Some Days Really Suck... But It Works Out

LinneaS

• Subscriber

So I go out to my car on New Year's Eve to do some errands, and my car is all smashed up!  Back end is crunched up, big dent in the side behind the passenger door, even the front end is pretty banged.  I call the police, file a report, get it towed.  Takes until Monday to reach my insurance agent and get a rental car.  In the meantime, Mom is nice enough to let me borrow her car.  Thursday, I find out that the car is a total loss, and the insurance company will cut me a check... for $2K more than the blue book value of the car!  (God bless you, State Farm!)  So now I can get myself a new car.  Well, a new-to-me car, anyway.  I don't have the bucks for a totally new one, and have no desire to take on a loan.  So I'm trying to decide what to get.  I need something reliable, that will last at least four or five years (until I'm done with school and making decent money.)  I don't really care for American cars, and am thinking of a used Toyota or Honda.  I got Consumer Reports' list of best used cars off their website, and am likely going car shopping on Tuesday.

Like my post title says...

• Subscriber

Ah... that sucks Linnea. Sorry to hear that happened. But I guess the brightside is you'll have the means to buy yourself another vehicle. And the brightest, bright side is that you weren't in the vehicle when it was struck. Cars are replaceable. Really glad that you were nowhere near the vehicle when it was hit.

Yep, you've got the best idea going to get yourself a late model used car and you can't ever go wrong with a Honda. You should get your money's worth there. Best of luck to you!

• Subscriber

Ah... that sucks Linnea. Sorry to hear that happened. But I guess the brightside is you'll have the means to buy yourself another vehicle. And the brightest, bright side is that you weren't in the vehicle when it was struck. Cars are replaceable. Really glad that you were nowhere near the vehicle when it was hit.

Yep, you've got the best idea going to get yourself a late model used car and you can't ever go wrong with a Honda. You should get your money's worth there. Best of luck to you!

• Subscriber
And the brightest, bright side is that you weren't in the vehicle when it was struck. Cars are replaceable. Really glad that you were nowhere near the vehicle when it was hi

No kidding, ceallach.  My dad and stepmom were up late that night, and said they heard something that sounded like a car crash, but couldn't tell where it came from. When I saw the car the next morning, my first thought was, "Thank God no one was in the car at the time!!"

I haven't gotten to go car shopping yet... looks like it'll be Saturday.  My rental car has to be returned tomorrow, but I can borrow my mom's car for a few days.  I've printed out Consumer Reports' list of best used cars under $10K, and there are some good possibilities on there.  I'm definitely leaning towards a Honda Civic ('99-'03).  I figure I'll get something cheaper, then put the rest of the $$ away to help pay for school.

• Subscriber

Well, I didn't get what I originally wanted. I could not, for the life of me, find a good used Honda or Toyota with low mileage! They're heavily in demand right now, so...

Saturday morning, my dad spotted an ad in the paper for gently used '08 Chrysler PT Cruisers for $7995. (They were rental returns, so you know they've been well maintained.) I thought, "What the heck... it can't hurt to take a look." We went to the dealer, and wouldn't you know it, I fell in love with it, and ended up getting one. Dad had looked up Consumer Reports ratings on them, and starting with the '08 model, the Cruiser was getting an excellent rating. I'm already really enjoying the car, and tonight I stopped and replaced my NLOTH and ATYCLB CD's, both of which were left in my other car's player when it was towed away. Of course, I just had to play one and test the sound system. ;) The sound is fabulous! And of course, I love the retro styling, both exterior and interior. Only 2 bad things: the CD player doesn't have a multi-disk changer, and the gas milage isn't quite what I wanted, either. Oh well, you can't have everything. All in all, it's a pretty good car.

• Subscriber

Well done on the new wheels.

You should check out car CD players that play mp3 CDs. Then you can put the whole U2 back cat on 1 or 2 discs.

Also eliminates the need to take your Ipod everywhere, and if your stereo or car gets nicked, you don't loose your Ipod. You can get them for about $100.