Health Care

u2ireland

• Subscriber

Hi,

I'm curious, with so many countries represented here and the "debate" in the U.S about health care reform...

What type of health care do you have in your country? Is is considered successful? Please state your country too.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

I think it's a mix of state-run and private-run healthcare.

Basically, until 18 years most of doctor visits, medical procedures, hospital days and etc are either for free or at a very reduced price. That's why all teens visit every possible doctor before they're 18 :D (and yeah, this doesn't apply to private hospitals and stuff like that though).

And when you're an adult you basically have to pay everything. But if your emplyoer happens to insure you, you may pay less or nothing at all. Like I could - my previous employer had such a good insurance for me that I could go to pretty much every doc for free.

When you're not employed or don't have an insurance, you pay most/everything, yet on certain cases you get healthcare cheaper.

And it's quite a FAIL for those who don't have insurance or aren't that wealth, but at least I have not heard a single case when insurance was declined because of a "precondition" (or whatever that shit's called).

Who wants charity shut down?

Well, there are some people who are always wimpering about how the clinics bring the "wrong kind" of people into their area. As a result they often vote on issues which make it harder for charity clinics to operate to provide healthcare to those who don't have insurance.

Our healthcare in the US is a joke. Unfortunately Obamacare is no better.

See, the problem is they let too many lobbyists have a voice by accepting their bribes. So no matter how you're going to package it, in America healthcare will be a joke.

• Subscriber
Our healthcare in the US is a joke. Unfortunately Obamacare is no better.

See, the problem is they let too many lobbyists have a voice by accepting their bribes. So no matter how you're going to package it, in America healthcare will be a joke.

nobody's gonna get health care right in America the first time around.  don't you think one imperfect health care bill can, over time and with bipartisanship, turn into a more perfect health care bill?  i sure hope so.  my pharmacy bills last year were over $50,000, no joke, so this really affects me.

• Subscriber
Hi,

I'm curious, with so many countries represented here and the "debate" in the U.S about health care reform...

What type of health care do you have in your country? Is is considered successful? Please state your country too.

I did not answer your question and I'm sorry for that.  I live in America.  I got sick when I was 17 and have been disabled ever since.  I got put on Social Security Disability Income.  Because I got sick so young, I had not worked a lot and get a whopping $806.00 to live on per month.  However, my amount was so low that I got Medicaid which I thank God for every single day because it pays for just about everything with very low copays.  The negative side of this is that the word, "Medicaid" is akin to welfare in most eyes here and there is a huge stigma to being on it but I've no choice.  I am able to work when I can but it's not really that often that I am able to do so.  Most months it's $806.00 and when that runs out, a guy does not eat.  That, to me; if I heard someone else say, would seem horrible but I've got it so much better than so many other Americans who decide whether they will eat or buy their medicine.  People without healthcare here basically use the emergency rooms and then don't pay the bill.  In some cases it has gotten so bad that people use emergency rooms under false names because they've already used them and their real names will come up in the system.  So they face a choice:  lie and find out what's wrong with you or your kid or tell the truth and get denied, unless you are in immediate danger of dying.

I also know people who work 50, 60 hours a week and still don't have health care and can't afford it.  So despite my bad turn of health, I am one of the extremely fortunate ones here.  Anyone in Congress has what we call a "golden cadillac" policy which covers everything, almost no copays.  People are starting to get angry and demanding they have the same policy.  I don't see it happening though.