he's literally hanging on to the end of his rope with that swinging microphone during much of the encore. He hangs on tightly during Ultraviolet, then more loosely until finally letting go during With or Without You, and doesn't need it all all during Moment of Surrender. I think spiritual surrender takes place, the death of self perhaps? The character has surrendered, given all?

Moral of the story: I think all of the songs in the set-list are chosen with purpose and most especially during the encore, so I don't think it works to just substitute songs. I just don't see U2 as a band that just goes out and plays whatever songs they think will sound cool . . . I think they choose songs to give particular feeling/meaning to the show.

Of course, I could be totally wrong and reading too much into it . . . . . . . . .

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Think "Zoo Station."

I love the opening line to Achtung Baby.  "Are you ready for the laughing gas?"  But I believe the line that is relevant to the encore during the U2360 tour is this one:

"Are you ready to let go of the steering wheel?"

• Subscriber
Think "Zoo Station."

I love the opening line to Achtung Baby.  "Are you ready for the laughing gas?"  But I believe the line that is relevant to the encore during the U2360 tour is this one:

"Are you ready to let go of the steering wheel?"

Hmmmm . . .  I kinda thought there were connections between Achtung Baby and NLOTH, but indirect, kind of murky ones like opposites . . . . this is one very direct connection!!!eek.gif

Janette B – I agree… I was going to respond last night to this topic but I didn’t have enough time… I had to go out Christmas shopping instead.

I absolutely love the version of “Lady With the Spinning Head†that came out during the Achtung Baby sessions.  That version blew me away.  I was actually disappointed with the B-side release.  I don’t see it as a good replacement for â€œUltraviolet" at the U2360 concerts.

But, I do want to talk about the U2360 encore… I thought about starting a new category, but I figured I would take this opportunity to throw out some thoughts:

Remember the ZOO  TV encore?  “Ultraviolet,†“With or Without You,†“Love is Blindness.† U2 brought back “Ultaviolet†(which I love).  They now close with “With or Without You†and “Moment of Surrender.† I think there is a deep theme that takes place during both of these encores.  “Ultraviolet†says I can’t make it on my own.  “With or Without You†says I want you but I must wait for you.  “Moment of Surrender†is where the death takes place.

“A little death without mourning

No call, and no warning

Baby, a dangerous idea

That almost makes sense.† Love is Blindness

I have more on this… but will wait to see what others have to say…

i like this post :)

• Subscriber

I found the b-side version and it TOTALLY ROCKS . . . I LOVE it!!!! And, yeah, there are similarities.

OMG Mick, thanks for your link! Your re-mix is awesome, you must have put in a lot of work for that! It's like U2 have only ever done one song, lol! I need your mix on the i-pod 'cause I could really get my heart pumping with that!!!

Yeah replace Ultraviolet with LWTSH for sure - after all it was LWTSPH that spawned Ultra Violet in the first place.

LWTSPH is an Achtung Baby megafix in one song!

And yep Mick is right - listen to the background in the title track of NLOTH - just as they go into the second verse - Edge has a reworked guitar riff from The Fly in there. I found this disappointing as it's a complete repeat of the past. I think it's less noticable in the faster, alternative version of the song though.

And yep Mick is right - listen to the background in the title track of NLOTH - just as they go into the second verse - Edge has a reworked guitar riff from The Fly in there. I found this disappointing as it's a complete repeat of the past. I think it's less noticable in the faster, alternative version of the song though.
Hey now that you mention it I can hear it too but I still think the songs are so very different and work on their own...

It is not like they are ripping off another artist...are they ripping themselves off? Or the fans?

Professionals in all sort of professions often use work done in the past in their current work...like a scientist using his or her past research in their current research.

Hmm...is this argument standing up?

Hahahaha...I'm always playing defence for any attacks on U2 tongue.gif

Anyhow... I love NLOTH...i can hear the fly in there too and I think that is pretty cool smile.gif

There is a b-side called Levitate and there is a lyric "freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn babys head" ... sound familiar? Much much better in Miracle Drug!

LWTSH is like a mix of the fly and ultraviolet...you can really hear ultraviolet in there...I think ultraviolet is a much better song. When I hear that song, when the music kicks in after the slow bit at the start, I feel like going crazy.