Bono's Article in the New York Times

jackie_llopis

Just released online an hour ago! Read here:http:

//www.nytimes.com/2010/01/03/opinion/03bono.html

I just read it, its awesome!happy.gif

Bono has his own writing style for sure. I enjoyed his article but it seems like in his opening he justifies the closing, that 

he doesn't give a conclusion to wrap it all up in a bow. His articles just never seem finished like he gets you going and then just leaves you hangin. Hahaha, now I know why everyone likes his music so much! I didn't see the relation until now. Anyhow, good stuff. I can relate to the Jaguar E type, I was all of 16 with a 1966 Jaguar E type, it was a 6 cyclinder but had 3 double barrel carburators. White, just beautiful. It was my daddy's and he gave it me (He claimed he bought it cuz that was the year I was born LOL yeah he bought it for him then he gave it to me years later) took my drivers license exam in that thing (it took all my effort to get the clutch pushed in) the thing sat so low to the ground I would scrape it on  everything,  I got to 160 in it, my dad took it higher than that, but you loose control at that speed. It feels like you are flying. Nothing like seeing a jag fly by at 160 with surfboards it! My brother used the car and let his girlfriend drive it and she ruined the thing. See, Bono does write really good, enough to make me think or ponder but then he just leaves it out in space. PS-I can't get in trouble for driving that speed way back then can I? LOL, thank God didn't have the equipment they do today or they would have taken that license away forever! I drive like a little old now. *wahine starts singing the Beach boys cover of the song Little Ole Lady from Pasadena* Yeah, that was a good article Bono! *wahine delights in the thought of driving that car today with Panth and those surboards, don't worry Panth I won't let anything happen to you!*

[quote name='wahine wrote:

jackie_llopis']Just released online an hour ago! Read here:http:

//www.nytimes.com/2010/01/03/opinion/03bono.html

I just read it, its awesome!
happy.gif

Bono has his own writing style for sure. I enjoyed his article but it seems like in his opening he justifies the closing, that 

he doesn't give a conclusion to wrap it all up in a bow. His articles just never seem finished like he gets you going and then just leaves you hangin.

Yeah its as if he's leaving you waiting for his next article!happy.gif

• Subscriber

Sort of "stream of consciousness", but interesting . . . hmmm . . . he doesn't like SUV's? I LOVE mine, it's small-ish, but just try fitting kids, baseball equipment, dogs, husband, groceries, etc. into a jag, LOL!!!!! I don't need or want a "sexy" car to tell me who I am. I want a car that fits my lifestyle and gets me from point A to point B most easily.

• Subscriber
Sort of "stream of consciousness", but interesting . . . hmmm . . . he doesn't like SUV's? I LOVE mine, it's small-ish, but just try fitting kids, baseball equipment, dogs, husband, groceries, etc. into a jag, LOL!!!!! I don't need or want a "sexy" car to tell me who I am. I want a car that fits my lifestyle and gets me from point A to point B most easily.
you're so right! of course being a woman i never cared for cars much... but we've owned a little Renault 5 before we had kids, a toyota stationcar after the first baby came, a citroen station-car and now we drive a ford S-max,and this one i really like! comfortable, lots of space (very welcome with 3 kids) we can pull up 2 extra seats when needed.. and i even think this car looks 'sexy'ohwell.gif

• Subscriber

I read the article and found I agreed with most views but would not make it my full concern in all subjects...........Or even talk about some............Very amusing.........

And is Paul always that rapidly energenetic or was he trying to squeeze so much information in his colume because in conversation I could not keep up lol..........

Good read , I just hope in real life you dont take these issues on as burdens , as it is the fan base here is like taking on burden if you were to take on all issues and criticisms...........

But at least your article was most of all positive ;o)

• Subscriber

Like the article, maybe not agree with all of it, but he writes well. He is putting forwards his point of view which raises some interesting discussions, which we can see on here. I do like his comment on the upside down power triangle. It is happening all over and this is a big problem in schools over here. (probably other places too but I only know schools!) Funding is being cut, cutbacks on resources and teachers etc... yet up at the top the is normally one head, two or three deputies, up to six assistant headteachers etc... - get rid of just 2 assistant heads and that would pay for 4 or 5 new teachers to actually face the classes! Because these ones nly teach between 2 - 10 lessons a week. And this is all secondary schools.

Ok had my whinge now! I'm calm again (bloody head teachers -grrrr)

• Subscriber

Most people write a top 10 list of things in the past.  Bono chooses to look forward.  Very nice twist on things.  Bono was labeled a prophet by a major Christian author in 2006.  Bono has either let this distinguished title go to his head or its actually true.  A prophet will be judged by how well his predictions come true.  Only time will tell.

I agree with most of you (123love, Zhivvy) that I agree with most of what Bono said, but not all.  I understand Bono is the spokesman for the poor (typically African countries), so I see the perspective he is taking on a few of the issues he chose to address.... but that doesn't mean I agree with him.  Here are a few of my thoughts:

1.  "Sexy Boots" is renamed "Sexy Cars."  Using the words "Obama" and "fascists" in the same sentence is sure to cause some eyebrows to raise.

3. "And yes, real economists would prefer to tax carbon at the source, but so far the political will is not there. If it were me, I’d close the deal before the rising nations want it backdated."  I think this is sarcasm... but I am totally opposed to this concept.

5. "information matters more than matter."  This is a brilliant statement.  "Could it be that God is a nerd?"  Good question.  A prophet is known for asking good questions.

6. Festival of Abraham.  I love this idea.  I hope and pray it takes off.

9. “'As someone who stands here as a direct consequence of Dr. King’s life work,' President Obama said in his Nobel acceptance speech, 'I am living testimony to the moral force of nonviolence.' So, he might have added, are the Germans and Eastern Europeans who came out a couple of months ago to celebrate the anniversary of the fall of the Wall. And so are the brave Iranians who continue to take to the streets despite the certainty of brutal repression. Like Neda Agha Soltan, they are living (and bleeding and dying) testimony."  This is my favorite part of Bono's op-ed.  Bono is not afraid to point out to the most powerful man in the world that he missed an opportunity.  This is another job of a true prophet.

10. "Canny investors will put more capital there [Africa]. This in turn has the potential to shore up fragile young democracies across the continent."  Investing in Africa.  I like this too.  Only time will tell if making financial investments in Africa will be the place to invest in this decade. 

A prophet will be judged by how well his predictions come true.  I will add to this link in 10-years time... until then, may you live long and prosper...

1. Return of the Automobile as a Sexual Object.
I agree that most, if not all, family cars these days are more functional than sexual.  Why the family car needs to be a sexual object is beyond me.  The family unit isn't sexual and nor should it be.  So, if the family isn't portrayed as sexual, neither should the humble family car. There are plenty other cars that can be regarded as sexual objects... for example:
Toyota's FT-HS Hybrid
Toyota-FT-HS-Hybrid-Sports-Car_2.jpg

Toyota-FT-HS-Hybrid-Sports-Car_5.jpg

Bugatti's Veyron
bugatti-veyron.gif

2. Intellectual Property Developers
The biggest problem with the media moguls is money.  Reduce your price for the cost of audio and video so that it encourages people to buy than download.  Of course it will mean those who create and/or distribute the paraphernalia will have to take a pay cut.  Are you prepared to do that?  If not, prepare to kill your own medium.

3. An Equal Right to Pollute
In a realistic world, all humans should be treated as equals with respect to everything, including pollution.  The reality is that some are more equal than others.  In fact, the man who wrote this article is more equal than most of us that have read his words so it makes sense for him to want to "close the deal before the rising nations want it backdated" because he would have to pay a fortune when you consider the carbon footprint he has already created with his rock band's 360 tour.

4. A Person and a Word
Bono has admitted to knowing very little about this subject therefore he hasn't explained much to us except that angiogenesis, pioneered by Dr William Li, is the process by which new blood vessels grow.  I guess what Bono was trying to tell us, by means of his little understanding of the subject, is that if we can inhibit angiogenesis, we can inhibit the growth of cancerous cells.

5. Matter doesn't Matter
I have no idea what Bono is talking about here.  Again, his explanation, or lack thereof, is due to his limited knowledge of the subject.  His question on whether God is a nerd is rather confusing.  I've always considered Bono one to have an affinity to God.  So asking whether God is a nerd is either Bono's lack of understanding of the term "nerd" or he is asking whether God has any social skills due to his indepth understanding of metaphysics. 

6. Festival of Abraham
I'm not sure why Jerusalem would be the "obvious" place to celebrate the origin of the three abrahamic religions.  Granted, the central location of Judaism today is in Jerusalem but Abraham was in Haran when God promised him that he was going to be made into a great nation.  So, should not the "obvious" best place be somewhere on the Syria/Turkey border in the location where Haran once stood?

7. People Power and the Upside-Down Pyramid
Biblical Prophecy, I believe, is being fulfilled by this upside-down pyramid - "where the masses are sitting at the top and their weight ... is being felt by those traditionally in power" -  but although it seems, for now, that it is a good thing, it is not.  Isaiah chapter 7, verses 12 & 13 states:
Woe to the multitude of many people, which make a noise like the noise of the seas; and to the rushing of nations, that make a rushing like the rushing of mighty waters!  The nations shall rush like the rushing of many waters: but God shall rebuke them, and they shall flee far off, and shall be chased as the chaff of the mountains before the wind, and like a rolling thing before the whirlwind.
It's just a sign of the times...

8. Taking the Fight to Rotavirus
He writes this as if we all know what a rotavirus is.  I don't.  But if it helps children have a better life, I'm all for it.

9. Viva la (non-violent) Revolucion
No comment other than 6.6.6.

10. The World Cup Kicks off the African Decade
I like his enthusiasm.  I can't say I share it.  I can't help but focus on one word he uttered "fragile".