Stranded? Thumbs up or thumbs down?

I think it's a catchy song which will probably attract the attention it was intended to but has Bono just set himself up for more ridicule from non U2 fans? I think maybe he has. Although I can't imagine he'll be concerned, I can see the Bono-bashing press describing him as an aged rock star hanging on to JayZ and Rihanna and possibly describing his voice as weak and past it. 
The right of being ridiculous is something he holds dear, don't forget it wink.gif 
Anyway, it was Bono and Edge to have the idea and write the song, so any criticism from the press about their performance or involvement would be simply cynism/hate towards them, as they kept a very down-to-Earth attitude, like all the other performers. 
(and the studio version sounds much better!)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='xalira wrote:

Elaine1202']I think it's a catchy song which will probably attract the attention it was intended to but has Bono just set himself up for more ridicule from non U2 fans? I think maybe he has. Although I can't imagine he'll be concerned, I can see the Bono-bashing press describing him as an aged rock star hanging on to JayZ and Rihanna and possibly describing his voice as weak and past it. 

The right of being ridiculous is something he holds dear, don't forget it wink.gif 

Anyway, it was Bono and Edge to have the idea and write the song, so any criticism from the press about their performance or involvement would be simply cynism/hate towards them, as they kept a very down-to-Earth attitude, like all the other performers. 
(and the studio version sounds much better!)

but we know this is bollocks. bono's voice is fine for his age, and we know he is belting it out on the 360 tour.

I was happy to see Bono taking part in the event. I don´t think the time frame they had, which was a week, interfered with the quality of the lyrics and song, but it´s a fact that we couldn´t hear Bono´s voice much. However, I wasn´t disappointed. It was a collaboration. I think it´s good that he let Rhianna shine in the song. I can see why he invited her to take part in it (considering what happened to her last year). As to Jay-Z. I understand he´s big in the US just as rap is, so there you go.

To me that performanced confirmed that Bono is not a obnoxious and self-centered person as some claim he is.

I was happy to see Bono taking part in the event. I don´t think the time frame they had, which was a week, interfered with the quality of the lyrics and song, but it´s a fact that we couldn´t hear Bono´s voice much. However, I wasn´t disappointed. It was a collaboration. I think it´s good that he let Rhianna shine in the song. I can see why he invited her to take part in it (considering what happened to her last year). As to Jay-Z. I understand he´s big in the US just as rap is, so there you go.

To me that performanced confirmed that Bono is not a obnoxious and self-centered person as some claim he is.

exactly. and to add to this, Rihanna's voice, i think, is good enough to let her shine in that song, without her and jay-z, I don't think the song would've been complete in a way. it just made a lot of sense to put them in on this song, and the outcome was great!! happy.gif
  • Subscriber

I know it was done for the right reasons, but it's a poor song. Had this been a standard collaboration, it would have been jumped all over. It's a thumbs down from me. I hope people do buy it though as the cause is truely exceptional.

I know it was done for the right reasons, but it's a poor song. Had this been a standard collaboration, it would have been jumped all over. It's a thumbs down from me. I hope people do buy it though as the cause is truely exceptional.
I truely agree. If other artists took the place of Bono and The Edge, and performed w/Jay-Z and Rihanna, I don't think anyone on this site would've cared for the song. It was great when they collaborated w/Paul Mc Cartney on Sgt. Pepper, Keith Richards and Ziggy Marley on Love Rescue Me, even with Mary J. Blige on One, or Pavarotti on Miss Sarajevo....but this?
  • Subscriber

Maybe the song is one big metaphor? Bono and Edge represent the impoverished Haitian people, their voices crying out, desperately trying to be heard. Jay Z and Rhiana represent the overpowering, destructive and loud earthquake. The end result, the song, represents the catastrophic disaster that comes from these two things combined. Yeah, Yeah, Uh Uh.