U2 in church

voxxiegirl

I've seen a lot of threads about chruches using U2's songs for worship...

I think Gloria is the ultimate song for it.

and 40

I've also read a lot of threads about their older stuff being more metaphorical and the new album being so christian orientated...I disgree!!!

40, Gloria, One Tree Hill... all have christian references...Until the end of the world too is clearly about judas betraying jesus...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

I wish my church used some U2 music, Gloria and 40 are perfect examples, but all in all I cannot complain as the music they do use is pretty good! How about adding With a Shout, I Will Follow, Tomorrow, One Tree Hill, Where the Streets Have No Name, just to name a few . . . there are many Christian references in U2's earlier work, but perhaps it is more blatant and obvious in latter songs . . . interesting post.

• Subscriber

This is a loaded question for which I could talk for hours...Thank you for posting it.

I was scheduled to read scripture in church recently.  The Scripture was Psalm 40.  Right before I read the Scripture, the worship team sang "40".  First time I ever heard a U2 song in church.  (I didn't think it would ever happen.)  It was a special moment for me. 

At a later service, my Pastor used the example of U2 and community.  He talked about how Bono, Edge, and Larry were Christians and Adam was not.  Adam did not have the faith.  But, the other three members embraced him nonetheless.  Bono even had Adam as his best man.  Later, Adam did make a commitment to Christianity.  My Pastor used it as an example of how we can embrace people who are different regardless of their faith.  It is a story of commitment, love, and deep friendship. 

My Pastor said because of his son and myself he is beginning to like U2.  He really likes No Line on the Horizon.  My Pastor told me that there are churches who do nothing but U2 music for worship.  He thought we should try "Magnificent."

There are so many U2 songs that could be sung in church.  Perhaps later I will get into some of them when I have more time.

• Subscriber

I wish my church used some U2 music, Gloria and 40 are perfect examples, but all in all I cannot complain as the music they do use is pretty good! How about adding With a Shout, I Will Follow, Tomorrow, One Tree Hill, Where the Streets Have No Name, just to name a few . . . there are many Christian references in U2's earlier work, but perhaps it is more blatant and obvious in latter songs . . . interesting post.
yes , i agree, the messages are still in the music now however they are hidden.... where as the older stuff its more obvious, ie gloria. i always find this link helpful when trying to pin point the bible references in u2's songs. http://www.atu2.com/lyrics/biblerefs.html

also in the one book, "the u2 enclyclopedia" they did a good  idea of explaining for me how u2 decided they were praising god through playing music. i think its really a beautiful thing that they do! i also never noticed the 33:3 on the cover of all that u cant leave behind cover until this year. i cant believe how well some of these things are hidden!

that is awesome!!! and yup, 1love, your pastor sounds super cool. i wish more places were like that and more people were like that and appreciating u2's music, and in that way.

on another topic, aside from this....sadly, there are many people who'd be shocked and offended that u2 would be played in church. some seem to think u2 is some horrible demon or "thats just the same as all the other secular music. and that bono guy is a good example of what young kids and the world dont need" crap. im sorry, but i hate that whole "I wont listen to any secular music" shit. i know quite a few people who refuse to listen to anything that isnt strictly praise and worship music and if they accidentally do (even if its an innocent Bob Marley or mainstream Amy Grant song) or , they freak out, afraid they're gonna be corrupted or something. lol. some people are so stuck in some oldtime mindset and so non-open minded its scary. theres a group of people at my work that are like that about music. lol. im a music snob, so, i think i scare them sometimes. one in particular, lmao.

and also, people need to realize that u2 IS a christian band. first and foremost in the core of U2, they actually are. if people actually took the time to listen to it. NLOTH is so blatantly christian, im not sure how someone could not see that. and yet, i know a few. lol.

and yeah, most of u2's music is biblically referenced or an underlining biblical theme going, where you can take the meaning different ways... about love, God, or even something else, or even interwining it all. thats another thing thats so cool about u2.

theres a few cool clips on youtube of youth churches performing Magnificent and MOS as praise and worship songs. very very cool to see that.

• Subscriber

[quote name='deannamarieu2 wrote:

Janette B']I wish my church used some U2 music, Gloria and 40 are perfect examples, but all in all I cannot complain as the music they do use is pretty good! How about adding With a Shout, I Will Follow, Tomorrow, One Tree Hill, Where the Streets Have No Name, just to name a few . . . there are many Christian references in U2's earlier work, but perhaps it is more blatant and obvious in latter songs . . . interesting post.

yes , i agree, the messages are still in the music now however they are hidden.... where as the older stuff its more obvious, ie gloria. i always find this link helpful when trying to pin point the bible references in u2's songs. http://www.atu2.com/lyrics/biblerefs.html

also in the one book, "the u2 enclyclopedia" they did a good  idea of explaining for me how u2 decided they were praising god through playing music. i think its really a beautiful thing that they do! i also never noticed the 33:3 on the cover of all that u cant leave behind cover until this year. i cant believe how well some of these things are hidden!

You misunderstood me, actually I think that it is more blatant, more obvious NOW and was more hidden in earlier years. I think that it has always been there, but U2 seems more up-front, less shy about proclaiming it lately, although Gloria and 40 are pretty blatant! I could be wrong, but I feel like they have reached a place of confidence about their spirituality that was lacking in their early days. For instance, God is mentioned directly in NLOTH (stop helping God across the street, lamb as white as snow, God is love/evolution, just to name a few, shoot, it's in the entire album!) whereas before it was "you" more often (all because of you, etc.). Many U2 songs can be about God or a woman or love or politics or whatever and be about all of it at once by being less direct and I love that about their music too . . . you can find what you want in many of their songs and the song's meaning becomes very personal because of that, but I love their confidence to "Stand Up" and "shout it from the rooftops" and "squeeze out sparks of light" and to just proclaim their beliefs! I love that their new album is to be called Songs of Ascent . . . how much more open can they get? 

• Subscriber

NLOTH is so blatantly christian, im not sure how someone could not see that. and yet, i know a few. lol.

I've written about this topic before, but I couldn't find where... so I'll post some of my thoughts again.  Who knows, maybe they will come out different.

One of my most interesting discoveries about No Line on the Horizon is this:

No Line is a call to action.  It involves choices.  But the choice is ours.  Get out from under your beds is a call to action.  Don't be afraid.  Satan loves a bomb scare, but he won't scare you.  Don't hide under your beds.  Come out.  Its okay.  You believe in God?  Its okay to say so.  Take a stand.  "Stand up Comedy" is a call to stand up to beauty, dictator of the heart (God).  Stand up for love.  God is love.  Stand up for God.  Take a stand.  Don't be afraid.  Have Faith.  Don't be afraid of what you believe.

Early in the record, Bono sets the stage by describing an unknown caller.  333 is another reference to God on the line.  Its pretty clear God is the unknown caller.  God calls each one of us.  It is our job to answer the call.  We have a choice.  We can choose to answer the call or to ignore it.  Now, what I love is the contrast between the last two songs.  "Breathe" and "Cedars of Lebanon."  In "Breathe" the character has returned the call.  The character is not afraid.  He has God's love ("Got a love you can't defeat" -  this is my favorite line of the whole album... This is truth... think about this line for a while).  As a result, his head is clear, he can breathe.

"Nine 0 nine, St John Divine (God), on the line, my pulse is fine"  - Breathe

"Every day I have to find the courage

To walk out into the street

With arms out

Got a love you can't defeat" - Breathe

On the other hand, in "Cedars of Lebanon," the character is asked to "return the call to home."  But, he does not return the call.  He rejects God.  As a result he lives in isolation, fear, uncertainty.  His head is cloudy, aflame.

"I'm here cos I don't want to go home" - Cedars of Lebanon

"Now I've got a head like a lit cigarette

Unholy clouds reflecting in a minaret

You're so high above me, higher than everyone

Where are you in the Cedars of Lebanon?" - Cedars of Lebanon

The choice is yours.  Do you want a love that can't be defeated?  Do you want to feel like your running down the street like loose electricity? Do you want to live in isolation?... ablaze?... a cloudy haze?  What kind of head do you want?  Think about it.  The choice is yours.  Live in shackles or freedom.

"Restart and re-boot yourself.  You're free to go..."  Unknown Caller

• Subscriber

From what I know u2's music is christian related but the reason why some dont play just any well known christian song could be of this nature............; A church should be an abode a refuge from all kinds of trouble , like abusive partners , broken marriages , refugees , fatherless children , lame , sick and even the mentally ill who want to escape the dark sides of the outside world which unfortunately although maybe positive to some isnt for those lot that or the mmessage in their mind cannot escape or the memories..............

Another could be that a christian song should be holy and not sung infront of 80,000 screaming idolists who dont all set christian praise but be kept holy for Gods praise and not you could say be abused .......

But personally I  like u2's music involved in christianity it welcomes all sorts of people to the right door i guess and its some invitation to a good unity.............It doesnt have to be sung in church to be special it already is

Love their music and its ultimately inticing...............

Who knows what the future sings maye one day there will be a way where we all sing as one song..............

• Subscriber

But personally I  like u2's music involved in christianity it welcomes all sorts of people to the right door i guess and its some invitation to a good unity.............It doesnt have to be sung in church to be special it already is

Amen.