Are Singles Important Anymore?

celticfc09

• Subscriber

So there has been all this talk about the next single, but my question is: why should there be another one?

take a look into today's music world and you will see a movement by artists to sell an album rather than a song. For instance Bruce Springsteens tour promises to play albums in their entirety. Nloth certainly follows suit, such heavy presence in a setlist and Bono has always professed to being a front runner in the musical movement of the  times. Other artists you see are also taking longer to produce albums and really focusing on making the albums perfect rahter than just a slop of songs with one or two hits. Again NLOTH. The Album was continueously delayed because they wished to make the album perfect. Songs of Ascent would also continue to perfect this era in U2's history. You are hearing less and less talk about singles than we used to hear and more about so-and-so's new album. At music award ceremonies, artists don't just play one song but rather two or three. The Rock'N'Roll Hall Of Fame annivesary concert showcased the biggests artists of all time and while those artists did play their hits, they also played songs we know but ones we haven't heard in many years (which are often some of them best [Gloria, Hawkmoon, Acrobat]). I mean obviously they have to release the hits from an album as singles cause its tradition, but fewer singles are being released.

With NLOTH they released what would be they three big hits (Boots, Magnificent and Crazy). Get On Your Boots was a flop. it failed. While it is a great song, the lyrics have a little to be desired, I didn't think it is their best. Magnificent just never took off for whatever reason. To all you critics of NLOTH undoubtedly it IS a great songs. As is Crazy Tonight. You say it was a throw away, but it is definitely one of the best on the album. The remix sucks thou.

So I guess what I am trying to say is: before you waste hours debating whether or not it should be Moment of Surrender or Breathe or Unknown Caller or No Line, consider whether another single is actually going to happen. Consider where music is headed or whether singles are the thing. If you don't agree with me, I don't care. But when i look at music, this is what i see happening

Sorry but I don't share your point of view. Coldplay's Viva la vida got its immense success because of one single smashing hit, the titletrack. And on iTunes or whatever, people often buy only the songs they hear on MTV/radio. Maybe they are more important in the pop world than in the rock world, but I think they are still the best "trailer" to an album. Proof is that NLOTH could have sold much more with a better choice of the singles.

• Subscriber

when you can start a petition to get a band to number 1 for xmas without a , singles dont mean shit, they do to the pop kids (lots of pop music out nowdays and lots of shite rnb, crap rap) now i suppose and only a handful of u2 collectors, (like me)

saying that if there were no more u2 singles and more ep's ill be happy. getting a number 1 single doesnt mean much as it did in the 60's 70's 80's and 90's.

the 00's has really been fucked up by simon cowell and his pop idol, x factor clown shows full of pap.

• Subscriber

i have to agree with xalira in this. i don care about the singles cause like most fans i 'll go out to buy every new album. but from a sales point of view, a 'smashing hit' is needed to draw attention to the album, and get the masses to buy it (or should i say in this times : to download it for free.eyes.gif.. so maybe doesnt make sense...frown.gif and this discussion is pointless?)

• Subscriber

Singles are still relevant, as that is what the top 40 sales are based on - but downloads seem to account for more now than physical single product as tehy're cheaper and more convenient. i still like having a CD single as a few/most(?) of us still collect U2 releases. Singles also give the bands/labels valuable exposure of new material and may tempt people to buy the related album.

Great singles = plenty of airplay = more album sales = your act or band doesn't get written off by cynics

• Subscriber

in the UK single sales are at a all time high due to downloads, 98% of single sales are downloads

Albums sales for 2009 dropped 5 % with the sales mainly being down to cd sales

People are tending to pick songs these days not artists , not many new artists have fanbases anymore because people are picking different artists songs , the artist dosent really matter these days its the songs[unless your someone like a u2 or maddonna who has massive fan bases]

• Subscriber

I don't disagree that some singles are good or that they sell. im saying that when the majority of music is downloaded toady, it is downloaded illegally. or with itunes or whatever you use. but people arent buying singles anymoreorreally even albums, but rather an individual song of an artist. so in someways u could say singles will be the only way for artists to survive in todays music enviroment. when i say you hear less talk of singlesit because peoplearen'tbuying the singletheyre saying "did u hear this new songs? its awesome, whose it by again?" Its not about the artist anymore it seems, but rather the song. But when you look at the artists themselves, they seem to be trying to fight this new movement by promoting their albums instead of the best songs on it. So I guess its a matter of perspective; Do you think there can be an alternative to singles or are we at a point now where ALBUMS become irrelevant?

• Subscriber

albums will always be the meat and potatoes i think, i hope anyway!

some of the best albums i own hardly have had any single releases, does that make them bad artists or their art bad?

the way i see singles now is, singles (cd singles) are for the pop kids. the last time i went into hmv, they only stock the top 10 cd singles, anything out of the top 10 you have to buy online. now which adult would pop into hmv to by a single, sure there will be some, but not as important as the 90's cd singles are, to us u2 fans? well i collect so more cd singles is cool, but i wouldnt lose any sleep if u2 were to stop releasing them.

and to me singles dont mean anything if they are downloaded, call me an old fart but its lazy and i call it fast food music (downloading). by a click of a button you can get a song, rather than getting your lazy ass to a shop to buy the record.

the trad cd single is dead. you can still have hits off an album without singles. looks at bad and until the end of the world, 2 u2 hits, probably the biggest live songs too, and neither of them were singles.

• Subscriber

I like singles, but have been put off buying them because they are almost impossible to find. yes you can get them on itunes etc... but when it comes to some singles (such as U2) I want a hard copy i can keep to collect. But try to get a U2 single in any shop you have to order or wait days after ordering it on line - not impatient but I want to buy it then listen straight away! But when it comes to x-factor etc... these are the only singles available in a shop. To be told by an assistant in hmv that i have to order a u2 single as they don't stock singles anymore when i can see the latest xfactor crap for sale in front of me is wrong. No wonder all this crap is getting to number onenad having airplay when it's the only stuff you can buy.

Maybe I'm getting old and reminising but i like singles.

yes i think singles are still important,i don,t download anything so this is the only way i have of adding to my collection,and yes they are getting harder and harder to find espically with fewer music shops than there used to be.i would be totally lost if i lost hmv the only place i can get anything,even they sometimes don,t have what i,m looking for.